Watts Watts & Co. PART 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Watts Watts & Co. PART 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:48
maritiem maritiem is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,159
Watts Watts & Co. PART 3

PART 3

Britain Steamship Co. Ltd.

ILFORD (1901-1931)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 114765 4,264g, 109.7 x 14.6 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 9.5 Knots
18.1901 launched 10.1901 completed by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No. 92 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1931 B/U Genoa.

TOTTENHAM (1901-1904) (1904-1911)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 112827 4,494g, 112. 8 x 15.4 metres
Triple expansion steam engine
18.2.1901 launched 3.1901 completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 379 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1904 sold to Harris & Dixon Ltd. renamed BRINKBURN. 1904 re purchased renamed TOTTENHAM. 2.2.1911 wrecked SW Juan de Nova Is, Mozambique Channel.

BECKENHAM (1901-1931)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 114711 4,566g, 112. 8 x 15.4 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 9.5 Knots
3.6.1901 launched 7.1901 completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 382 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1931 B/U Genoa.

ASCOT (1902-1931)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 115818 4,334g, 384.8 x 50.2 feet (117.3 x 15.3 metres)
Triple expansion steam engine 10.5 Knots
8.4.1902 launched 5.1902 completed by Napier & Miller, Yoker Yard No. 122 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1931 B/U Genoa.

EPSOM (1901-1933)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 114806 4,556g, 112. 8 x 15.4 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 9.5 Knots
28.10.1901 launched 1.1902 completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 386 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1931 sold to Orazio Rosini, Genoa renamed NINFEA. 1933 B/U Genoa.


WANDSWORTH (1905-1911)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 114758 3,230g, 2,068n 330.2 x 45.7 feet
Triple expansion steam engine
23.8.1901 launched 9.1901 completed by William Hamilton & Co Port Glasgow Yard No. 160 as MELBREK for Melbrek SS Co. (Deas, Foster)., London. 1903 sold to Heath Lne renamed HEATHBANK. 1905 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed WANDSWORTH. 1911 sold to Merevale Shipping, Cardiff renamed CAMLAKE. 1916 sold to Lund & Dixon, London. 17.8.1917 stranded two miles north of Azimour/Azemmour Point, Morocco and total loss (Philadelphia for La Seyne sur Mer, general cargo), crew saved 1918 sold to Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, Paris. 26.8.1919 refloated but sank after six hours in eight fathoms while being towed to Mazagan (El Jadida) for temporary repairs; subsequently abandoned.

FULHAM (1905-1908)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 113125 4,234g,
Triple expansion steam engine by Richardsons, Westgarth & Co. Ltd, Sunderland
11.7.1903 launched 8.1903 completed by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No. 106 as MANCHESTER MILLER for Manchester Liners. 1905 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London renamed FULHAM. 1908 reverted to Manchester Liners renamed MANCHESTER MILLER. 5.6.1917 torpedoed and sunk by Geman submarine U.66 190 miles NW ½ N of Fastnet on voyage Philadelphia to Manchester with general cargo, 8 lost.

CHATHAM (1918-1929)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 114515 3,541g, 104.0 x 14.2 metres
Triple expansion steam engine
25.1.1902 launched 3.1902 completed by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields Yard No. 359 as EASTVILLE for Ville Steamships Ltd., North Shields. 1918 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London renamed CHATHAM. 1929 sold to renamed Vassilios Livanos, Chios, Greece renamed TIMIOS STAVROS. 1912.1932 foundered.

CHERTSEY (1918-1929)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 109604 3,750g, 355.1 x 45 feet
Triple expansion steam engine 10 Knots
21.9.1900 launched 11.1900 completed by C. Connell Ltd., Glasgow Yard No. 256 as DUNBAR for Dunedin Steamship Co. (Henderson & McIntosh), Leith. 1918 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed CHERTSEY. 1929 sold to P.M. Poutous, Syra renamed MICHALIS POUTOUS. 1932 B/U Bilbao.

ALSTON (1918-1919)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 115154 3,955g, 105.8 x 14.2 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 12 Knots
26.8.1903 launched 10.1903 completeed by J. Priestman, Southwick Yard No. 100 as ALSTON for Webster & Barraclough, West Hartlepool. 1918 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London. 1919 sold to Sir William Garthwaite, London. 1921 sold to Marine Nav Co of Canada Ltd, Montreal. 1923 sold to Hamaguchi Kisen Kaisha, Amagasaki, Japan renamed KINOENE MARU. 8.3.1927 wrecked Tongochato, off Mokpo.

