HMS Caroline - Belfast - Ships Nostalgia
01:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Caroline - Belfast

Old 19th August 2009, 11:44

HMS Caroline - Belfast

I see from another web site that, according to the Belfast Telegraph, HMS Caroline is to be decommissioned by the RN "at the end of the year".

For those that do not know, HMS Caroline is the last remaining RN ship from the Battle of Jutland and has served as the base for Northern Ireland RNR for many years. I did a couple of trips on the RNR sweepers from Belfast - both Ton Class and MSF - and was able to have a look round Caroline.

The question now of course is what will happen to this historic vessel? As has been said here many times before, we in the UK have an appalling record for looking after our maritme history and I fear that there is a real chance that this unique and clearly historic ship may end up rotting away somewhere.

Does anyone know of the possible future of Caroline - will she stay in Belfast, maybe go to Portsmouth or Chatham or even London?

Whatever happens, I only the hope that the ship will be looked after/restored and will have a future.

McC
Old 19th August 2009, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloggie View Post
I see from another web site that, according to the Belfast Telegraph, HMS Caroline is to be decommissioned by the RN "at the end of the year".

For those that do not know, HMS Caroline is the last remaining RN ship from the Battle of Jutland and has served as the base for Northern Ireland RNR for many years. I did a couple of trips on the RNR sweepers from Belfast - both Ton Class and MSF - and was able to have a look round Caroline.

The question now of course is what will happen to this historic vessel? As has been said here many times before, we in the UK have an appalling record for looking after our maritme history and I fear that there is a real chance that this unique and clearly historic ship may end up rotting away somewhere.

Does anyone know of the possible future of Caroline - will she stay in Belfast, maybe go to Portsmouth or Chatham or even London?

Whatever happens, I only the hope that the ship will be looked after/restored and will have a future.

McC
Dont know what will happen but i think it is nailed on that she will go for scrap !!
Old 7th September 2009, 13:21

When we were on the XSV LOYAL MODERATOR on an out of area crise to Scotland we stopped at Belfast and refuelled alongside HMS CAROLINE. We were fortunate in having Lt cdr Pigeon as our OSA who spent his last years in the RN at commander of the CAROLINE so we had the opportunity to be taken on a guided tour

Special interest was the emergency steering, and the engine room. Where we was told if you see someone in white overalls check his feet as it could be the ghost of an engineer.

The last time I went aboard (early 90s), they had striped the main deck for replanking.