Ships Nostalgia banner

Charlie Farmer

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  oldman 80 
#1 ·
I noticed in the obituaries in Edinburgh Evening News tonight Charlie Farmer aged 70 , Retired Merchant Navy, from North Berwick. I remember a Charlie Farmer in Ben Line but that was more than 30 years ago so may not be the same one but if anyone interested the funeral is at Mortonhall Crematorium , Pentland Chapel at 12.30PM on thursday April 1st.

#4 ·
Charlie Farmer.

Yes I would agree with you John this can sadly only be the only Charlie Farmer formerly with ben Line and lived in and around Leith with his sister.

Charlie we beleave may have been on the Bendoran or possibly the one who in Dec 1958 painted " Ship Ben " on the side of a Bluey lying in Singapore.
A very good sailor worked hard and played hard in the right ports .
He liked the Japanese coast , for whatever it gave you, Cherry blossom in the Inland Sea at this time of year or great gifts to take home from all the different ports or the entertainment the gaeisha girls gave in the bars down the lanes of Yokohama,Kobe and Nagoya.

Its sad to hear another great salt of the Ben Line Pool has crossed the Bar.
My sympathy and condolances to any living relations.

Rgds Ian.

#6 ·
Yes I would agree with you John this can sadly only be the only Charlie Farmer formerly with ben Line and lived in and around Leith with his sister.

Charlie we beleave may have been on the Bendoran or possibly the one who in Dec 1958 painted " Ship Ben " on the side of a Bluey lying in Singapore.
A very good sailor worked hard and played hard in the right ports .
He liked the Japanese coast , for whatever it gave you, Cherry blossom in the Inland Sea at this time of year or great gifts to take home from all the different ports or the entertainment the gaeisha girls gave in the bars down the lanes of Yokohama,Kobe and Nagoya.

Its sad to hear another great salt of the Ben Line Pool has crossed the Bar.
My sympathy and condolances to any living relations.

Rgds Ian.
Hi Ian.
The Charlie Farmer I sailed with in Ben Line was a steward,a character,unless there were two Charlie Farmers.There was a Charlie McNair a sailor who lived in Leith,and,also Charlie Martin aka Carlos Martinez also from Leith.

#7 ·
Yes John ,you are correct it was a failure of the connection between the grey matter and a diode somewhere .That what happens when you make a quick decission to reply and dont notice the real charactor as you all ready have some one in your mind.
My appolgies to all concerned It was Charlie Macnair i was thinking of.
Happy Easter to all Ian.

#9 ·
Ah, Charlie Farmer, the Man with no name!

I remember him on the Cramond when we went to Chile in 76. As usual, he went ashore alone, but we bumped into him in one of the bars in Tocopilla or Concepcion, and there he was, smoking a long stogie and conversing in perfect Spanish with some girls! He kept his cards close to his chest!

RIP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.