The Glenearn - Ships Nostalgia
04:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Glenearn

Old 1st November 2009, 18:38

The Glenearn

Hi,

My Grandad, Robert Arthur England, 'Bob', was on board the Glenearn as he was transporting from one place to another (unfortunately i don't know specific details!) with the landing crafts as he drove them in the war. Has anyone got any memories or information regarding him? He was a mischievious man who was always up to something! I think he spent a lot of time in the tool shop and ended up making a strange lighter (with a brass button design that he stuck on the front!) and selling them to the others on board!

I also know that he was in charge of the rum and cigarette ration for a while! He was a sergeant in the Marines. It would make me so happy if anyone out there had any information! He also had a young black boy as a mascot whom he nicknamed 'Tuesday!'.

Kind regards
Chrissie Walton
Old 9th November 2009, 18:19

HMS Glenearn

Hi Chrissie, I am also researching my father during the war on HMS Glenearn. Early days but I will be happy to Sahe with you. He spent all the war on the Glenearn and told me he went round the world 3 times. My research so far shows they were very involved with very large operations includnig, of course, Dunkirk and the aftermath of Hiroshima. I am currnetly looking for a complete photo of the Glenearn and technical details and have a photo of the sister ship. I am new to this website today. any information on the Glenearn from anyone is appreciated.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:25

Thanks John! Nice to hear from you. I know that my Grandad spent time in Kure driving the Canadian reporters into Hiroshima. I don't know much more! If you type Glenearn into the forum search engine there is another thread with a link to a photo on it
Old 10th November 2009, 04:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

The Glenearn

Chrissie - If you have not all ready done so go into the following thread you will find quite a lot of
info re Glenearn and her war time career" Glenearn 1945/1946 Kure Japan "
i Regards Teb

Last edited by teb : 10th November 2009 at 04:47.
Old 10th November 2009, 08:31

My location
Or go to, HERE
Old 10th November 2009, 08:43
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
Or go to, HERE
G'Day Hugh -could the mascot "Tuesday" Chrissie mentions be the one Vonnee was seeking info about some time ago,do you think? Regards Teb
Old 10th November 2009, 11:43

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by teb View Post
G'Day Hugh -could the mascot "Tuesday" Chrissie mentions be the one Vonnee was seeking info about some time ago,do you think? Regards Teb
I wonder! Maybe we'll find out if Vonnee comes back which, he or she, seems reluctant to do.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:52
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings John W and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 10th November 2009, 17:10

I wondered that very same thing after reading the original post. From speaking to my mother, i know that many of the soldiers had a mascot (so chances are they wouldn't be the same boy). I do have a picture of my Grandad with the boy so will try and scan it in

Regards
Old 10th November 2009, 22:29

Chrissie have you come across this site yet ?
Lots of pictures of parts of Glenearn and the LCA's and LCT's from the ship during training exercises in Australia .
My Father John Earley joined the ship in Feb 1942 and was on the ship until he left in 1946 before it went on to Kure in Japan .
Maybe they knew each other.
Argh the AWM site is completely unfathomable
Here is every image on the site on a single page took me some time to achieve this
http://cas.awm.gov.au/PROD/cst.acct_...cape&bos=Win32

On the left of the page is a link to the order form to order the video clip of Glenearn referred to in a previous post

Last edited by John Earley : 10th November 2009 at 23:43.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:08

Hello Chrissie Read with interest your article about your Granfather and HMS GLENEARN. I served on that ship 1943 45 I must, therefore, have met him, I too was an LCA flotilla Crewman. However I have an 87 year old memory and Sgt England is now a very vague recollection. I have Photos if you are interested.
Best Regards Adrian Gilbert (pen name)

e-mail address edited by Admin, please do not post clickable e-mail addresses on the internet...that is how you get spam, and lots of it.

Last edited by ADRIAN GILBERT : 14th November 2010 at 14:44.
Old 16th June 2011, 00:42

Does anyone remember Bert Townsend ?

