Recessions and how reported. - Ships Nostalgia
22:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Recessions and how reported.

Old 24th June 2010, 18:07

My location
Recessions and how reported.

Being the fortunate possessor of all of the issues of the Blue Peter magazine for the years 1928;1929;1930 and 1931, I am constantly amazed that the words "slump", or "recession", get never a mention in all of those
2,672 pages. Those years, as any would know, were the years of the great depression, following the Wall St. Stock Market crash.
During those years, Captain Andy McClounan (his whole sea-faring life was spent with the Port Line) was a young deck officer in that company.
To rise from 5th and 4th mate to 3rd mate (in charge of a watch status) took him just under six years!

To compare my lot with his: I was appointed a 4th mate in the Blue Funnel Line in May 1947 and sailed in such capacity for just five months, before promotion to 3rd mate.
Old 24th June 2010, 19:11

Maybe there was no depression for the readers of Blue Peter? Anyway, as I understand it, it was printed to be distributed onboard passenger liners; the main, if not the whole revenue, coming from the advertisements - the space for which that probably was expensive inasmuch as guaranteed to reach a moneyed clientele. On that background, any depressing finance news would not be appreciated.
Old 24th June 2010, 20:13

My location
Well, you're partly right, Stein. Judging by the adverts, the people who bought those goods were not short of the necessary "dosh". However, there is a huge contribution to the articles by professional seamen of every rank. Obviously, I haven't read every word-they weigh over ten k.g.!! but you have prompted me to read more thoroughly some of the lengthy (and boring) reports by various heads of various organizations.
I'll post one of the adverts to show you what constituted glamour in those days. I must suppose my own mother may have wished to emulate them!! But, I don't think she stood a chance.
Old 25th June 2010, 07:45

To rise from 5th and 4th mate to 3rd mate (in charge of a watch status) took him just under six years!

During the depression years some would have gone to sea as an AB, even Masters were sailing in this capacity just to find work. Maybe this is why it took him so long?
Old 25th June 2010, 18:33

My location
Nothing changes much
Lord Inchcape's (chairman of P&O) address at the P&O annual meeting in 1931, received the following comments in Blue Peter magazine:-

In the present conditions of the country's fortunes his call for a halt in the Government's expenditure has been re-echoed and endorsed by the newspaper press throughout the Kingdom. Speaking of the present absurd levels of taxation he said:
"This raid on the fruits of industry and thrift, this expropriation of capital which should remain as a source of reproductive trade and national wealth, is in itself a sufficient cause of regret; but a worse aspect of the matter is that a large part of the reckless plunder, instead of being applied to intensive reduction of the national debt is dispensed with too lavish a hand in the payment of doles.......In the hard times through which the country is passing a measure of relief is inevitable and necessary; but few will be found to dispute that relief which approaches too nearly and in some instances oversteps, the wages level is, morally and financially, a sin against the people. It is truly a rake's progress."
Turning from Government's extravagance, he reiterated his belief that the fate of the country lies to a great extent in the hands of the Trade Union leaders, adding that unless they realised the economic position of Great Britain in the arena of international competition, the country would come to grief, and the Unions and all their members would share in the disaster.
Old 27th June 2010, 12:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
Maybe there was no depression for the readers of Blue Peter? Anyway, as I understand it, it was printed to be distributed onboard passenger liners; the main, if not the whole revenue, coming from the advertisements - the space for which that probably was expensive inasmuch as guaranteed to reach a moneyed clientele. On that background, any depressing finance news would not be appreciated.
Here's one of those adverts to which, Stein, refers. One thing that doesn't appear to have changed is "stick thin" models!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chic in 1929.jpg (206.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:58

That nice Lord Inchcape sounds so much like our present day Buffoon,sorry,Lord Digby Jones,one time public face of the CBI,"Business Adviser"to the previous "New Labour" Government.
Funny how the language and targets have remained the same over the decades.
Or is it just me?