Captain "Danny" Marr - Ships Nostalgia
11:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captain "Danny" Marr

Old 19th September 2009, 10:14
Wire Puller
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Question Captain "Danny" Marr

Does anyone remember Captain Marr? He was the captain of the Queen Mary in 1964 when I was Bridge Boy on her. A real Gent as I recall, quiet spoken and polite, even to us Bridge Boys. One of the few Captains that I remember.
Cheers!
Dickyboy
Old 19th September 2009, 13:37

Thumbs up Captain Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
Does anyone remember Captain Marr? He was the captain of the Queen Mary in 1964 when I was Bridge Boy on her. A real Gent as I recall, quiet spoken and polite, even to us Bridge Boys. One of the few Captains that I remember.
Cheers!
Dickyboy
Hi,
Yes I remember Capt Marr. I was with Cunard from 1957 to 1972 in catering majority of time as Purser/CS on the smaller ships. I think he was in commamd when my wife & I did one of the QMs final North Atlantic trips in 67. as passengers and we had a great time. Most of the Cunard masters I sailed with were gentlemen but there were a couple of exceptions .
Did you know that there is an active Queen Mary Association in Southampton ? They meet regularly for get togethers of old QM seamen of all ranks & ratings and by the sounds of their newsletters a good time is had by all. Commodore Warwick is the President of the Association.
Regards
Stuart henderson
Old 19th September 2009, 22:43
Wire Puller

My location
Hi Stuart
I did a short cruise on the QM on 22.03.67, down to Las Palmas. Returned to Soton then I went out to NY on her, paid off her there on 04.04.67 then flew down to Bermuda to join the Franconia. Capt Marr wasn't the Captain during that time. My Discharge book says it was a Capt J Jones.
Capt Marr doesn't show as the captain on my DB in 64 either. I do recall him well though.
I didn't know about the QM Assn. Sounds interesting, not the sort of thing I'm into though. I was only on the QM for a few months. My first ship.
Old 20th September 2009, 08:06

I did hear a few years ago that after he retired he went as 2nd Mate on one of Marpro's coasters. It was said that he really enjoyed it and that had he known about the coasting life years ago he would have done it.

Chris
Old 20th September 2009, 08:48
Wire Puller

My location
Brilliant if he did. His career at sea would have gone full circle, and a great reminder of his maritime roots.
One event I remember him in was in NY. He'd been ashore to some function or other in his full dress uniform. I was doing the Lift Boys job for some reason, and not the Bridge Boys. I was holding the lift for him, prior to him boarding. When he stepped off the gangway and on to a small duck-board type step, he slipped and went sprawling onto the deck. Most undignified! He just laughed, picked himself up, brushed himself down and carried on. All his entourage, Mates, Pursers etc looked horrified. He didn't seem to mind though, and nothing was said. I placed the step there, thought I'd get it in the neck. A first trip Bridge Boy, and he was God. I just assumed I'd get the blame whoever's fault it was.
There was a 2nd Mate on there, who I saw about 10 years later as 2nd Mate on Red Funnel. Perhaps he was finding his roots as well
Old 25th September 2009, 22:02
peter johnston

My location
hello all!
i think dickyboy was referring to Captain Geoffrey Marr, he was captain of the Queen Mary and also Queen Elizabeth when needed! He was the first Captain to Berth the Queen Mary in 1966 without the aid of tugs in New York ,and not hitting the Hudson Flyover,as the the Queen Elizabeth had done in previous Years before!..and i believe he was the only Cunard Line captain ever to be buried at sea..i hope this information helps a little ! oh! forgot to say ..the new york stevodores came off strike ,when he berthed her without their help and the moran tug boat company too.
regards ...peter johnston
Old 25th September 2009, 22:47
Active: 1953 - Present

My location
Captain Danny Marr

I think you will find that first unaided berthing of the QM in NY was carried out by Captain Donald Sorrell during the tug strike in 1953. I seem to recall it being mentioned in his autobiography "The Sea My Steed". I think he made up a piece of wood with a nail stuck in it to give him his angles.
Old 25th September 2009, 23:02

My location
Captain G. T. Marr............

http://rmsqueenelizabeth.com/MASTER.html
Old 1st October 2009, 12:14
Wire Puller

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Captain G. T. Marr............

http://rmsqueenelizabeth.com/MASTER.html
Intresting Link, I recognised him right away, and I hadn't seen him for 45 years. A real Gent as I recall.
Old 16th October 2009, 02:57

My location
Captain Marr

I spent nearly four years aboard RMS Caronia.
Capt. Marr did a "tour" of one year around 1963. One of his "specialties" midway through each cruise was to go down to the main lounge and give an evening lecture, complete with easel and maps, of the sinking of Bismark.
He made it really interesting, as he had a natural public speaking manner.
Most of the elderly American passengers were spellbound
Old 26th March 2011, 06:43
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1968

Hello There
Iwas on the "CARONIA" in 1963 on the night gang and I think he had been the Navigating Officer on the"Battle ship "K.G.V" or some other one that was involved in the Sinking of the "BISMARK"and he had a blackboard with the positions of the ships always let on to yer when you were in a pair of K.D's and a T'Shirt buffing the alleyways about 1am!!
Is,nt it funny what you remember did he have a scar on his face!!?
ecb
ecb
Old 18th August 2012, 19:21
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

Remember Captain Marr quite well was on the Elizabeth in 1966/67 as Assistant Purser with Captain Warwick
Old 18th August 2012, 19:23
Department: Purser
Active: 1961 - 1976

Was his nickname 'Tatty' Marr
Old 18th August 2012, 20:41
billmaca

Sailed on the Mary and the Lizzy early 60's I cant remember Captains names and my DB is to faded to read, I've just returned from a run up the Norwegian coast on the Queen Victoria with the first female Capt to sail with Cunard, Capt Inger Klein Olsen, she started her sea going career as a cleaner on a ferry in the faroes.
Old 18th August 2012, 21:01

Years ago I sailed on QE westbound during her last year. Cdr Marr was aboard and I had a letter of introduction to him from a neighbor who was a frequent Cunard passenger who knew him and Treasure Jones very well. He really adopted me, including cocktails in the suite, dinner at his table, a brandy in the Veranda Grill, and the next day bridge and engine room tours and a very brief stint at the helm (I was terrible--over steering no matter how minimal my corrections were with the QE hunting port to starboard!). Total gentleman and what a memory. Ron Warwick later mentioned that they buiried him at sea from QE2.