Anybody sailed with John F Pilling? - Ships Nostalgia
23:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anybody sailed with John F Pilling?

Old 28th October 2009, 04:11

Anybody sailed with John F Pilling?

My dad sailed with Blue Funnel, I think on the Perseus and others. I'm trying to learn a bit more about his career. A book called Voyage East was probably a typical voyage he would of made. Is there an organization of the Blue Funnel employees perhaps? I have a ships bell that I believe was from one of the Agemenmon ships. I have a few of John's published stories, and can appreciate how some of you guys got to writing short stories on your long voyages. Also anyone know a Fred Devereux from Liverpool who later emigrated to Charleston, SC, USA. Thank you.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:47

My location
Welcome aboard Mark from Brisbane, I am sure the Blue Flu boys will be able to help you enjoy the trip.

GWB
Old 29th October 2009, 18:43

I sailed with a John Pilling on the Calchas in 1949. I think he was from the Fleetwood area and he was very keen on dinghy sailing. She was the 'middy ship' at the time, i.e. the deck crew were all middies. Johnny was the lamptrimmer, or leading seaman. The voyage was a fairly typical blue funnel voyage of those days, out through the Suez Canal to Malaya, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Japan and back via the same ports, plus Colombo, Casablanca and Le Havre. We were berthed just ahead of the Amethyst in Shanghai and were there when she set off on her fateful voyage up the Yangtze and the Consort took her place, coming in with ten dead stretched out on her foredeck under ensigns.
I met him again in 1960 when he relieved me as Mate on the Automedon for a voyage to Indonesia. We lost touch shortly after that - a common occurrence with seafarers - so I never found out how he fared through the ructions that were to follow as the fleet declined.
There's a picture of the Calchas in 1949 at:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/chinaboats/calchas.html
Cheers, John
Old 29th October 2009, 19:12

Forgot to add that there is a Blue Funnel Association. The address of the secretary is:
Dave Molyneux
375 Leasowe Road
Moreton Wirral
CH46 2RE
Cheers, John
Old 29th October 2009, 19:57

Hello Mark

My father was Master of the Telamon from Feb.1964 to April 1965 and the Chief Officer was Johnny Pilling, could this be your father? I'll mention this to my Dad and if he has any more info i'll let you know.

Regards
Old 30th October 2009, 16:07
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Hank your website is extremely interesting, thanks for pointing it out to us.
And a must for the Blue Flu brigade.
Old 8th December 2010, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pilling View Post
My dad sailed with Blue Funnel, I think on the Perseus and others. I'm trying to learn a bit more about his career. A book called Voyage East was probably a typical voyage he would of made. Is there an organization of the Blue Funnel employees perhaps? I have a ships bell that I believe was from one of the Agemenmon ships. I have a few of John's published stories, and can appreciate how some of you guys got to writing short stories on your long voyages. Also anyone know a Fred Devereux from Liverpool who later emigrated to Charleston, SC, USA. Thank you.
Hi, just joined this site and i sailed with your father on the Perseus in the sixties he was Chief Officer i did 4 deep sea voyages with him, he was a great man hard taskmaster but had to be in those days, one thing that springs to mind was in Colombo homeward bound one trip he spotted some old british trawlers berthed to buoys and unmanned apart from 1 nightwatchman for all, he said he had been crew as a youngster on board one of them, that night we boarded them and took various items off them including log books he reckoned he was named in them, memory a bit hazy but pretty sure the above is reasonably accurate, it sounds as though he has passed away is this correct, also amazingly my good friend Tony Devereux is cousin to Fred, he has told me about him quite a few times but will double check with him and let you know, rgds

John Forrester ex Blue Flue
Old 12th December 2010, 15:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 2005

I sailed with John Pilling on the Prometheus in1971. He was very much into fancy ropework and short story writing. If memory serves me right he had quite a number of stories published in "Sea Breezes".
George T
Old 12th December 2010, 21:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pilling View Post
Hello Mark, I have only just spotted your message from back in 2009I did not know your dad But I can put you in touch with a friend who was 2nd Mate on Perseus when john was 1stMate . I also have a photograph of the officers [including your Dad] on the bridge of Perseus at Noon taking the noon sight . Suggest you contact me direct and I can tell you more . tominglis.aulden@virgin.net
regards
Tom Inglis