Chuscal - Ships Nostalgia
02:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Chuscal

Old 30th October 2005, 13:25
Willie

My location
Chuscal

Chuscal in United Fruit colours. Sailed on her from Jan-July 1972. Fantastic trip. Spent nearly six months running from Central America to the States. The longest time at sea between ports was about six days. Subs enormous - savings nil.
Remembering ports such as Golfito, Tela, Los Angeles and Albany NY still bring back memories of happy times. Great ship, great crew. Would like to get in touch with anybody who was with Fyffes around that time.
Photo courtesy of Kevin Murphy another former skin boat guy.

Willie Macfarlane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chuscal arriving port.jpg (68.7 KB, 139 views)
Old 30th October 2005, 17:38
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Willie to the site, you are now with the sea/ship loving fraternity, enjoy the site and the banter that goes with it.
Old 30th October 2005, 22:19

My location
be 4 your time chirripo chicanoa changuinola chuscal 1950 1960s chuscal sold to homeri shipping co .renamed mardinia exporter great times get back to u some time terry
Old 21st January 2006, 22:45
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Kevin Murphy - was he a Frig Engineer?
If the same one I sailed with him on Chicanoa on joining Fyffes as 2nd Engineer in 1968.
He was of immense help to me as I got to grips with new company, new ship
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Mac
Chuscal in United Fruit colours. Sailed on her from Jan-July 1972. Fantastic trip. Spent nearly six months running from Central America to the States. The longest time at sea between ports was about six days. Subs enormous - savings nil.
Remembering ports such as Golfito, Tela, Los Angeles and Albany NY still bring back memories of happy times. Great ship, great crew. Would like to get in touch with anybody who was with Fyffes around that time.
Photo courtesy of Kevin Murphy another former skin boat guy.

Willie Macfarlane
Sailed on Morant, Motagua, Musa when managed by Salen UK. Like you said, great (and expensive) runs. Did Golfito-Albany dozens of times (must have just about bought 'Grinch' bar in Albany). Also loaded at odd times in Tela, Puerto Cortes and Almirante.
exsailor
Old 22nd January 2006, 13:53
Willie

My location
Jim - Kevin Murphy (spud) wasnt on the Chuscal same time as me although we have been in touch. Fridge Engineer on the Chuscal (1972).was a lad called Bob, second from left in the photo. Can anyone put names to the rest of the lads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crew Bar Party.jpg (129.4 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Willie Mac : 22nd January 2006 at 14:02.
Old 25th January 2006, 19:48

I attach a photo (hopefully) of the Fridge Engineer that was of immense help to me on Chicanoa in 1968 - his name was Kevin and until now I thought his surname was Murphy, but now I am not so sure - is this the guy that you know?

I also attach a photo of George my watchkeeping fireman on Chicanoa in 1968 and later on Camito - George was one of Fyffes characters.He was renowned for always being the last man back on board ship before sailing.
Often the moorings would be singled up and the gangway on the point of being lifted when George would be sighted shuffling along the quay. He would climb aboard to the cheers of the watching deck crew, usually giving a cheery wave to an irate Master on the wing of the bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mail0002.JPG (24.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Mail0001.JPG (35.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 29th January 2006, 18:32

chuscal 1969

I sailed on the Chuscal back in 69. I admit it was quite a good ship , however three trips to Lybia was not every ones cup of tea.
Old 20th June 2008, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I attach a photo (hopefully) of the Fridge Engineer that was of immense help to me on Chicanoa in 1968 - his name was Kevin and until now I thought his surname was Murphy, but now I am not so sure - is this the guy that you know?

I also attach a photo of George my watchkeeping fireman on Chicanoa in 1968 and later on Camito - George was one of Fyffes characters.He was renowned for always being the last man back on board ship before sailing.
Often the moorings would be singled up and the gangway on the point of being lifted when George would be sighted shuffling along the quay. He would climb aboard to the cheers of the watching deck crew, usually giving a cheery wave to an irate Master on the wing of the bridge.
This is Kevin Kilduff from Manchester way,sailed with him many times on various ships whilst Iwas in Fyffes 1960-1975 started as 5th engineer finished up as 2nd. Harry Campbell
Old 20th June 2008, 23:14

Harry,
Thanks for solving the name of the Fyffes Frig Engineer. I am ashamed that having sailed for 6 months with him on Chicanoa I could not remember his surname. As I said on the earlier posting Kevin was a great help to me as Chicanoa was not only my first ship in Fyffes but my first 2nds job other than as coastal relief with Brocklebank. A great lad to sail with.
I was with Fyffes from late 1967 until mid 1974.
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:47

I too remember Kevin Kilduff as a good shipmate with a great sense of humour. He was 3/Eng and I was 2nd on Tilapa Sep 1964/ Mar 1965. Chief/Eng was John Gay Chief/ Frig, Johnny O'Mara and Skipper was Capt Hamilton. After a quick trip to Jamaica we returned to Garston it was the first time a 'T" boat had docked there, we then continued with our six month trip on the US coast.