53 Leadenhall Street. - Ships Nostalgia
00:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

53 Leadenhall Street.

Old 6th February 2010, 09:50

53 Leadenhall Street.

I was watching a programme the other day and noticed the clock at Greenwich had 53 Leadenhall Street on it. A quick google has brought this up in wikepedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd_gate_clock

vasco
Old 6th February 2010, 10:31
Nursie

My location
Fascinating, thank you for the link.
Old 6th February 2010, 11:55

Very interesting, I wonder what the equivalent costs would be today.

Regards Robert
Old 7th February 2010, 11:01

My location
An interesting story, but this made me wonder when did Houlders move to 53 Leadenhall St. After searching through my "100 Years of Houlders" book. Evidently they moved from 146 Leadenhall St to 53 in January 1922.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:07

There is another timepiece showing 53,Leadenhall st. this is on display in a museum in Worcester, it was some 10 years ago that I saw it ,unfortunately I cannot bring to mind the exact location or details. Interestingly when I commented to my wife , who was alongside me at the time ,about the significance of the address another visitor who was passing was also aware of the Houlder and Furness Withy connection with number 53. Unbelievably as I write this I am listening to a replay on BBC 7 of a Goon Show of February 1955 , this refers to "The six ingots of Leadenhall St." Whatever they might be.

Last edited by BOB.WHITTAKER : 18th February 2010 at 21:14. Reason: addition
Old 19th February 2010, 11:44

My location
Six Ingots

Hi Bob, Just been looking at the script of the show on the Goon Show web-site, evidently the 6 ingots were gold that had been stolen from the Bank of England. Though why Leadenhall street? At the end of the script theres mention of the true story relating to the Sydney St siege which was also mentioned in the script. Alan.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1954 - 1965

My location
On the 'Master & Slave' clock system. Obviously this system was a God-send on passenger ships so that adjusting the master (usually on the bridge) corrected all the repeaters around the ship as you moved east and west.
When P&O's Canton went for scrap in 1962 the company had planned to strip everything useful out in London before she sailed, but an impending Dock Strike meant a hurried exit "fully furnished".
On arrival in HK there was a semi-official souvenir hunt by all aboard (I still have a 1930's Art Deco ashtray but the desk fan has long gone). The Indian crew left with all the repeater clocks, one each, which probably didn't work too well back home when the master clock remained onboard.
Ian