Jumpimg ship - Ships Nostalgia
20:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Jumpimg ship

Old 30th September 2009, 23:26
Active: 1969 - 1973

Jumpimg ship

Did anyone actually jump ship and stay there,I wonder because I lost count of regretfull jumpers joining the ship on the pilot boat.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:28
Active: 1969 - 1973

Dodgy keyboard m too close to n.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:49

My one experience of a Bankline jumper was on the Beaverbank in Nola.
This was an Appy who had cherchez-ed la femme and decided to jump ship in - wait for it - Port Sulphur.
He was rounded up in double quick time and placed in our hospital under lock, key and armed guard whilst we loaded at Harmony Street. Just before sailing he was removed ashore presumably to be prepped for deportation. Never did find out the end of the story.
Old 1st October 2009, 02:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dryden View Post
Did anyone actually jump ship and stay there,I wonder because I lost count of regretfull jumpers joining the ship on the pilot boat.
Obviously they never jumped ship in Aussie or NZ as both countries are full of jumped seamen.
The only reason I gave myself up was that I had a Kiwi wife and daughter and wanted to make things kosher for them and start living and working under my own name.
Not that the cops were actively looking for me, so I could have been using my own name and as long as I kept my nose clean they would never have caught up with me.

Regards Phil
Old 1st October 2009, 08:17
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Lost a cabin mate who decided to 'jump ship' in New Plymouth N.Z. when we were apprentices together in 1955. He was a tall Geordie called White, I believe, and never have heard a word since. He gave me his excellent short wave radio prior to leaving.

Would be nice to know what happened, and if he stayed in NZ. Anyone out there????? Can you hear me, Major Tom....

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson : 1st October 2009 at 08:42.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:49

Plenty of jumpers here.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5883
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:16
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - Present

Sailed on the UK coast with an apprentice who later jumped ship in NZ. I met him in NZ where he was by then working for NZ Customs. He had given himself up, been deported, allowed back in and married the NZ women he had been with. Can't for the life of me remember his name - his father was an MN Master and was a bit ticked off.

I never jumped ship - just missed the boat in Sydney - rejoined in Adelaide with much moaning, wailing and nashing of teeth from the old man and mate!
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:33
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
wonder if the NZ and OZE government would like to make a donation to the MN....For all the excellent populace given them by the MN....LOL
Old 5th October 2009, 23:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Is it me?

Hello there XRM?

Who are you and what ships did you sail on? I fit the bill, as I skinned out in NZ in late 1969, got deported, came back, worked for the Customs dept and married my girl, still together after 40 years. The description fits and please get back to me. Do you recall Sparrow, or Mick Monger? Both deck officers in Bank Line.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 6th October 2009, 00:03

My first three weeks as an apprentice were spent in drydock in Amsterdam in 1970. First night ashore , :-) , with the Jnr Engineer we met two nice girls. I made my way back to the ship in the wee hours. The Junior followed in time for 0800 start. He told me then that he was getting married! A few daays later I went aashjore with teh Senior Apprentice. We stopped to listen to a church group singing on a street corner. He introduced himselff to the minister, got himself invited to the house for dinner and ended up marrying the minister's daughter! Meanwhile, the Junior Engineeer jumped ship on our last night in port. He was deeported but came back to Amsterdam, married his young lady and, as far as I know, he lives there still.

Stephen
Old 6th October 2009, 08:57
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - Present

Donald -- sent you an email