Shell Tankermen 1980s names - Ships Nostalgia
23:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shell Tankermen 1980s names

Old 14th February 2010, 20:33

Shell Tankermen 1980s names

I did a few trips with Joe Shell in the mid to late 80s. Not a great outfit to have been with, but some good people i sailed with there. However, there were some odd and - i don't mind admitting - mad people on their books. One that meets the latter catagory was a Bosun named Ronnie Pickering, if he were alive today he would be in his 80s i'm sure. Never felt safe with him around! I was the only pool man on the ship when i sailed with him and he sort of singled me out as he was a Bristol man and me a Cardiff man, and the fact i wasn't contract gave him the green light to have a dig when he felt like it. I could always give him as good as with the patter, but i treaded carefully as he was a beast of a bloke. Does anyone on SN remember him? By all accounts he was a good seaman, but in my books one monster of a seafarer!
Some of the good shell contract men i remember apart from my good mate Gary Harrison now a Captain with Chevron: Captain Mike Geddis a real gentlemen;Chief Officer Bateman; Chief Officer Tom ? Natacina 1987;Engineer Andy keast; Sparky Trevor Bint; ABs: Fozzy bear aka tony hulland; Paul Hagan; Alex Wilson; dennis patton; Dave Bloomfield; Chris Furnish; Chris Patten; Peter daltry (what a guy); Mick Mcculloch (now RFA); Bob McGregor aka Maureen (now RFA) Paul Purvis; John Scott from Hull; Arthur prater; Paul Dillon; Eric Cordiner; Cooks: Tuesday weld aka Billy Cook (non contract like myself) Tricky Dicky aka Richard Roberts (now RFA); Jimmy Brymer; Dave Heron; Tommy Gollin; Bob Thomas; Denver Atkinson (a character) Stewards: Fred aka Phillip Lang (great guy); Peter Barnes aka Miss Barnes; Fiona aka John Williamson.
Numerous others i can remember faces and such but their names are now escaping me.
Anyway, i hope some members can remember some of these guys?
MickS
Old 14th February 2010, 21:35

Hi Mick I sailed with shell 1989 till 1996, and sailed with Some of the guy's you mentioned. Denver Atkinson, Paul Dillon and Eric Cordiner. I had my first trip with Dennis Patton, What a bloke!! I have never seen anyone drink so much and still be capable of work!! Eric is in on face book if you want to look him up!!
regards
Dave Payne
Old 17th February 2010, 19:19

hi mick sailed with ronnie pickering late seventies on the felipes he was orgre then i was second steward and we had plenty run in he also had run in with lots of deck crew but them were the days
Old 28th February 2010, 18:56

capt geddes stands out miles as he was as i remember one of the best captains i had the pleasure to sail with....anyone remember when i saile once as a steward and the chief steward would only talk to me via post it notes...it was 86/67 on the lepeta..shell was full of mad men who had that stare..
Old 7th March 2010, 13:45

Yes he was one of the best i sailed with too Geoff. He was on the Tribulus with us. Can you remember when he popped down my cabin for a drink one afternoon in Japan? He used to build model boats in his dayroom.
Mick S
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffakelly View Post
capt geddes stands out miles as he was as i remember one of the best captains i had the pleasure to sail with....anyone remember when i saile once as a steward and the chief steward would only talk to me via post it notes...it was 86/67 on the lepeta..shell was full of mad men who had that stare..
Old 7th March 2010, 13:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Spear View Post
Yes he was one of the best i sailed with too Geoff. He was on the Tribulus with us. Can you remember when he popped down my cabin for a drink one afternoon in Japan? He used to build model boats in his dayroom.
Mick S
Hi Mick, were you on Trubulus when the side fell out off Ireland?
Old 7th March 2010, 21:15

No, i left a few months before that happened. i remember reading about it, it went into Bantry Bay for shelter if i remember right?
Mick S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
Hi Mick, were you on Trubulus when the side fell out off Ireland?
Old 8th March 2010, 06:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Spear View Post
No, i left a few months before that happened. i remember reading about it, it went into Bantry Bay for shelter if i remember right?
Mick S
Not sure if it was Bantry Bay, I know that they had to do a survey before gong in for temp. repairs, they nailed an 80 ton patch on the side, threw in a couple of salvage pumps and steamed to Rotterdam.