Wild Auk - Ships Nostalgia
18:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wild Auk

Old 15th October 2005, 11:31

Teachertalk,
Nice to hear from you again as well. I lost touch after my last computer crashed and I ended up changing websites so I lost everything including all contact details.
Cant remember the surname of the second either, just tony.
The chief was a geordie and he left with you at Los Angeles.
He was replaced by Horace Freeman a great guy from South Africa.
After you left we ended up going back to Ecuador, then N.Z. for over a month and then came back through the canal to Venezuala, St Lucia and Rotterdam before I got of in London.
Remember Halifax well, plenty of snow.
Old 17th October 2005, 12:40

Wild Auk

I remembered over the weekend Steve. It was Tony Brookes.
Old 18th October 2005, 21:57

Phil,
Your right it was.
Do you remember the kiwi third who was on while we were.
His first name was Gary.
Ive also remembered the old mans name, he was called Moran.
Steve.
Old 21st October 2005, 12:51

Wild Auk

Yes Steve, it was Gary Blyde. From New Plymouth I believe. You relieved a fourth called Kieth. The old man was Dave Moran. And there was a Tasmanian third mate too. I sailed with Horace Freeman later when I made fouth on the Strathmuir. The Auk was a happy ship during my days on her probably because the engineers were always on day work so the bar was full in the evenings. Darts were the game along with liar dice and tributes to cardinal puff. Poor old Tony could never recite the poem.
Old 21st October 2005, 23:17

Phil.
Weve spent so much timetalking about the Wild Auk on the Cumberland site, it should be on its own.
Gary Blyde is right.
Afteryou left we had a third on called ticker tock who was also from New Zealand and a third called Barrie but cant remember where he was from, but definitely somewhere in England.
The third Off was called keith Thomas from south wales.
Do you remember him?
I can find the 4th I replaced from my joinig instructions which I still have somewhere.
Ill let you know.
I remember the cardinal Puff well.
There were some good times in the bar in relation to that game.!!!!
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:41

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1
Phil.
Weve spent so much timetalking about the Wild Auk on the Cumberland site, it should be on its own.
Done!
Old 22nd October 2005, 09:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

My location
Keep it going guys, I never did sail on Wild boats, saw plenty, got many hangovers, They were great ships, especially the Wild "C"'s
Old 31st October 2005, 10:38

I quite agree Steve. Nice to see a new thread. The Third you mentioned 'Ticker Tock' was Raymond Tock, I did sail with him later but can't remember what ship. Don't know about the one called Barrie. Unless it is a surname as there was a Trevor Barrie in the fleet. We must try to get some strings started on other P&O GCD ships as they were when you and I sailed on them.
Old 3rd November 2005, 18:32

Phil,
Good idea about the other strings.
Youre right, the 3rd was Raymond Tock.
The 4th I replaced was a K Cornett. Do you remember him?.
I cant recall him myself.
Old 4th November 2005, 01:13

Wild Auk

If you look at the NUMAST website (google will find it), there is a section "Shipmates Reunited". Click on that and there is a message from someone looking for ex Wild Auk pals. Good luck.

John T.
Old 6th December 2005, 23:53

Phil,
Do you have any photos of the engine room of the auk or know anyone who has any.
Incidentally the same applies to the Cumberland.
I can still rmember the layout of the cumberland well but the Auk has now faded.
Old 7th December 2005, 01:21

My location
Steve,

Got no pics, but from memory and a couple of ship visits only, didn't she have B & W main engine??? The C's had MAN's, the F's and G's had Sulzers and M's B & W's - I think.
Old 7th December 2005, 11:47

Yes Steve I got a pic or two of the old Cumberland engineroom I will scan them and post them at the weekend.
Old 10th December 2005, 17:36

Phil,
Fantastic.
Cant wait to see them.
Old 3rd March 2006, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertalk1234
I quite agree Steve. Nice to see a new thread. The Third you mentioned 'Ticker Tock' was Raymond Tock, I did sail with him later but can't remember what ship. Don't know about the one called Barrie. Unless it is a surname as there was a Trevor Barrie in the fleet. We must try to get some strings started on other P&O GCD ships as they were when you and I sailed on them.
Ticker died after a fight with the big c a couple of yrs back(approx 99) in NZ
Old 31st July 2006, 22:56

