HMS Prince Leopold - Ships Nostalgia
20:05

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Prince Leopold

Old 12th February 2010, 15:55

HMS Prince Leopold

Does anyone have a photograph of this vessel at all. She was built in Belgium in 1930 and served as a ferry there before being converted to a landing ship in 1941, for the war effort. She was hit by a torpedo on the port side from U-621 on july 29th 1944, sinking to the east side off the Isle of Wight.

I have seen one picture of her on the U-boat.net website, but that is the only one ive seen. Can anyone help at all?

Ashley
Old 13th February 2010, 00:06

Prince Leopold (whilst in the RN as LST(I)4251) is pictured on www.maritimequest go to the ship index page and click on the name.
If you ask nicely I am sure that we'll let you have a copy of her shown in stormy weather from the site - if it is for yoour own personal use.
good hunting
Bob
Old 13th February 2010, 06:13
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2010

My location
Prince Leopold

Hi,
Its your lucky day.
I'm researching the Prince Leopold and have quite a few photos of her. In fact I have just finished two photos of her taken in 1939 to send to a good friend, Arne, in Belgium. Send me a PM with your email address and we will go from there.
Regards
Old 30th April 2010, 06:18

prince leopold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickles23 View Post
Hi,
Its your lucky day.
I'm researching the Prince Leopold and have quite a few photos of her. In fact I have just finished two photos of her taken in 1939 to send to a good friend, Arne, in Belgium. Send me a PM with your email address and we will go from there.
Regards
My late brother Jamesie Gibson, served on the Prince Leopold during war time-I think he served under T 124x articles
Old 30th April 2010, 07:59

My location
Hi Beegee,
With your permission can I add your Brother's name to the Prince Leopold's crew list?
Regards
Old 21st August 2010, 13:37

My location
Hi,

An email from the Royal Navy regarding the commissioning names:

Dear Mr Smallman

Thank you for your enquiries to the Ministry of Defence.

We have liaised with the relevant department who have advised that the PRINCE CHARLES and the PRINCE LEOPOLD were commissioned as such on 6 March 1941.

The PRINSES JOSEPHINE CHARLOTTE was commissioned as such on 16th. May 1941 and the PRINSES ASTRID on 26th. May 1941.

It is likely that the PRINSESES became commonly known as PRINCESSES, but this doesn’t appear to be an official change of name.

We hope this information is useful.

Regards

Information Delivery Team MOD Information Centre

Regards
Old 18th April 2012, 10:43
Department: Engineering
Active: 1940 - 1946

HMS Prince Leopolds torpedo strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye View Post
Does anyone have a photograph of this vessel at all. She was built in Belgium in 1930 and served as a ferry there before being converted to a landing ship in 1941, for the war effort. She was hit by a torpedo on the port side from U-621 on july 29th 1944, sinking to the east side off the Isle of Wight.

I have seen one picture of her on the U-boat.net website, but that is the only one ive seen. Can anyone help at all?

Ashley
From Tam H Just a correction. HMS Prince Leopld
was not torpedoed on the port side. The Commanders Report states clearly that the explosion was at the ships stern removing both propellors and its rudder. I was there and can confirm statements about the ships demise made in Commander Lowe's Report.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:57

HMS Prince Leopolds torpedo strike.

Tam H. HMS Prince Leopold was not topedoed in its port side.
The ships commanders report states quite clearly that the explosion was at the ships stern removing both propellors and the rudder.
I was privileged to be aboard the ship from 1943 and until its sinking
on the 29th July 1944. I therefore can confirm Commander Lowes
statements concerning the damage caused by the torpedo.

Last edited by Tam H : 18th April 2012 at 13:45. Reason: correction. 'not torpedoed in port side'
Old 21st April 2012, 08:18

H.M.S. Prince Leopold's torpedo damage.

I was aboard H.M.S. Prince Leopold when torpedoed 29/7/'44. The ship was torpedoed up the stern by a GNAT acoustic homing torpedo.
The ship floated for several hours and we almost succeeded in beaching her back in the UK. The damage to the ship was exactly as Commander Lowe reported to H.M.S. Squid. There was no hole in the ships side when it foundered. Soon after the sinking it was reported to be a hazard to shipping.The ship was lying in a shipping lane and explosives would be used to make the lane safe for shipping. It must have been during this time that the Leopold's upperworks were removed and the ship was holed in the port side.
Tam H.
Old 21st April 2012, 09:08

My location
Hi,

As HMS Prince Leopold was hit by a GNAT acoustic homing torpedo, also known as the G7s, T5 and Code Named Zaunkönig, I would assume like most ships she would get hit in the stern.

I quote:

The homing mechanism consisted of two hydrophone receivers which sensed the sound waves of ship propellers and altered the direction of the rudder via a electropneumatic device.

I would support Tam H. for one good reason: He was there at the time.

Also there was some salvage work done in 20.05.1975 by R J TODD, SPITHEAD SALVAGE CO. Although I do not know yet what work was done.

Regards
Old 10th December 2012, 15:45
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 2001 - Present

My grandfather served on Prince Leopold until 1942 im wondering if anyone knows of a LS William Thomas Gillham any info would be great thanks