Ships Nostalgia banner

Great welcome

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  The Sailorman 
#1 ·
what a great welcome from SN members ,Thanks to all
First ship MV Zealand in 1956 one of Curries of leith anyone heard of it ?
Tony

#11 ·
This is the very one, had something like 250 tons of rocks as permanent ballast in one of the tween decks. The run was London Lisbon,one week London 3-1/2 days across then one week Lisbon, then back again. Used to roll badly in the Bay.
May I take a copy of your picture please.
Regards
Hamish.B

#15 ·
Got it ,many thanks Nick. I remember the trade the donkeymen had on Zealand.
Bags of sweets, chocolate, nylons and cosmetics were bought in the Petticote Lane Market on a Sunday.
These were sold at a profit in Lisbon and turned into booze for sale in London. Tobacco was another item traded. On one occasion I was having a problem pumping bilges a on investigation discovered that a pipe appeared to be loose, as I was trying to free this pipe ane of the donkeymen came over and said ---- sake leave that alone it is part of our baccy stash. It turned out to be tins of Capstain wrapped in a sheet of lead to keep them under the water.
The other place to stash the crates of Brandy etc. was in the cofferdam between the fuel double bottom and the ballast tanks. The manhole was opened , gear stashed, manhole cover repalced then the bilge water was allowed to cover the lid. All this worked untill the rumagers were to come on board. there was some sort of early warning system in operation when customs were to raid the ship and the contraband was passed over to the attendant tug boat. The customs men used to hide at the knuckle at the entrance to London dock and were easy to spot by those who knew where to look.
This was thriving business, although illegal I thought that it was a fair go with the customs, no drugs mind that is a different ball game altogether.
You will probably remember this trade, I only found out about it a little at a time but unfortunately wasn't involved. They were a great crowd with homes in Lisbon as well in the UK.
Quite a few more stories of Currie line , anybody sail on the Ireland?
Regards
Hamish.

#14 ·
MV Zealand

Yes i can certainly remember MV Zealand,I was Bosun on her in 1958 my first ship after getting married,every day while in Lisbon turning the deck crowd too was no problem as most of them were still ashore with their girl friends.
Always plenty of soap powder on hand also tin of sardines which had found their way into the mess rooms.
Enjoyed my time on her.

#20 ·
Hi Tony and welcome from NZ. Was there some connection with George Gibson of Leith. I was on the Abbotsford for about a year and we did much the same run as the Zealand.Usually a one month trip but I had to get off as the prospect of promotion was nil as no one further up the ladder was getting off and I would have been the oldest galley boy in history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.