REMENHAM (1926-1931)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 149750 3,353g, 99.1 x 14.4 metres
Triple expansion steam engine
24.6.1903 launched 8.1903 completed by Raylton,Dixon & Co, Middlesborough Yard No. 500 as CAROL 1ER for Louis Dreyfuss. 1923 sold to Armement Deppe, Antwerp renamed ARLON, 1926 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London renamed REMENHAM, 1931 sold to K. Pool renamed LENNUK, 1935 sold to Kasmu Laiva Omanikud (O. Tiedemann) renamed ELNA, 1940 seized by British Government renamed ELNA II, 1941 allocated to USSR.1956 scrapped at Tallin.



HIGHGATE (1926-1929)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 113993 3,281g, 325.5 x 48.2 feet
Triple expansion steam engine
1.11.1901 launched 11.1901 completed by A. Rodger & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No. 357 as DUNOLLY for Scottish Navigation Company (Glen & Co.), Glasgow. 1926 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London renamed HIGHGATE. 1928 transferred to Watts Watts & Co. London. 1929 sold to N. Mastrandreas & Symeonides, Syra, Greece renamed MASTRANDREAS. 1933 sold to Barzilay & Benjamin, Istanbul renamed DOGAN. 1944 transferred to Turkish Government. 1951 B/U La Spezia.

WINSLOW (1926-1930)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 115786 3,495g, 340 x 45 x 18 feet (103.6 x 13.7 metres)
Triple expansion steam engine by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Port Gloasgow 10.5 Knots
13.7.1903 launched 9.1903 completed by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton Yard No. 390 as DUMBARTON built for H. Mclean, Glasgow. 1907 sold to Babtie, Weir & Co., Glasgow renamed OVERDALE. 1915 sold to Chr. Salvesen, Leith not renamed. 1926 sold to Britain Steam Ship Co. ( Watts, Watts & Co. ), London renamed WINSLOW, 1930 sold to Armement Colignon S.A., Antwerp renamed FERNAND COLLIGNON, 1932 sold to A. Klat, Alexandria renamed RADAMES, 20.5.1941 torpedoed by German submarine U.103 off Monrovia but remained afloat, 25.5.1941 torpedoed again by German submarine U.103 and sunk.

BEACONSFIELD (1938-1958)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 166576 4,635g, 9,225dwt 132.2 x 17.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 11 Knots
18.7.1938 launched 9.1938 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 377 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1958 sold to Malaya Shipping Co. Ltd., London renamed TWINHORSE. 1962 sold to United Shipping & Investment Co. Ltd., London. 1964 B/U Hirao.

TOTTENHAM (1940-1941)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 167541 4,762g, 127.3 x 17.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 10 Knots
21.3.1940 launched 6.1940 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 384 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 17.6.1941 shelled and sunk by German raider Atlantis in South Atlantic.

TWICKENHAM (1940-1958)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168028 4,762g, 127.3 x 17.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 10 Knots
17.9.1940 launched 1.1940 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 385 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1958 sold to The Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd., Bombay renamed JAG MATA. 1963 B/U Bombay.

TEDDINGTON (1941)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168080 4,762g, 127.3 x 17.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 10 Knots
10.1.1941 launched 3.1941 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 386 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 17.9.1941 torpedoed by German E Boat and beached off Cromer.

ASCOT (1942-1944)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168342 7,004g, 136.1 x 17.3 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 11 Knots
8.10.1942 launched 12.1942 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 398 for for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 29.2.1942 torpedoed and sunk by Japanese submarine I.37. 46 crew members lost.

