My fathers (Tommy Irving) Esso Ships - Ships Nostalgia
18:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

My fathers (Tommy Irving) Esso Ships

Old 18th August 2009, 22:49

My fathers (Tommy Irving) Esso Ships

My father, Tommy Irving (sadly no longer with us, died 1992) from Newcastle upon Tyne worked for Esso (Purser/Chief Catering Officer), for about 37 years. I think over the years he sailed on Esso Westminster, Hibernia, Ulidia, Northumbria and others. He started working for Esso about 1949/50 I think. I would be great to hear from anyone who worked with him.
Old 19th August 2009, 11:49
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Artworker and a warm welcome to SN. Quite a few ex Esso lads on board, so you might get some news. Bon voyage.
Old 26th August 2009, 09:55

My location
Hi Artworker and welcome to the site.I do remember your Father Tom very well as we sailed together in the "Esso Westminster" for 3 months in late 69 where I was 2nd Mate. We all had nicknames and his was 'Telephone Tom' - the intercabin phones were a great toy and had been newly installed onboard so he put them to good use (don't forget that the calls were free !). I am sorry to learn of his passing - he must have died at an early age.Tom was a great character and looked after us extremely well onboard as we worked hard with port calls every other day it seemed around the UK/Cont coast - he is well remembered.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:52

My location
Hi Artworker, Esso Westminster was late 68 not 69 - must be the age showing.
Cheers
Old 12th October 2010, 13:21
Alex Chapman
Active: 1967 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by artworker View Post
My father, Tommy Irving (sadly no longer with us, died 1992) from Newcastle upon Tyne worked for Esso (Purser/Chief Catering Officer), for about 37 years. I think over the years he sailed on Esso Westminster, Hibernia, Ulidia, Northumbria and others. He started working for Esso about 1949/50 I think. I would be great to hear from anyone who worked with him.
Hi,
I sailed with your Dad on the Ulidia, in fact I've just posted a picture of him, we were paying of up the gulf, 1972!! great bloke, sorry to hear of his passing away.

Alex Chapman (Jnr Eng at the time)
Old 8th February 2011, 15:44

Tommy Irving

Hello Artworker,

I sailed as 3rd. Mate on Esso Westminster from Sept 1969 to sometime in 1971 with a 3 month spell on Esso Oxford. I knew Tommy well and he looked after us very well. I am very sorry to hear of his passing.Ken Mc Innes was Master on my first tour with Tommy Harper and various others following.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:47
Alex Chapman

Esso??

Hello Arthur,
I think I sailed with you on the Scotia??
Hope you are well!
Alex Chapman
Old 8th February 2011, 19:29

Esso Scotia

Hello Alex, I am fine thanks and I hope you are the same. After my 6 years with Esso I spent 6 months on Ferries between Rosslare and Le Havre. Then I came to Bantry Bay and worked for Gulf Oil for 28 years under many different owners and took early retirement in 2004 at the age of 58, I was then Purchasing Manager while previously I was a Pollution Control Officer and then Marine Supervisor. I was lucky on the day of the big disaster in 1979, I was off attending a wedding in Dublin and the guy wheo replaced me was killed along with 50 others. I guess you would call it a close call. I am enjoying retirement now at the age of 65 just pottering about house painting and gardening and of course too much TV. Take care and nice to hear fron you.
Old 9th February 2011, 09:41
Alex Chapman

Hi Arthur, close call indeed, I remember it well, only docked at Bantry once, on the Warwickshire, 1970, I think.
I lasted 28 years with Esso, ending up as Chief Eng on the small coasters, visited Ireland a few times, Cobh, New Ross, Shannon, Dublin, all good times, spent a couple of years on supply boats out of Aberdeen, then for the last 12 years, on the Tugs in Edinburgh Harbour, retired last year.
Now living in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, like you, pottering and watching too much Sky Sports!!!, nice to hear from you too Arthur, take care.