Hms Plover - Ships Nostalgia
10:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hms Plover

Old 29th November 2009, 23:35

Smile Hms Plover

Wonder if there is anyone still around who served on HMS Plover ? Preferably in the 1950's / 1960's. Some of the Officers on board: Lt Cdr (SD) Charles Thorpe, C.O., Lt Brian Bell, 1, Lt Geoff Broom, S/Lt Basil Last.
Cheers,
Glan
Old 30th November 2009, 19:53

I was there +/- 1956. Rosyth - Halsinborg - Portsmouth. Lt Cdr Wemyss CO.
Old 1st December 2009, 00:31
Organisation: Royal Navy

I don't recall the precise years, but do seem to recall that Lieutenant Commander Willie Thorniley MBE, a Clearance Diver, was one PLOVER's last Commanding Officers, and possibly the last.

Jack
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:34

Hi
I served in HMS Plover 1959-1961 and yes I remember all the officers Jacktar1refers to Capt Thorpe in fact had been a L/S onboard many moons before, she was a happy ship , though the Capt was very strict and she would roll on a wet sponge we had some good runs ashore I was a stoker on her. cheers
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:19

Smile Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies. I cannot remember the exact dates that I carried out my RNR training on board HMS Plover, I am glad that someone remembers the officers mentioned. I joined at Portsmouth , Plover was 'day running' out of HMS Vernon, if my memory serves me, I seem to recall that the 'mining deck' was full of crew members bicycles which had to be cleared off rapidly before Navy Day when the ship was open to the public !
I remember a 'foreign visit' to Amsterdam, where one day a morning visit was arranged for a large number of crew members to the "Amstel Brewery", then the same day, I did an afternoon visit to the 'Lucas Boll's" gin distillery with Brian Bell, Geoff Broom,and a couple of other officers, names I cannot remember !
Some time later HMS Plover paid a visit to Swansea, my home port, where I acted as liasion officer.

Cheers,
Glan
Old 6th December 2009, 06:39

My location
remember being alongside her on the barnstone 1966 at port edgar thinking which is the bigger rustbucket,her crew like us were mostly drunk in port
Old 19th December 2009, 20:26

HMS Plover.

The Plover was my Dads last sea going draft during his time in the Pusser,(he was H.O.), he was a Ldg. Wireman, leaving her on the 14th Nov '45. I remember her visit to Swansea. Going onboard my Dad asked the OOW where the Gun on the front had gone, I was only a sprog, but have vague memories of looking around her. Many years later I joined the RN, after training I was drafted to HMS London, (D16), she was in refit at the time and I was loan drafted to the Plover as she was changing 'station' from Pompey to Port Edgar, I was sent to increase the number of communicators onboard for the trip North. So she turned out to be my 1st sea going draft. Had a good time on her, being the only time I used a 'mick' and where cooks of the mess did the meal prep. My dad passed away some time ago, but I still have the Plover Tie the Buffer made me buy for him when I was on there !
Old 16th January 2010, 14:12

I must have been on HMS Plover at that same time. I remember the officers mentioned----now you have kickstarted my memory. I remember the visit to Amsterdam and Swansea.I was an Electricians Mate at the time.
Our workshop was on the upper deck and it was a bit of a refuge for allsorts of bods when the weather got bad.I remember one Christmas when we had a TV crew onboard to film us taking Christmas puddings out to the Nab Tower Lighthouse. The film didn't get made---it was that rough and the film crew were prostrate.
Ah well--swing that lamp
Old 30th January 2010, 01:26

Hms Plover

Served on the Plover 1964. Meserrvy was Capt. Not a happy ship!!
Sailed to the Med for 3 weeks, Gib, Malta, Cagliari and Taranto. She was attached to the Home Fleet and we were all looking forward to long W/E's.
However we were on a three watch routine all the time and usually set off on Fridays for the Channel Is. The skippers home town!!!! She was by then a rust bucket and continually breaking down. The auxillery fire pump never worked in the year I was on her, thank God we never had a fire. The crew were being replaced at about 10 a month so some one was joining or leaving all the time, most men glad to get away from her. I left for a 12 month draft to the fire fighting school, thought I was in heaven.
Jonno
Old 28th February 2010, 21:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1974

Mmmm...yes, remember got a 'Peir Head Jump' from Lochinvar. Would be '67' if I am correct. They needed an AWK Stoker sharpish as she was sailing that day and I was it! It was OK looking back...great stokers mess. Believe the Killick of the mess was a Knocker White though I could be wrong. Was aboard her for a few weeks I think, taking in such Mecca's as Campbelltown! As for the skipper - well everyone reckoned he was 5 parts pissed most of the time. Buster Brown seems to ring a bell.