WILLESDEN (1945 1946)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 166219. 6,997g, 4,934n. 427.1 x 56.3 x 35.2 feet.
8 cyl. 4 S.C S.A. oil engine by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Newcastle.
30.10.1944 launched 12.1944 completed by the Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Dundee Yard No.412 as EMPIRE CANNING for the Ministry of War Transport. 1.1945 placed under Hogarth management. 6.6.1946 sold to the Britain Steamship Co. Ltd. (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd. managers), London and renamed WILLESDEN. 1958 sold to Lambda Shipping Co. Ltd. (World Wide Co. (Shipping Managers) Ltd. managers), Hong Kong renamed GOLDEN LAMBDA. 1960 sold to the Neptune Shipping Co. Ltd., Hong Kong renamed MARINE EXPLORER. 1962 sold to Viking Shipping Co. Ltd., Hong Kong renamed EAST VIM. 1963 renamed WAKASA BAY, same owners. 1966 sold to Leo Shipping Co. Ltd. (World Wide (Shipping) Ltd. managers), Hong Kong renamed GOLDEN WIND. 16.11.1966 arrived at Wakayama for breaking up by Mitsui & Co. Ltd. 8.12.1966 demolition began at Tsuneishi cho, Hiroshima.

EPSOM (1947-1950)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 166221 7,056g,
8 cyl. 4 S.C S.A. oil engine by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Newcastle. 12 Knots
30.10.1944 launched 12.1944 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 411 as EMPIRE FAVOUR for the Ministry of War Transport managed by Clark & Service. 1947 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed EPSOM. 1950 sold to Court Line renamed ERRINGTON COURT. 1956 sold to Cia de Nav. Penelope, Panama renamed PENELOPE. 1964 sold to Dalia Cia. Nav., Panama renamed ANDROMACHI. 25.6.1969 damaged and set on fire by Israeli shelling at Suez, 1976 scrapped at Adabiah, Suez.

WANSTEAD (1949-1969)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 183130 IMO 5289053 5,664g, 475.10 x 64.4 feet
5-cyl. 2S.C.S.A. Doxford type oil engine by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Greenock 14 knots.
10.5.1949 launched 10.1949 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 469 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London for their their London - Antwerp - Canadian east coast ports and was the first of three sister ships built to a new revolutionary design. The crew was accommodated in inboard cabins amidships on the 'tween deck with a 9ft gallery running along the outside. The crew mess rooms were outboard. Prior to departure of the maiden voyage from London the ship was visited by the Prime Minister and the Minister of Transport. 1957 chartered by Port Line and renamed PORT WANSTEAD but only until 1960 when she was replaced by WIMBLEDON and reverted back to WANSTEAD. 1963 chartered to Lamport & Holt renamed RAEBURN (3) but in the following year reverted to WANSTEAD. 1964 chartered to John Swire & Sons of London and renamed WANLUI. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1969 purchased by John Swire's China Navigation Co. 1975 sold to the Maldives Shipping Co. of the Maldive Islands and renamed MALDIVE EXPLORER. On 11.6.1978 arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi and broken up.

WENDOVER (1950-1964)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 183183 IMO 5387582 5,664g, 8,590dwt, 2,463n 475.10 x 64.4 feet
5-cyl. 2S.C.S.A. Doxford type oil engine by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Greenock 14 knots.
23.8.1949 launched 2.1950 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 470 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1964 chartered to John Swire & Sons of London and renamed WENCHOW. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1969 sold to China Navigation Company. 1975 sold to Pacific International Lines, Singapore renamed KOTA SUBUR. 30 October 1978 B/U Gadani Beach.

WOODFORD (1950-1964)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 183281 IMO 5408348 5,664g, , 8,590dwt, 2,463n 475.10 x 64.4 feet
5-cyl. 2S.C.S.A. Doxford type oil engine by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Greenock 14 knots.
21.11.1949 launched 7.1950 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 471 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1963 chartered to Lamport & Holt renamed ROSETTI. 1964 reverted to WOODFORD. 1964 chartered to John Swire & Sons of London and renamed WOOSUNG. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1969 sold to China Navigation Company. 1976 sold to Guan Guan Enterprising (H.K.) Ltd., Singapore renamed NEW DRAGON. 1978 B/U Shanghai.

WINDSOR (1952-1963)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 184711 IMO 5391894 7,652g, 465.2 x 58.8 x 27.2 feet
Doxford oil engine 2S.C.S.A 4cyl. 4,400bhp by the shipbuilder 13.5 knots
23.5.1952 launched 9.1952 completed by Barclay Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow Yard No. 727 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1963 sold to The Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd., Bombay renamed JAG KETU. 1967 to Lion International Ltd., London. 1968 sold to Southern Shiping & Enterprises Co. Ltd., London renamed EASTERN LION. 1972 sold to Yick Fung Shipping & Enterprises Co. Ltd., Mogadishu. 1975 sold to China. 1992 deleted from Register.

