Ships Nostalgia banner

SS France/Norway/Blue Lady photolog - Life & death of a great lady of the sea

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sparkie2182 
#1 ·
Peter Knego has visited Alang many times and taken several photos of the beautiful France/Norway/Blue Lady as she met her untimely end on the breakers beach. The images can be seen here, they are copyrighted, so please do not copy or upload...

http://www.midshipcentury.com/blueladypage.shtml

#3 ·
Maritime Matters did a superb hisory of the ship and Peter added photos of her shortly before, after and during her demise to that history....scroll down the page on the link for photos taken in Alang...

http://www.maritimematters.com/norway.html

The bow snip is a ceremony done to every ship just before breaking starts, it is a religious type celebration of the ship, a thanks for her life and a prayer for the safety of those about to break her.

#4 ·
ship breaking

of all passenger ships or ocean liners built - the france as built was the most beautiful of all - sadly i did not like her interiors as much - nor her later reincarnation as the norway - albeit she gained a few more years - i have over the years spent countless hours and discussions regarding the preservation of any particular ship - i now find myself arguing against such ships being preserved at all - despite the fact that there have been success with the queen mary - qe 2 - rotterdam - cap san deigo - and of late the doulos - my list does not include the united states - which in my personal and humble opinion should have been scrapped years ago - or other lesser known ships - my point is - it takes - time - money - dedication and lots of hard work - and while initially the will is there - after a time - the interest fades - we back home are fortunate to have 3 tugs and 2 naval craft that have been maintained by a few interested people - but even then - the dedication has nettled down to almost nothing - to the point that one has been earmarked for scrapping the jr more and sas durban - having finally been given a make over last august 2019 - after languishing for years in a rotten state at the maritime museum where they were berted with the ulundi - so my opinion - for what its worth - all vessels should either be scuttled or sunk and as a last resort scrapped

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.