'T' Shirts - Ships Nostalgia
12:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

'T' Shirts

Old 11th February 2010, 07:43

'T' Shirts

Hi Guys
Anyone still got their 'Bank Line do it world wide' T shirt?
Old 11th February 2010, 13:58

Never came across Bank Line gear in my day, cap badges, ties or T-shirts etc. I do still have a bank line counterpane, seem to remember we apps were issued with new on one ship so we recycled the old and kept the new ones to take home. Also still have a couple Calcutta white heavy linen shirts (not saying I can still get into them though).
Old 11th February 2010, 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBlenkinsopp View Post
Hi Guys
Anyone still got their 'Bank Line do it world wide' T shirt?
No but I've got my chipping goggles!
Old 11th February 2010, 20:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

My location
Chipping Goggles - you must have been a generation after me!
Andy
Old 12th February 2010, 00:24

Me too. Where's the mouse gone?
Old 12th February 2010, 02:35
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Bank Line, in common with many other "tramp ship companies" were not ones for T shirts as I recall, at least not in my days of the mid- late sixties. However, T shirts are a relatively new thing in the world of corporate gear etc. They didn't have a cap badge as far as I was aware; I certainly was never told about one nor did I ever see one worn by any of the officers, not that uniforms were a great thing anyway!
I have ordered one though, as a keepsake, but I guess they came about maybe in the 80's or on the White Ships? Any clues from you old Bankers?
Old 12th February 2010, 07:42

The 'T' shirts were printed by Capt McKenzie out in PNG as a bit of fun, nothing to do with uniform.
Sadly I do have a Cap Badge (never used) a Blazer badge and old style tie.
For reasons which escape me I also have an Eagle Oil cap badge.
Ian Bl.
Old 12th February 2010, 12:08
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
Bank Line, in common with many other "tramp ship companies" were not ones for T shirts as I recall, at least not in my days of the mid- late sixties. However, T shirts are a relatively new thing in the world of corporate gear etc. They didn't have a cap badge as far as I was aware; I certainly was never told about one nor did I ever see one worn by any of the officers, not that uniforms were a great thing anyway!
I have ordered one though, as a keepsake, but I guess they came about maybe in the 80's or on the White Ships? Any clues from you old Bankers?
I do remember having a couple of Bank Line T-shirts in the '70s, don't remember where they were purchased. Long gone now. Also in the '70s, Bank Line started issuing cap badges and epaulettes, I think we got a new set every couple of years. Still have a couple of sets, never used the cap badges, used the standard Merchant Navy Badge.
Old 12th February 2010, 18:05
Active: 1974 - 1984

Went to Sam Bass in Hull when I bought all my uniform, cap and greys - whites were phased out in the mid 70's in favor of grey shorts, long socks and shirts. Not nearly as smart as the whites but a lot easier to care for.
Always took the lot with me but only wore the cap in anger three times. Once on bridge watch through the Keil Canal, second time to a Mayor making ceremony in Google (mother in law's idea) and finally to my sisters wedding to a solider. Great I out ranked him.
Still got the cap badge somewhere, and the uniform is hanging up in the spare room. Doubt I will ever fit the 32" waist again - unless I am very ill.

Peter Smith
ex - 3/E 1984
Old 12th February 2010, 18:17
Active: 1969 - 1973

I was the same,got a grant to buy the uniform and other items of clothing,had to pay it all back.Never wore it to get the benefit out of it though, it all changed in Calcutta and the tailors in Hull were out of a job!
Old 12th February 2010, 18:47

My location
I bought a Bank Line cap badge and blazer badge in Calcutta in 1956, mind you they tarnished, in fact the so called gold wire they were made off, went black in a short period of time. Got what we paid for I suppose.
Old 13th February 2010, 18:01
Active: 1953 - 1981

Bank Line Cap Badge....

I saw one or two Bank Line cap badges in the early 50s. The 'white streak of starvation' was in silver wire otherwise it was all in coloured thread. Myself, I always wore the "Bombay spread" Merchant Navy cap badge which I bought at Paisley's in Glasgow. There was no special White Ship rigs but all of us got white mess jackets and dress trousers made for us in Calcutta. Looked very spiffy as evening wear. There were two Bank Line ties: one with the houseflag in a garter ring in a lighter blue and one in a darker blue with the houseflag and '25' under it to denote the Stag Club. They were always too short for someone who measured a little bit more than he should around the circumference from the neck to the waist fore and aft!
I was always somewhat uniform minded and dressed according to the weather.
Haven't got a shred of any of it now. Lost or thrown out along the way after 40 years! In Calcutta, we used to put our personal touches on uniform gear like button down collars and athletic cut with tighter short sleeves just to look different as well as short shorts. Seems ridiculous now!
Old 13th February 2010, 22:23
ELDER MEMBER

have still got a Bank line cap badge hidden away somewhere.Whilst on the isipingo we found out that RN officers were wearing white bush jackets ,they looked very snazy so every one from the old man down had sets made in calcutta in white and khaki.Also had mess kit and no 10s made up ,tho as 3rd mate never got the chance to wear them as my 8-12 watch started at 1830 to allow the mate time to get a shower and dress for dinner,of course that was in the days when we still had passengers.