The 3rd Eng sailed with called Barrie was Barry Scott. Anyone remember him.
Old 31st July 2006, 23:36

My location
Steve,

Was Barrie Scott a shortish guy with glasses - mad as a cut snake. If it is the same bloke I was on the Sussex with him - great fella.
Old 14th September 2006, 19:59

Dox,
That was him. The description is spot on.
Steve.
Old 23rd May 2007, 06:35

wild auk pic BA

thought you guys would like a pic of the old girl taken in Buenos Aries, i was the c/cook, Capt Rawlings was the old man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0003.jpg (48.4 KB, 143 views)
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:32

Was there a baker from the Somerset area called "Clarrie".If you were in the loop he made great cornish pasties.I sailed with him on Somerset but saw him later approx`74/75 on the Auk.
Dolan
Old 13th August 2008, 21:36

Wild Auk

Great ship, worked as Motorman prior to going to college and doing my radio Ticket, the cook was nuts and we eventually fell out he was from cornwall, he put an axe through the captains door, he was paid off in Canada, We were picking up bananas in Equador and doing the Japanese ports for drop off.
74/75 have to check my book. I joined with 3 other guys from Hull deckcrew
James Quigley AB, Les Thompson Ab and A. Another. We worked IDF agreement.
Everything 10 pence behind the bar.

regards

John Beaumont
Old 8th October 2012, 19:24

My location
Icannot? not believe the ammount of comment about wild auk was leckie on her when she gained her ums cert ..... very nervous days in 1972 maybe? plus got married on her in 1973 anyone remember that party??'? regards keith marzetti
Old 21st October 2012, 07:22

My husband was second on Wild Auk late 1973 Gordon Scott and I sailed with him the. One of the thirds was a scots guy and he got married after he left. Remember going up the street in Tokyo to get his wedding present. Bob Herkess was the chief engineer. He is still around but has had a stroke recently. Worked right up to it though. My husband unfortunately has mesothelioma from his days with the lovely stuff. Ivan was chief electrician then. Another third was a university trained guy Geordie like my oh and both the chiefs we had.

We went to Israel twice, Ecuador, Japan, USA NZ

We were on board over six months.
Old 28th November 2012, 06:34

She was indeed a very happy ship. I joined her in Sheerness in early 1976. Bugsy Moran was indeed the skipper. We sailed up to Felixstowe and loaded a load of MG sports cars for Halifax. Crossing the Atlantic hit an awful gale. On discharge one of cars must have been gently knocking up a stanchion in the hold as it had a perfect square knocked into the front of it. Started first time though and flew up the jetty. From Halifax we went to Puerto Boliva in Ecudor and loaded bananas for Japan. In Japan the 2nd Engineer bought a radio mike which could broadcast on FM, consequently we had some quite hilarious radio programmes all the way back over to Ecudor until Bugsy got to hear of it. Once again we went back to Japan. From Japan we went down to Kiwi going to Auckland, Lyttleton before loading a full cargo of apples in Nelson & Picton. I remember Keith Thomas the 3rd, Fridgey was Brian (whom i was later with on the Flamingo & Curlew) The Chief Stewards name was Brian also but have forgotten his surname. The Chief Cook was Roger Chamberlain, 2nd Steward was Jim Gandy and the 2nd Cook was Peter from Brighton. John Elam was Bosun mate. I have a photo of us all somewhere in the loft in a state of supreme intoxication( I 'll ferret it out). Arrived in the UK for the best summer in memory- 1976, but wasnt every summer good in those days. The Wild Auk lovely ship- lovely memories.
Old 12th March 2013, 17:12

I thing the fridgie mentioned , would have been the one & only Brian flood - I sailed with him on the Westmorland & Taupo.
regards (Kevin Donoghue).