Hudson River Gypsum Fleet - Ships Nostalgia
03:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hudson River Gypsum Fleet

Old 7th October 2009, 17:43

Hudson River Gypsum Fleet

Does anyone know the current activates associated with the Gypsum boat fleet primarily in the Hudson river? I live right by the Stony Point/ haverstraw gypsum dock and since i was a 3 year old i have just been hooked on these massive ships that were able to navigate this far up the hudson. My dad told me there were 4 ships the gypsum king, queen, princess, and prince. There was also a story that my dad told me that before i was born one the boats was under the eye of a drunk captian and hit the dock on the way in and sunk and had to be repaired on the spot.When I got a Bit older i kept record of the ships that were docked there I saw the Gypsum King Once about 6 years or so ago and the baron a number of times. I was pretty lucky i was able to walk right up to the Dock were the ships parked and got a good veiw of the Hulls and could even read the Dept Numbers on the Bow THen about 5 years ago the dock apeared to be retrofited and a new ship called the AV. Kastner appeared, Along with a Security Fence and Guard and gone were the days of walking up to this ocean vessels. main questions are what happened to the ships prior to the AV. kastner? Is the Av. Kastner Still owned by the Gypsum company i noted that the Lettering on the stacks were changed Was there really a near sinking at the dock from a drunk captian? And were are these boats based out of and the Nationalities of the Crew?
thanks alot Also if Anyone has any pictures New or Old of these ships i really would love to see them and bring back some childhood memories
Eddie
Old 7th October 2009, 20:52

Eddie welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 13th October 2009, 23:34

Hi emsbuff124......here is GYPSUM KING
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...20King-01.html

and GYPSUM COUNTESS....
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...untess-01.html

Happy reminiscing....
Scorcher
Old 14th October 2009, 13:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Gypsum Ships

Gypsum ships have quite a history here in Nova Scotia.

Gypsum continues to be shipped out of Nova Scotian ports such as Hantsport, Little Narrows (Bras dor Lakes), Port Hawkesbury and Halifax. Many of the earlier Fundy Gypsum vessels were manned by Canadian crews. I remember the Colon Brown going aground at the entrance to Halifax harbour around 1975. She was severely damaged but eventually rebuilt as the Gold Bond Conveyor. She was eventually lost, with all hands, in a storm off south-west Nova Scotia around 1993. I believe the crew was Chinese at the time.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:16

My location
Haverstraw Bay used to be a pretty interesting place for ship-spotting during the 1960s, when the place housed one of the ready-reserve fleets of mothballed WW-II ships. However, most were either re-activated during the Vietnam War or scrapped during that decade, and now nothing remains but a single anchor on the riverbank to mark the spot. In addition, the old Hudson River Dayliner "Alexander Hamilton", one of the last side-wheelers still in service anywhere, could often be seen steaming majestically up and down the river between New York and Poughkeepsie.

All that is pretty much gone, now. The Alexander Hamilton was wrecked by a storm at her moorings out at Sandy Hook, while awaiting permission to be towed upriver for conversion into a restaurant. The once-thriving Haverstraw brick-making industry (they once made all the bricks used in the construction of New York City) has been eclipsed by bricks made literally by slave labor in China. All that remains are a few scows loading paving gravel from the trap-rock quarry below High Tor, and who knows how long that may last?
Old 21st October 2009, 14:26

Here is the GYPSUM EMPRESS. I never saw them living in the UK
but I hope it brings back good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-10-09 gypsum empress xxx.jpg (15.5 KB, 38 views)
Scorcher

Last edited by scorcher : 21st October 2009 at 14:35.
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:22
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 4th February 2011, 06:44
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1970

Trip up the Hudson River

Eddie,
I know that you posted this more than a year ago, but I joined this site a few days ago, and I chance a response anyway.

Your entry immediately brought a big smile to my face. I made a couple trips to Stony Point on the Gypsum Queen, in 1968-69. That was always a thrill to go that far up the Hudson, and especially if one was lucky enough to be at the wheel (That was part of the job). No video game will ever give anyone as much pleasure as steering a large ship - up and down the Saint Lawrence seaway for example, going through all the locks.

I don't remember much about Stony Point, except that as soon as we got off the ship we seemed to be in town. Very few of us even carried cameras in those days, so I doubt tat I have any picture. I should look at my old pictures sometime...

Whenever, later in life, I mentioned going up the Hudson River, I would get blank looks back. Either people didn't understand what I meant, or they thougt I was exagerating. Thanks for the wonderful memory.
LaFlamme

P.S. The Gypsum Queen flew the British Flag, the captain was American and most of the crew were Canadians, with a couple guys of other nationalities. The adventures we had....

Last edited by LaFlamme : 4th February 2011 at 06:50.