Benledi (VI) - Ships Nostalgia
16:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benledi (VI)

Old 30th October 2005, 22:56
Willie

My location
Benledi (VI)

First trip. Joined her at "M" Shed West India Docks in August 1969. Everything about her was overwhelming to a young lad who had never been on, or even seen, a deep sea cargo ship in his life. At that time the ship held many records for the fastest passages to many Far East ports.
Captained by Oswald Tucker she was known by many in the company as "Tuckers Tornado".

After leaving London my first run ashore was in Yokohama, Japan. Talk about a cultural shock for a lad who would'nt even be seventeen for another month!!! You certainly grew up fast in these days. FANTASTIC.

Would like to know if it is possible to get crew and ports of call lists from these days

Willie Macfarlane
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benledi (VI).jpg (48.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 30th October 2005, 23:13

Ben Line

Hi,
Try the Ben Line site they have crew lists etc. Isailed with them for 10 years and knew Ossie well. http://ben-line.org.uk/
Regards,
Billy.
PS let me know if you have any luck.
Old 15th November 2005, 22:56
Willie

My location
Hi Billy

I've already got my details on the Ben Line webpage. Site seems to have ground to a halt in June 04. As there forum page is still running would it be OK or allowed to advertise this website there and hopefully direct any other former Ben boat guys to this site.

I see you mentioned Peter Cowie in another email. Pete actually joined the Benledi on the same day as me in August 1969. (Both first trippers).

Regards
Willie