Hi,
I am the son-in-law of Cuthbert Reginald Townsend, known as Bert. He served on the Glenearn in the war and I believe he was a Landing Craft coxswain, although he would never talk about his wartime experiences. He sadly died back in 1999.
It would be great to hear from anyone still surviving who knew him.
Thanks.
Old 30th August 2012, 05:14
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Dockworker
Active: 1939 - 1961

hms glenearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilkins View Post
Hi Chrissie, I am also researching my father during the war on HMS Glenearn. Early days but I will be happy to Sahe with you. He spent all the war on the Glenearn and told me he went round the world 3 times. My research so far shows they were very involved with very large operations includnig, of course, Dunkirk and the aftermath of Hiroshima. I am currnetly looking for a complete photo of the Glenearn and technical details and have a photo of the sister ship. I am new to this website today. any information on the Glenearn from anyone is appreciated.
Hello I am also researching my fathers ship the glenroy.
Refer to my website glenroy.freeservers .com.
It has photos. I have found some schematic plans for Glenearn or maybe it was glengyle, .I have a photo of the geordic ( sunk in the Suez canal) was that after or before Glenearn hit her,
The website will tell you about the time they left the uk as part of layforce, Do you have any photos, i particualry want details of how the sister ships varied slightly. they were armed differently and after glenroy was torpedoed she went back to Cardiff for a refit and more guns and Lst's were added. All the Glens s differed considerably from their original specs towards the end of the war. All had a full war.

Last edited by sonofchippy2 : 30th August 2012 at 05:19.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofchippy2 View Post
It has photos. I have found some schematic plans for Glenearn or maybe it was glengyle, .I have a photo of the geordic ( sunk in the Suez canal) was that after or before Glenearn hit her,
The website will tell you about the time they left the uk as part of layforce, Do you have any photos, i particualry want details of how the sister ships varied slightly. they were armed differently and after glenroy was torpedoed she went back to Cardiff for a refit and more guns and Lst's were added. All the Glens s differed considerably from their original specs towards the end of the war. All had a full war.
Do please give the full web-site URL so that members can open it. Is of much interest to me as I sailed-on ops.-in the company of that ship and was, later, a deck officer in her for seven voyages. Regards, Hugh Ferguson.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:57

Quote:
GLENEARN(Glen and Shire Lines book)shows her aground on 14.7.1941 but all the books say that the GLENEARN (anchored)was hit by the burning hulk of the GEORGIC after she was bombed and set on fire on the 14.7.41(probablies ran aground to stop her sinking)

Last edited by A.D.FROST : 30th August 2012 at 11:04.
Old 30th August 2012, 11:48

Quote:
Do please give the full web-site URL so that members can open it. Is of much interest to me as I sailed-on ops.-in the company of that ship and was, later, a deck officer in her for seven voyages. Regards, Hugh Ferguson.
Still learning to nav the site. but that is the web site address. It has many photos and i have dads old Album with many more.

glenroy.freeservers.com

derek
Old 30th August 2012, 14:03

My location
Quote:
Still learning to nav the site. but that is the web site address. It has many photos and i have dads old Album with many more.

glenroy.freeservers.com

derek
This works:- http://glenroy.freeservers.com
Old 30th August 2012, 14:10

My location
Click HERE for a fine photo of that splendid aship at a later date. Read the 27 comments.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:29

Hi,
I know this is a long shot as the post I have found related to the Glenearn is dated 2009.
My father, who is still alive, served on the Glenearn during WW2 and recounted to me an explosion of the high octane fuel it carried. Unfortunately, 3 marines died in this incident. From Googling Glenearn it appears there was more than one explosion on the Glenearn. I understand you have written a book entitled 'In Time of War' which chronicles the Glenearn's Navy service. I would really like to purchase a copy of this book for my father. After doing a little online research I have also become very interested in the 'life' of the Glenearn.
I should be very grateful if you would contact me if you pick up this post.
Kind regards, Chris
Old 12th August 2013, 19:36

Hi Again,
Sorry, my first post and I have made an error.
The author of the book is Alex Aiken and I understand a John Earley, AB Radar Officer, recounted a story of his experience on HMS Glenearn to Mr Aiken for inclusion in the book 'In Time of War'.
Old 13th August 2013, 09:04

My location
Pristine copies of this remarkable book, In Time of War, are still obtainable at a heavily discounted price.
Written by Alex Aiken who was the son of Lieutenant Aiken, R.N.R., killed fighting a fire in the Glenearn.
Anyone who is interested please contact me by P.M.
Old 21st August 2013, 08:37

book in time of war

Quote:
Pristine copies of this remarkable book, In Time of War, are still obtainable at a heavily discounted price.
Written by Alex Aiken who was the son of Lieutenant Aiken, R.N.R., killed fighting a fire in the Glenearn.
Anyone who is interested please contact me by P.M.
extremely interested in buying book. I cant contact you by PM your in box is full and i cant send.
Regards SOC2
Old 21st August 2013, 08:41

ps site glenroy.freeservers.com has been updated with more photos and stories supplied by descendants of crew 1940-1943.I have many more but have no time to include in the site at present.