Rolled a lot.....thought I had my sea legs till I joined her....honking up whilst hanging on to a mine on the mine deck. Remember going though the Pentland Firth in a storm...the old reciprocating rust bucket barely maintained steerage way.

Memories are made of this.....
Old 24th June 2010, 22:14

roger w cottrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktar1 View Post
Wonder if there is anyone still around who served on HMS Plover ? Preferably in the 1950's / 1960's. Some of the Officers on board: Lt Cdr (SD) Charles Thorpe, C.O., Lt Brian Bell, 1, Lt Geoff Broom, S/Lt Basil Last.
Cheers,
Glan
Hi ..My Dad ...Roger w Cottrell served on HMS Plover in 1958.... im trying to find out about his inter service boxing record....do you reconise his name ?
Old 24th June 2010, 22:17

roger w cottrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_crosby View Post
I was there +/- 1956. Rosyth - Halsinborg - Portsmouth. Lt Cdr Wemyss CO.
Hi David...my dad ...roger w cottrell served on HMS Plover around 1958, i remember him talking about Rosyth...im trying to find out more about his inter service boxing record...do you remember his name ?
Old 24th June 2010, 22:23

..hi all ...my dad served on HMS Plover around 1956...im trying to find out more information on his inter services boxing record..he fought in singapore around that time...any information would be great.Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 08:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1960 - 1971

HMS Plover

How nice to see this thread,

Well I did serve on HMS Plover for 2 weeks and I was around 14/15yrs old, a Sea Cadet!. I joined Plover in Pompie after travelling from York, getting picked up at the railway station by a RN blue coloured Bedford van, the number plate was RN.....

Joined this warship and was awe struck, there were both contact & magnetic mines on the mine deck and the hammock I was given was to be slung on the mine deck above all this stuff, not a problem!!. We headed off to Antwerp and dropped these mines (dummy) in the mouth of the River Schelde? for some NATO ships on exercise to find.

We berthed alongside in Antwerp ahead of a Belgium 3 or 4 masted Naval Training ship, I was given the job of taking our Captains invitation to the Belgium Admiral for dinner on Plover, this was awesome, as I had to get fully kitted up in my Sea Cadet uniform, inspected, before being let go and representing the Royal Navy and doing the business when presenting aboard a foreign naval vessel, all the Belgium Cadets watched as this little sailor from Plover passed on compliments to the Belgium Q/master and the invitation.

The Belgium Admiral accepted the invitation as that evening his repaired onboard Plover in his full regailia his medals must have weighed several stone, as he had a list to Port.

There was a Sailor who I would love to know again, he took time out to take us 3 Cadets ashore for a lookaround Antwerp had us back on board by 2100hrs and he then went off to find his mates for no doubt a drop of whatever. That would have been about 1958/59

What a great experience for a 14yr old.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Hemmington : 12th November 2012 at 09:04. Reason: Missed out the date of my experience
Old 8th August 2013, 21:24

I too was a Sea Cadet in the fifties and had a week on Plover. Can't remember too much, though we went for a trip to lay some mines in the Channel and were buzzed by a Shackleton. I remember a "Lofty" West as he brought me some nutty back from a run ashore. I do remember being tied up alongside an LCT and behind a couple of River or Bird class frigates (?). Also a chef from Bolton name of Monks. Met him again about 1962 in Pompey barracks. I was in the proper navy by then. Must have been fairly uneventful. :cool
Old 8th August 2013, 22:14

The old Plover use to steam out and lay the practice Mines for both RN and RNR Sweepers.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 23rd October 2013, 09:57
Active: 1966 - 1977

I didn't serve on Plover myself during my service, but on my first ship, H.M.S. Gurkha, we had an M.(E) 1 'Scouse' Gerrard, whose previous ship had been Plover and he remembered it well. Really enjoyed his time on what I imagine would probably have been 'Pussers' last recip powered ship. Bert.
Old 26th October 2013, 10:12
Active: 1964 - 2006

I served in Plover as a Midshipman in 1966. After joining in Portsmouth, we headed off to Port Edgar our home base. It was the year of the Seaman's Strike, so we spent several months running around Stornaway, Lewis, Oban et al delivering essential supplies (e.g. French letters for one!) to the islanders. It was a tough time as a 'snot' bunking next to the after steering gear and certainly an eye opener. Our No1 was Bert Marriott a fearsome Lt SD and the Captain was Lt Cdr Royston Honour a famous CD. Interesting and memorable times...
Old 26th October 2013, 16:48

...the Captain was Lt Cdr Royston Honour a famous CD. Interesting and memorable times...

Later Commander Stuart Royston Honour MBE, a famous Clearance Diver indeed. Sadly, he's no longer with us, but there's an account of some of the "Interesting and exciting times" at
http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Stuart-Honour/1200088169

And of course, Snot1, "A warm welcome on board!"

Jack