HMCS Kootenay, Remembered - Ships Nostalgia
16:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMCS Kootenay, Remembered

Old 22nd October 2009, 16:27

My location
HMCS Kootenay, Remembered

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...explosion.html
Old 23rd October 2009, 05:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
Thanks for the reminder DMA, interesting that the official report is still classified, who is covering who?
Old 24th October 2009, 16:12

I remember, on my first ship, the engineer pointing at the gearbox and telling me that it was the exact one as on the Kootenay. Then he proceeded to tell me the details, since I was only 8 when the accident occurred and had no idea what he was talking about!
Old 25th October 2009, 07:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
See coverage at today's memorial ceremony at:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1149166.html
and
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1149300.html

Last edited by Keltic Star : 25th October 2009 at 07:04. Reason: Added URL
Old 18th April 2010, 13:59

If my memory serves me corectly the gearbox explosion was caused by a bearing shell incorectly fitted (backwards, as I understand) leading to oil starvation on the journal. I do remember the incident, just a kid at the time, there were a few cases of poor fitting in HMC Dockyard. Does any one recall the Margree losing her main turbines? She blew one, think stbd, spent two months repairing, then bent port turbine shaft on trials. Was in the Marine Slips by that time as an Engine Fitter.

BTW, Dartmouth Marine Slips is now defunct, sold by Irving to a foreign intrest to become a high end condo development.

Cheers, Dumah
Halifax, NS
Old 2nd August 2010, 05:47

Been aboard several of the st laurent class ships in their day in the 1980's, visiting & making comparrisons to types we used in american navy, koontz, adams, etc, etc & the topic of the reduction gear box came up, mainly the Kootenay... we had escape trunks & hatches from construction, reduction gear cases had electrostatic vent fog precipitators & a dehumidification system as well. Also how could you put a gear bearing in backwards, as they only fit one way & one way only... strange & recently being aboard a ship & having sevaral gears replaced & bearing as well by northrum gruman corp, the techs made sure they went in properly and i inquired abiout this, they told me they only fit one way!! no if ands or buts about it, wonder about those gear boex on the st laurent types, who were they built by, anyone know?
Old 14th June 2011, 22:04
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1968

These gear boxes and associated turbines were English Electric,excellent kit,until a matey (dkyd) gets a shell in ass about to. This could be done ,hence the lube starvation and resultant overheating. She had operated with it for a good period of time,and at speed.A damn shame,I had mates in her at the time. Regards,Ken