WOKINGHAM (1953-1963)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 185870 IMO 5392408 7,659g,
Oil engine
20.10.1952 launched 4.1953 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 488 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1963 sold to The Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd., Bombay renamed JAG KRANTI.19 67 sold to Giannicos Nav. Co. Ltd., Famagusta, Cyprus renamed CASTALIA. 1975 sold to Korovina Maritime Co. Ltd., Limassol renamed UNITED SUCCESS. 1976 B/U Inchon.

PUTNEY (1965-1969)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168594 IMO 5040304 1 423g, length 225 7/12' x breadth 36 7/12' x depth 15 9/12' (75.6 x 11.2 metres)
21.1.1954 launched 7.1954 completed by John Lewis, Aberdeen Yard No. 240 as RAMBLER ROSE for Hughes Holden Sg Ltd., Swansea. 1961 sold to O.Dorey & Sons Ltd., Guernsey renamed BELVEDERE. 1965 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London.PUTNEY. 1965 renamed BALMORAL QUEEN. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1968 sold to Eskgarth Sg Co Ltd., London. 1969 sold to Elias S.Condos & others, Piraeus renamed SOLON. 1971 sold to Dimsa Cia Maritima SA, Piraeus renamed MALENA. 1972 sold to Fortuna Shipping Co Ltd., Famagusta. 1979 sold to Aristos Kaisis, Limassol renamed KAISIS I. 1980 B/U Limassol.

WIMBLEDON (1958-1967)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 300765 IMO 5282706 9,223g, 487.6 x 64.4 feet
Doxford oil engine 2S.C.S.A 6cyl. 4,400bhp by the shipbuilder 15 knots.
17.4.1958 launched 9.1958 completed by by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow Yard No. 742 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. Sister of the WEYBRIDGE, 1960 chartered to Port Line to replace the PORT WANSTEAD renamed PORT WIMBLEDON. 1965 reverted to WIMBLEDON. 1967 sold to the National Shipping Corp. of Karachi and renamed SWAT. 1979 owners changed their name to the Pakistan National Shipping Corporation. 27.9. 1982 arrived at Gadani Beach, Karachi and was broken up.

WEYBRIDGE (1958-1967)
Steel screw motorship IMO 5388691 9,221g, 487.6 x 64.4 feet
Doxford oil engine 2S.C.S.A 6cyl. 4,400bhp by the shipbuilder 15 knots.
8.10.1957 launched 1.1958 completed by by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow Yard No. 739 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. Sister of the WIMBLEDON. 1964 chartered to Lamport & Holt renamed ROSETTI. 1964 reverted to WEYBRIDGE. 1967 sold renamed KAROTUA. 1982 B/U Gadani Beach.

WILLESDEN (1961-1962)
Steel screw motorship IMO 8,556g, 465.3 x 63.3 x 29.3 feet
Doxford oil engine 2S.C.S.A 6cyl. 4,400bhp by the shipbuilder 15 knots
18.11.1960 launched 2.1961 completed by by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow Yard No. 746 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1962 sold to Nav. Maritime Bulgare, Varna, Bulgaria renamed GEORGI SAVA RAKOVSKY. 1984 B/U
WESTMINSTER BRIDGE (1968)
Steel screw motorship IMO 6804953 42,202g, length 805 x beam 105.5 x draught 45.4 feet
Oil engine by Engines by J.G. Kincaid & Co. Ltd., Greenock 15 knots.
19.12.1967 launched 3.1968 completed by Lithgows Ltd., Port Glasgow Yard No. 1164 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London for charter to the Seabridge Consortium. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1973 sold to Proteus Shipping Co. of Monrovia and renamed PROTEUS. 1985 sold to Philippine President Lines Inc. of Manila renamed PRESIDENT ROXAS. 12.2.1988 Stranded at Mile 149.4, River Orinoco. Refloated 18.5.88 after part cargo lightened and subsequently sold and towed to Alang as PINE.


Alexandria Navigation Co. Ltd.



STAR OF CAIRO (1931-1936) See CHATHAM 1929-1931)

STAR OF ALEXANDRIA (1931-1933) See NORBITON (1929-1931)

STAR OF RAMLEH (1933-1940)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 3683g, 105.7 x 15.5 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 10 Knots
13.9.1920 launched 10.1920 completed by completed by Ropner & Son, Stockton Yard No. 534 as ALNESS for Reardon Smith Line, Cardiff. 1933 sold to Alexandria Nav. Co., Egypt renamed STAR OF RAMLEH. 1940 to British Government renamed EMPIRE LOTUS, 12.4.1942 foundered in heavy weather.

