Salt Junk - Ships Nostalgia
19:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Salt Junk

Old 22nd October 2009, 10:46

Salt Junk

I see that Marks & Spencer have started selling "Dry Cured Salt Beef Joint", this is about the closest I've come across to the salt junk we used to get at sea. May appeal to older members nostagic for past memories. My only gripe with it is it is not salty enough. I suppose the health people would complain if it was otherwise.
Old 22nd October 2009, 13:38

I cannot remember if I ever had salt junk on ships, but I certainly remember early on in my career while serving on sailing barges having it.

Regards Robert
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:52

My location
In my time in the galley it was called Brisket of Beef, maybe that looked better on the menu, it was still Salt Beef and had to be soaked in water or well washed off at least before cooking.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:19

My location
Funny you should say that. I was in a M&S food store at lunchtime and they were going on about reducing the salt in all their products. I guess they will have a problem reducing the salt content of salt beef - it will become salt-free beef.
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:42
Retired Ancient Mariner
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Its always been on sale in the big grocery chains here.
Sells in 1 gallon pails as "Naval Beef" and is a favourite with our Newfoundland citizens who serve it up in "Jiggs Dinner"
Boiled vegetables, eg Carrots, cabbage, turnip, potato and salt beef all in the same pot. One cupful of split peas is also added
The beef is drained and soaked overnight in fresh water
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Brisket of beef! the most God awful meal ever served on a ship! next to dried salt cod that is!
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:00

Brisket

I have just ordered a lump of Brisket of Beef from our local butcher, now if you cook it right on a low heat it is one of the tastiest cuts of beef
Old 22nd October 2009, 23:39
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
My son cooks it in beer when he makes BBQ out of it,pulls it all off the bones before serving,very good.

John.
Old 23rd October 2009, 04:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
My son cooks it in beer when he makes BBQ out of it,pulls it all off the bones before serving,very good.

John.
What beer John, that sounds bloody lovely
Old 23rd October 2009, 04:16

My location
That would be American beer, similar to strong water in UK or Canada
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:08
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Brisket rolled and roasted very slowly is delicious. the sweetest meat on the beast. Get some nice dripping off it too!
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:43
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
Brisket of beef! the most God awful meal ever served on a ship! next to dried salt cod that is!
Beef Brisket Cooked with Plenty of Veg and stock for a few hours yum yum.

Corned Pork Leg similar

Salt Cod if soaked to remove the salt it tastes yum yum when fried in beer batter and Chips and Mushy peas

Ray
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:45

My location
I hope I'm not getting mixed up BT, I was thinking of that red and white, salted beef; not too thinly sliced, with that dark brown oxtail tasting gravy poured over it! I'm definately off the salt cod, sailed with a Liverpool captain once who liked to eat it every day, bloody bonkers he was!
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:05
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
I hope I'm not getting mixed up BT, I was thinking of that red and white, salted beef; not too thinly sliced, with that dark brown oxtail tasting gravy poured over it! I'm definately off the salt cod, sailed with a Liverpool captain once who liked to eat it every day, bloody bonkers he was!
I think we have a different recipe I think you mean the brisket that's been soaked in brine with loads of saltpetre, usually soaked for about a week in brine then wash the brine of and simmer in stock. when sliced the meat does have a reddish colour while the fats off white. yum yum.

Ray
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:12

We often have brisket pot roasted in onion gravy, My wife and I find it the tastiest flavoured beef there is. Or shin of beef with suet dumplings for a casserole, my belly's rumbling typing this.

Regards Robert
Old 24th October 2009, 13:13

My location
lakercapt
Retired Ancient Mariner

My location
Its always been on sale in the big grocery chains here.
Sells in 1 gallon pails as "Naval Beef" and is a favourite with our Newfoundland citizens who serve it up in "Jiggs Dinner"
Boiled vegetables, eg Carrots, cabbage, turnip, potato and salt beef all in the same pot. One cupful of split peas is also added
The beef is drained and soaked overnight in fresh water

Newfoundland was also the only place I've ever been where the grocers actually sell "Hard Tack". They soak it for twenty-four hours (it really is HARD!), boil it with salt cod and then serve it up as what they call "Fish and Brewis", which is purported to be the national dish of Newfoundland. It's also the only place I ever was in a restaurant that served fried codfish cheeks and tongues, which are a great Newfie favorite. They also regard seal flippers as a delicacy.

Last edited by Klaatu83 : 24th October 2009 at 13:16.
Old 24th October 2009, 13:18
Retired Ancient Mariner
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu83 View Post
Newfoundland was also the only place I've ever been where the grocers actually sell "Hard Tack". They soak it for twenty-four hours (it really is HARD!), boil it with salt cod and then serve it up as what they call "Fish and Brewis", which is purported to be the national dish of Newfoundland. It's also the only place where I ever was ever in a restaurant that served fried codfish cheeks and tongues, which are a great Newfie favorite. They also regard seal flippers as a delicacy.
Sailed with a "Newfie" crew as the only outsider and got severed these "delicacies" on a a regular basis and never got to liking them. The Figgie duff that was served with the salt fish and brewis was OK
Old 25th October 2009, 18:01

My location
Guess what I found in the fridge.One of the hazzards of marrying an East Coaster!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01883.jpg (60.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01884.jpg (66.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 5th March 2010, 04:58

Try making a white sauce with mustard and horse radish o go over the beef and vegetables. Standard fare at our place especially in winter. Prudence
Old 5th March 2010, 05:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
I think we have a different recipe I think you mean the brisket that's been soaked in brine with loads of saltpetre, usually soaked for about a week in brine then wash the brine of and simmer in stock. when sliced the meat does have a reddish colour while the fats off white. yum yum.

Ray
Yes Ray, that's the stuff could never get to enjoy it even when were ran out of food one trip.

All the sodium nitrate in the Newfie photos, could probably turn it into explosive if needed.
Old 5th March 2010, 08:03

My location
Used to eat a lot of it in NZ with Puha. Loved it!

Taff
Old 5th March 2010, 08:43
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
I had a spanish bloke in the crew a few years back. He went ashore in Ushuaia and brought back some bacalao. Imported all the way from Spain with a price to match.... so you soak it for a few weeks with frequent changes of fresh water to get rid of the salt.. then he cooked it up and served it with mash.... very nice but not a whole lot different to a tin of jurel mixed through some mash...which takes 10 minutes start to finish.... maybe my taste buds are stuffed....

That said I reckon corned beef or brisket is good tucker....
Old 5th March 2010, 08:50
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
"The flensed, dried and crucified fillet looks anything but appetising. Old-vest off-white in colour and coated with a rough salty dandruff, its texture is of balsa wood and its aroma faintly urinal."

pinched that from here... http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...the_world.html
Old 9th March 2010, 09:25

explosive bully beef

Dear Billy Boy things aint what they used to be. Here we have to register our fertilizer and keep it locked up...now you are suggesting a YALE LOCK OR TWO ON THE FRIDGE..truly the security guys would eat all the evidence and i'd have to fall back on toast and sardines for dinner....and you don't get my Grandmother's secret receipe for that one.
Old 11th March 2010, 01:19
Active: 1976 - Present

Salt beef,salt pork and salt fish....was brought up on it and it's great!! Pickled brisket is good too which i get from the local butcher.
Not a very healthy diet nowadays but hey they had no fridges years ago so everything had to be salted to preserve meat and some of them lived to a ripe old age!!