King Edward VII Nautical College London - Ships Nostalgia
11:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

King Edward VII Nautical College London

Old 1st November 2009, 02:12

King Edward VII Nautical College London

Any Cadets who were at K.E.V11 around early 50's please contact Tom via a PM in the first instance

Last edited by non descript : 1st November 2009 at 07:36. Reason: email address removed as per Site policy
Old 1st November 2009, 07:35

My location
The Site Owner’s request is that email addresses are not published – the web is a funny place and we can see the logic in seeking to avoid publishing email addresses – so we opt instead for PM, and have edited your posting accordingly.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:28

K E Vii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
Any Cadets who were at K.E.V11 around early 50's please contact Tom via a PM in the first instance
Tom,regards,I was at KE VII 1953 to 1954
Old 28th November 2009, 03:51

At KE VII for summer term 1955
Old 8th December 2009, 22:47

K.e.v11 N.c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Tom,regards,I was at KE VII 1953 to 1954
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your response - I was there one year before in 1952 and hoped some of my classmates were still around and kicking.
I've many cherished memories of the schooling and boating and training.

Was Capt. Chase still the principle during your time? Ballard, Miller and Fifield (can't remember the others) Gulliver was the caretaker at Cromwell Road.

S.Y.Wendorian (good pic. to download if you Google the name) and the launch M.V. Magellan and whalers the Lecky and Somner.
Bring back any memories???

Reminiscing, it was the best tough schooling any boy could ask for and taught me many a good lesson in life's troubled times.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:05

Thumbs up King Edward N.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass1 View Post
At KE VII for summer term 1955
Hi Member Compass1
I was at King Edward 1952 for the years course and hopes others in my class would be around to chat with. You apparently came a year later.
However, I appreciate your response and its good to hear from another cadet.
Many years have gone by but thanks to the internet and to this website contact can now be made worldwide to any associates in ones lifetime.
If only we guys had this kind of mod use during our days we'd be made.
I've started to write about my days at the school and all the happenings which made quite an impression and a good tough training for life into society.
Am I right that the Norrie tables were out of tune and had to be revamped?
Wish I could remember the reasoning for turning in those expensive tables for new ones. Just a thought.
Regards Tom.
Old 9th December 2009, 22:02

KE VII a long time ago!

Quote:
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your response - I was there one year before in 1952 and hoped some of my classmates were still around and kicking.

Was Capt. Chase still the principle during your time? Ballard, Miller and Fifield (can't remember the others) Gulliver was the caretaker at Cromwell Road.

S.Y.Wendorian (good pic. to download if you Google the name) and the launch M.V. Magellan and whalers the Lecky and Somner.

Reminiscing, it was the best tough schooling any boy could ask for and taught me many a good lesson in life's troubled times.
Learned many a lesson in my year there,the names you mention I can well remember but the only other instructor I can recall by name is Capt. Tulloch.We sailed one of the Whalers on the Thames one time with him in charge, almost gunwall under, one of those experiences you never forget.There was another instructor there with a Scandinavian sounding name, someone will remember for sure.The P E instructor left an impression though,every boxing session,I would probably remember his name if hadn't thumped me quite so frequently.Great respect for all the staff though maybe didn't express it at the time
Old 14th January 2010, 16:12

The Magellan

Quote:
Hi Joe,

Tom I found this photo of the Magellan at Cadogan Pier Chelsea,thought you may be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img002.jpg (80.6 KB, 60 views)
Old 14th January 2010, 19:48

Tom Wood & Joe C,
I remember being aboard the Magellan on a trip from Wapping Basin (where the Wendorian was berthed) to the Thames Embankment (HQS Wellington) with Captain Miller in command. This would be Autumn 1958. Going into Shadwell Basin Lock he volunteered the Magellan's services to a bargee by offering to tow a Thames barge into & out of the lock. This offer was gratefully accepted & Captain Miller then demonstrated the power that was available from the Magellan's engine. Unfortunately, once we had entered the lock, the bargee missed lassooing the bollard on the dock & whilst the Magellan had come to a halt, the barge kept coming........ We all prepared for a cold bath in the waters of Shadwell Basin. Thankfully, the barge was unladen & the Magellan withstood the onslaught though there was much creaking of her timbers whilst she was being sandwiched against the lock wall. It was quite a "brown trouser" moment.
We eventually made it to the Wellington where I had my first experience of climbing a free hanging pilot ladder, suspended from a boom on the Wellington's starboard side.
Many thanks for posting the photo of the Magellan.
Kind regards,
John.

