Forresbank Fire - Ships Nostalgia
19:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Forresbank Fire

Old 22nd August 2009, 09:37

My location
Forresbank Fire

I thought you may find the following attachment interesting, some will remember it and perhaps give us some more facts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forres fire021.jpg (161.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:38

My location
For reference the date of the incident was the 9th November 1958 according to Miramar.
Kris
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

I have met Ben Masey dozens of times and he has never mentioned his harrowing experience aboard "Forresbank". Just goes to show you that heros are born and not made. Latterly, Ben was either a pilot or on the cross-channel ferry boats, I forget which! Perhaps someone can let me know?
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:05
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
The Forresbank fire has been the subject on some of the threads here earlier, and as mentioned earlier, John Beale was the second mate on watch at the time the flames were first seen coming out of the engine room skylight. He was then in charge of one of the lifeboats, and from the lifeboat took a cinefilm of the vessel burning , which is very dramatic.

( We were apprentices together on the Maplebank, late 50's)

I am in regular contact with John, and as a result of the SN site, and after 50 years, he has recently been able to make contact with the R/O ( now in NZ) and the engineer who was on watch at the time.

The cinefilm has been put on a disc, and I am sure John would glady send a copy to anyone with a personal interest or involvement in the burning and loss of the Forresbank.

Again, through one of the SN colleagues, I discovered that the binnacle is still in pride of place in a bar / restaurant called '' The Crayfish '' near Port Elizabeth!

AL
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:11

My location
Another Disaster

''Trentbank.'' This was a report in The Merchant Navy Journal April-June 1965.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trentbank027.jpg (207.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:47
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
As I recall not so much a steering problem but that the gyro wandered... a Brown.. the one where the card used to bounce up and down all the time......
Had the same thing happen on a ship I was on near Trinidad about 1967 but we didn't hit anything. Also happened on Rhodesia Castle outwards in the channel about 1966. South of the Isle of Wight gyro wandered and she laid herself alongside a german ship going the same way... soon after that they started fitting those little magnetic compasses in a box... had the beam with the photoelectric cell that you had to align.. v simple.. v effective
Old 23rd August 2009, 15:19

Re Trentbank. Only hearsay but I understood that the auto-helm was not properly engaged -the lever left in the 'electric' wheel position - between hydraulic and auto. Had small magnetic compass off course alarms fitted after this incident. IRW
Old 1st September 2009, 16:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

Forresbank fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
The Forresbank fire has been the subject on some of the threads here earlier, and as mentioned earlier, John Beale was the second mate on watch at the time the flames were first seen coming out of the engine room skylight. He was then in charge of one of the lifeboats, and from the lifeboat took a cinefilm of the vessel burning , which is very dramatic.

( We were apprentices together on the Maplebank, late 50's)

I am in regular contact with John, and as a result of the SN site, and after 50 years, he has recently been able to make contact with the R/O ( now in NZ) and the engineer who was on watch at the time.

The cinefilm has been put on a disc, and I am sure John would glady send a copy to anyone with a personal interest or involvement in the burning and loss of the Forresbank.

Again, through one of the SN colleagues, I discovered that the binnacle is still in pride of place in a bar / restaurant called '' The Crayfish '' near Port Elizabeth!

AL
Hi,
I am Ben Masey and was Senior apprentice on the Forresbank.I would like to contact John Beale and obtain a copy of his film.
I have recently written an account of this incident for the Bank Line Association newsletter which should be printed soon.
For details of the association contact:
Brian Lucy. brianlucy@btinternet.com