jim
Old 13th February 2010, 22:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
I saw one or two Bank Line cap badges in the early 50s. The 'white streak of starvation' was in silver wire otherwise it was all in coloured thread. Myself, I always wore the "Bombay spread" Merchant Navy cap badge which I bought at Paisley's in Glasgow. There was no special White Ship rigs but all of us got white mess jackets and dress trousers made for us in Calcutta. Looked very spiffy as evening wear. There were two Bank Line ties: one with the houseflag in a garter ring in a lighter blue and one in a darker blue with the houseflag and '25' under it to denote the Stag Club. They were always too short for someone who measured a little bit more than he should around the circumference from the neck to the waist fore and aft!
I was always somewhat uniform minded and dressed according to the weather.
Haven't got a shred of any of it now. Lost or thrown out along the way after 40 years! In Calcutta, we used to put our personal touches on uniform gear like button down collars and athletic cut with tighter short sleeves just to look different as well as short shorts. Seems ridiculous now!
I guess as the memories fade some of us (me especially) tend to hang on to our old gear as a memento. I still have my cap with the standard MN badge and have ordered a new Bank Line badge too, for my spare cap. I never throw anything away!
I want to make sure my grandsons have something tangible and have collected all sorts of memorabilia (my sextant, various photos etc) including a large handwritten ledger with all my "adventures". I guess I am not quite certifiable, but heading there rapidly!
Old 14th February 2010, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lavies View Post
Chipping Goggles - you must have been a generation after me!
Andy
They spoiled us on the Fleetbank,electric chipping hammers and goggles! Pity I was only there for five weeks.Christmas 1957.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:08

Bank Line 'T' shirts were solely produced in Rabaul from 1976 - 1978.
It was JM's idea and Bury Street did not approve at first; but having seen the popularity of them even bought a couple of dozen which we shipped back to London. Others were shipped to the States and Durban when the Superintendents there heard about them.
Mike Carvosso in BP's arranged the manufacture with several local people and they were made in all sizes from baby size to XXXL.
They do seem indestructable as I still have two somewhere, back in the UK
R.I.P. - John Mackenzie - now sorely missed.
Ozedev
Old 24th February 2010, 13:57

Captain John Mackenzie.....

I too, would like my name to be associated with the expressions of sadness that accompany the late Captain John Mackenzie. I last saw him and his wife, Mamie, at the Bank Line Reunion in , I think, 2004 and he appeared then to have lost his bounce. Though only a few years older than myself, it was as if the old John that we all knew and loved, had departed from his soul.
Anyhow, remembering the good times, before PNG, John was relieving superintendent in Calcutta and Durban and as can be expected, shook up those centres of conservatism more than somewhat. I never did sail with him, but those who did, unfailingly to a man, would sing high his praises as a seaman, administrator and all-round good guy. Ullapool is not the same place today; John was a recognised 'character' in the best sense. Many of us looked up to John as the embodyment of what we hoped to become.

Last edited by Alistair Macnab : 24th February 2010 at 14:00.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:02

I still have my "Do it World Wide T Shirt" Not in bad nick either. Intend getting a couple of copies made before it eventually disintegrates.
Old 24th February 2010, 15:30

Captain McKenzie

I paid off Weybank in PNG with appendicitis and then septicaemia, was in hospital for some time, Captain McKenzie and the BP agent were intstrumental in making sure I was well cared for, for that I owe him a great debt.

Eddie Bl.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:38

My location
I,ve just purchased a "new" Bank Line cap badge Looks to be good quality and I have it on an old bargees cap sitting on top of the binnacle in my office.
A constant reminder of the good old days eh?

Lest we forget. Bring out your memorabilia, the loft is no place for items relating to what was a great time and one no one will ever experience again.

Last edited by Donald McGhee : 24th February 2010 at 20:41.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:21

T Shirts.

I'm not a Bank Line man, I only sailed with blue chip companies.
Once sailed with an ex Bank Line Electrical Officer who sported a T Shirt with the slogan, "VD is F**K All to Clap About". Apparently this was to impress american missionaries on way to work in New Guniea. A Bank Line class act.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:09
Active: 1959 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
I,ve just purchased a "new" Bank Line cap badge Looks to be good quality and I have it on an old bargees cap sitting on top of the binnacle in my office.
A constant reminder of the good old days eh?

Lest we forget. Bring out your memorabilia, the loft is no place for items relating to what was a great time and one no one will ever experience again.
My cap has been hanging in the conservatory for years, waiting to go on top of my coffin when I cross the "Bar"
Old 9th March 2010, 15:53

I had two T shirts, one, main colour was white and the other, main colour is Bank Line beige or 'buff' and both lasted for many years before an emabarassing beer belly got in the way.........wish I still had them.

As mentioned earlier, these T shirts were often seen and very popular for the guys on the South Pacific Islands run.
Old 9th March 2010, 17:04

Genuine Bank Line T-Shirts....

Country Captain......
Whose controversial message I have ignored for many weeks thinking that someone else, perhaps more knowledgable than I, would respond, has nevertheless left two insults on the table that require response.
First of all, the idea of a blue chip shipping company has received some hard knocks over the past few years, and at least Bank Line survived longer than most, offering employment to those brave seafarers who were still loyal to their calling. Blue chip indeed! I cannot think of any other British shipping company that could have earned the description more than Weirs. Who kept British shipbuilding and engineering going when all else had fled?
Secondly, I cannot not will not believe that the T-shirt with the highly offensive message was ever a Bank Line or Captain Mackenzie product. Probably a knock-off by someone employed by a so -called blue chip company.
Old 10th March 2010, 07:54

well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
Country Captain......
Whose controversial message I have ignored for many weeks thinking that someone else, perhaps more knowledgable than I, would respond, has nevertheless left two insults on the table that require response.
First of all, the idea of a blue chip shipping company has received some hard knocks over the past few years, and at least Bank Line survived longer than most, offering employment to those brave seafarers who were still loyal to their calling. Blue chip indeed! I cannot think of any other British shipping company that could have earned the description more than Weirs. Who kept British shipbuilding and engineering going when all else had fled?
Secondly, I cannot not will not believe that the T-shirt with the highly offensive message was ever a Bank Line or Captain Mackenzie product. Probably a knock-off by someone employed by a so -called blue chip company.
blue chip? my ar*e!