Last edited by John_F : 14th January 2010 at 19:54.
Old 15th January 2010, 04:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2010

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Tom I found this photo of the Magellan at Cadogan Pier Chelsea,thought you may be interested.
Joe: Thanks for the Magellan picture, brings back happy memories with Captain Miller instructing.
Old 15th January 2010, 09:52

King Edward V11 Nautical College in the 60's

I was a cadet there but not until 63/64 year so not a 50's qualifyer. Enjoyed the story about the motor launch. By my time the launch was called the "cabot" - but still moored on boat booms attached to HQS Wellington on the embankment.
Remember having "power boat instruction" on a bitterly cold Thames. One day we were doing Williamson Turns to recover a very cold a wet dummy body against the stop watch. However the winner was the cadet "acting as OOW" who simply order full astern and stop! We recovered the "body" within a minute - he gained points for initiative - although hardly training for a future super tanker master (although think this particular cadet went to BI).
We had whalers in Millwall Docks for rowing and sailing. Plus we also used Whalers at HMS Pembroke in the Medway for Weekend "Outward Bound" Adventures with night sailing around the Thames Estuary. Plus weeks of training onboard the "Glen Strathallen" ( lots of links pictures on SN).
Yes I would agree it was a great start for a life at sea and really helped you to have a "respect for the sea". These days with push button totally enclosed bridges - you have to wonder if the same holds true.
It would be great to hear from any other 60's students.
Old 15th January 2010, 13:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiwera View Post
I was a cadet there but not until 63/64 year so not a 50's qualifyer. Enjoyed the story about the motor launch. By my time the launch was called the "cabot" - but still moored on boat booms attached to HQS Wellington on the embankment.
Remember having "power boat instruction" on a bitterly cold Thames. One day we were doing Williamson Turns to recover a very cold a wet dummy body against the stop watch. However the winner was the cadet "acting as OOW" who simply order full astern and stop! We recovered the "body" within a minute - he gained points for initiative - although hardly training for a future super tanker master (although think this particular cadet went to BI).
We had whalers in Millwall Docks for rowing and sailing. Plus we also used Whalers at HMS Pembroke in the Medway for Weekend "Outward Bound" Adventures with night sailing around the Thames Estuary. Plus weeks of training onboard the "Glen Strathallen" ( lots of links pictures on SN).
Yes I would agree it was a great start for a life at sea and really helped you to have a "respect for the sea". These days with push button totally enclosed bridges - you have to wonder if the same holds true.
It would be great to hear from any other 60's students.
Hi Waiwera:

I was at King Teds, on the four month course, during the time you were there. I left in March 1964. I believe the Senior Cadet was David DeBarr and he was assisted by John Bell. I was in marine education for 25 years and believe the program at the College was one of the best I have been involved in.

There is a picture of my class in one of my threads entitled "Where Are They Now".

Cheers.
Old 30th January 2010, 16:22

The class of 1953/1954,recognise anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img 009013.jpg (223.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 31st October 2013, 00:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1962

Quote:
hi tom/I went to K E V11 in 1953 but afraid I don't a lot of memories getting old I guess
Old 31st October 2013, 15:59

Hi Tom I had the luck to attend KE VII Sept to Dec 1954. The short term involved a march to St.Pauls for a commemoration then a march to the MN memorial at Tower Hill. To crown it all Take the train to Lowestoft to join the Wendorian in drydock. Learn how to suji then crew her back to her berth in the London Dock. Great experience, stood me in good sted for British Tankers until December 1962
janmike.