The Log - Ships Nostalgia
14:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Log

Old 21st September 2009, 22:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

The Log

My parents who still live in Northumberland just mailed me a copy of "The Log" Volume # 38 No. 2 Winter 1973.

Makes for interesting reading and I would scan it and post it somewhere on this site but I do not know if there is a copyright issue with the magazine and the articles in it.

Maybe someone can tell me what to do about that and also if there is any interest from other ex "Furness Withy" group guys before I spend alot of time.

Is Lord beeching who is described as the group chairman the same Lord Beeching who closed alot of the rail road tracks.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:38

My location
"Lord beeching who is described as the group chairman the same Lord Beeching who closed alot of the rail road tracks"

From 1973 to 1975.
Old 21st September 2009, 22:52

My location
After 35 years there would still be a copyright issue MJ.

It might be reasonable to quote an extract regarding a particular topic but it would not be acceptable to just copy and upload a whole load of pages.
Old 22nd September 2009, 00:25

Thanks Brian for that bit of advise. I will mention it to my attorney over here and see if he has any views on the subject concerning "in house" magazines. There is one good article written by a "Andrew I. Cook" describing his voyage onboard a ship to repair an automatic light at Doubtful Sound on the Fiordland Coast of NZ's South Island. The author was onboard the Bluff to Steward Island ferry, Wairua that was used to ferry the workers to the light.

I had to laugh when reading that "at only 147 feet long, she is the smallest fully stabilized ship in the world".

If I find it is OK to scan and upload it I am sure alot of the folks on here who either know or live in NZ will find it interesting.
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
My parents who still live in Northumberland just mailed me a copy of "The Log" Volume # 38 No. 2 Winter 1973.

Makes for interesting reading and I would scan it and post it somewhere on this site but I do not know if there is a copyright issue with the magazine and the articles in it.

Maybe someone can tell me what to do about that and also if there is any interest from other ex "Furness Withy" group guys before I spend alot of time.

Is Lord beeching who is described as the group chairman the same Lord Beeching who closed alot of the rail road tracks.
Hi Malcom.
If no problems arise re copyright, I would like a copy of it. Yes that is the "Lord Beeching" who closed the railways including lots in the North East. I read somewhere that they are thinking of opening up some of the old rural lines which would be good for tourism. Trust you and family are well.
Regards

Leo
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:54

My location
No copyright issues, so please go ahead and post it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
No copyright issues, so please go ahead and post it.
Looking forward to that MJ. Well sorted Tonga.

Regards
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:05

I have scanned the complete magazine and have it saved however when I try to upload the pages I have to do one at a time. You can read the script but I do not have the time to upload the pages like I say one at a time so if anybody wants a copy please PM me and I will email the file to you.

Marinero & Tonga, I hope you understand what I am up against so just email me and I wil send the copy to you.
Old 23rd September 2009, 07:32

Including the North Tyne line from Hexham to Riccarton Junction. ;-)
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:20

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombersman View Post

Including the North Tyne line from Hexham to Riccarton Junction. ;-)
Yes, he was chairman of T.B. Furness Withy from 1973-75.