Chief Engineer, Gid Henderson. - Ships Nostalgia
10:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Chief Engineer, Gid Henderson.

Old 2nd December 2009, 20:12

My location
Chief Engineer, Gid Henderson.

Hi guys, just read in the Scotsman that Gid Henderson died in Perth on 29th November. Cremation at Perth 7th December 2pm.
Old 3rd December 2009, 15:02

Gid Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinman View Post
Hi guys, just read in the Scotsman that Gid Henderson died in Perth on 29th November. Cremation at Perth 7th December 2pm.
Sad to read the passing of Gid Henderson.Condolences to his family.I sailed a few times with Gid.If I remember correctly he was originally from Papa Stour in Shetland and was a brother-in- law of Captain Donald Cowie
Old 4th December 2009, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
Sad to read the passing of Gid Henderson.Condolences to his family.I sailed a few times with Gid.If I remember correctly he was originally from Papa Stour in Shetland and was a brother-in- law of Captain Donald Cowie
My Condolenses to his family, I sailed with him on the Lawers and Cairn. John was he not from Whalsey the same place as Captain Jmmy Walterson came from and he was a brother in law of Captain Donald Cowie.
Billy
Old 5th December 2009, 11:30

Gid Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBenarty View Post
My Condolenses to his family, I sailed with him on the Lawers and Cairn. John was he not from Whalsey the same place as Captain Jmmy Walterson came from and he was a brother in law of Captain Donald Cowie.
Billy
Hi Billy.
We.ll maybe have to hand that over to our Shetland friends.I think Jim Walterson was from Walls and of course not many would know that Gid was from Shetland
Old 5th December 2009, 13:21

My location
Hi Guys, I never sailed with "Gid" but he was one of these persons that nobody had a bad word for. We can all remember, as junior officers sitting in the mess at smokoe and listening to the older ones taking about who they had sailed with. Some senior officers had good reputations and others not so good. Funny thing is that when I sailed with some of the "bad" ones I found them to be alright. Makes me wonder why these so called "bad" chiefs and captains had that reputation they did!!
What era was Gid with ben line? Was he of the same era as Big John Donaldson and Daddy Chambers?
Going back to the reputations of chiefs, I remember hearing that John Gillan was a fearsome man, a nicer chief I haven't met!! (I believe John is sadly no longer with us).
I sailed with Ian McKay and found him excellent. We were once changing a piston on the Grey Hunter and when we finished at around 9 pm Ian asked the engineers up to his cabin for a beer. A real gent!! I also had the pleasure of sailing with Ralph Cowie on the Attow. Perhaps as an engineer I had no axe to grind with him.
Old 5th December 2009, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
Hi Billy.
We.ll maybe have to hand that over to our Shetland friends.I think Jim Walterson was from Walls and of course not many would know that Gid was from Shetland
You are right John, Jimmy came from Walls. How is your retirement going? Have you started a book yet?
Billy
Old 7th December 2012, 19:56

just reading through this and gideon was from papa stour,remember him giving our old lister start o matic engine a much needed overhaul one summer when he was on leave,late 60's. jimmy walterson came from sandness originally but lived in walls. he was ch off on the "benvrackie"on my first trip to sea in '73 as peggy.
hughie.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeler View Post
just reading through this and gideon was from papa stour,remember him giving our old lister start o matic engine a much needed overhaul one summer when he was on leave,late 60's. jimmy walterson came from sandness originally but lived in walls. he was ch off on the "benvrackie"on my first trip to sea in '73 as peggy.
hughie.
I was a deck cadet on Benarty in 1963 through 64 to 65.
The Chief Engineer was Henderson and I am almost certain it was Gid, but as a cadet in those days christian names were not commonly used by cadets. Hence a bit of uncertainty.
One hell of a nice guy he was too.
Chas Donnelly was Master - Ref:- Benarty broken down in Red Sea, - elsewhere in this forum.
Old 12th December 2012, 22:23

My location
I was aboard the Arty at that time as EDH,the "beast" was the bosun,a long time ago now,names i'm afraid no!!
Old 13th December 2012, 00:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2007

Yes it is a sad time that the ebb tide washes another great character and name from the white sands of our islands. Gid was a well respected chief in Ben Line and would have sailed with Donald his brother in law on the Lawers as Donald took her out I think on maiden voyage.

I remember one time in Bangkok at Klongtoy Donald was master of the old Valla and Gid was chief on the old Lawers, both were alongside which ment an excuse for a calley and a run up the road.
My sincere condolences to the family and and close friends.
A very sincere person no doubt left his mark.
Ian Keyl.
Old 13th December 2012, 00:33
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by wully farquhar View Post
I was aboard the Arty at that time as EDH,the "beast" was the bosun,a long time ago now,names i'm afraid no!!
Indeed Wully - a long time ago but I remember you well.
We got on quite well together, but there again that was pretty normal in those days - even though I was cadet.
Good to see you are still with us - we are getting a bit thin on the ground.
I noticed you haven' t been posting much lately.
The Beast indeed. Willie Walker. Of course he was no beast really, quite the opposite in fact, but he could be when he wanted of course.
(His perogative, I suppose)
The deck crowd I remember (the regulars) Jimmie Dixon chippy, Willie Crook AB, Charlie Mcnair (EDH like yourself) the others escape me.
On the upper decks - see Benarty Broken Down in Red Sea - to jog your memory.
Look after yourself & Take care.
Old 8th January 2013, 13:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2011

Gid

Sorry to read that Derek. Sailed as his 2/e and then as his relief. He used to talk about having a siamese sandwich ("2 bangkok hoors and me")!
Tom Freer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post