STAR OF ALEXANDRIA (1934-1936)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 5,104g, 3,738n, 9,400dwt 109.60 x 15.30 x 9.15m
Triple expansion steam engine by Gebr. Stork en Co., Hengelo 2000 pk, 10.5 Knots
9.1921 completed by Int. Scheepsb. Mij. De Maas, Slikkerveer Yard No. 13 launched as MARIST for Eb & Dresselhuys, Rotterdam completed as ANJER for Rotterdamsche Lloyd. 1926 sold to Norway. 1930 sold to Fabre Line but Norwegian flag. 1934 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF ALEXANDRIA. 1936 sold to Cia. Argentina de Nav. Mihanovich Ltda, Buenos Aires renamed URUGUAY. 27.5.1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.29.

STAR OF EGYPT (1934-1950)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 4879g, 117.7 x 16.1 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 11 Knots
11.1.1921 launched 3.1921 completed by Palmers' Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Hebburn on Tyne Yard No. 913 as PHOEBUS for Soc. Les Afreteurs Reunis, Rouen. 1932 sold to Reardon Smith Line, Cardiff renamed GENERAL SMUTS. 1934 sold to Alexandria Nav. Co., Egypt renamed STAR OF EGYPT, 1950 scrapped Milford Haven.

STAR OF ALEXANDRIA (1936-1950)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 147795 4,302g, 2,669n 388.8 x 52.6 x 24.2 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle upon Tyne
24.11.1927 launched .1928 completed by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd.,Wallsend, Newcastle Yard No. 1323 as TOFTWOOD for Joseph Constantine Steamship Line Ltd. 1936 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria, the Red Rose Line, with Watts Watts & Co. as managers renamed STAR OF ALEXANDRIA. 1950 sold to B.& A. Montanari, Italy renamed MONTARDIZIO. 1959 sold to Cie. Miniere et Metallurgique SA, Morocco renamed KETTARA II. 1959 B/U Kure.

STAR OF CAIRO (1937-1946)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 4555g, 387.6 x 52.0 x 23.1 feet
Triple expansion steam engine
8.4.1924 launched 5.1924 completed by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No. 387 as GOLDEN SEA for Golden Sea S.S. Co. (Wylie, Ross & Co.), London. 1937 purchased by Alexandria Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF CAIRO. 11.9.1946 stranded 18 miles north of Necochea.

STAR OF SUEZ (1938-1942)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 4,999g, 415.4 x 52.3 x 24.5 feet
Triple expansion steam engine 9.5 Knots
28.11.1925 launched 1.1926 completed by D. & W. Henderson Ltd., Glasgow. Yard No. 709 as MARTHARA for Maclay & McIntyre, Glasgow. 1938 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF SUEZ. 15.12.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.159.

STAR OF LUXOR (1939-1941)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 5,214g, 400 x 52.5 feet
Triple expansion steam engine 11 Knots
2.4.1918 launched 5.1918 completed by Wm. Gray & Co. West Hartlepool Yard No. 899 as WAR JACKDAW for the Shipping Controller with Furness,Withy & Co. as managers. 1919 she was acquired by the Furness, Withy subsidiary Peareth Steamship Co. of Newcastle renamed TARTAR PRINCE. 1924 transferred to Prince Line Ltd, retaining her name. 1933 sold to Societe Misr de Nav. Maritime of Alexandria renamed FOSTAT. 1939 sold to Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria, the Red Rose Line, with Watts Watts & Co. as managers renamed STAR OF LUXOR. 10.12.1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.130 off Rockall.

STAR OF MEX (1939-1947)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 912g, 1,300dwt 65.1 x 10.03 x 4.53 metres
Triple expansion steam engine by Ottenser Maschinefabrik GmbH, Altona 10 Knots
30.9.1911 launched 11.1911 completed by Henry Koch, Lübeck Yard No. 209 as MOSEL for A. Kirsten, Hamburg. 1935 sold to Fairplay, Richard Borchard renamed ALISA. 1936 sold to Atid Navigation Co.,Haifa. 1937 sold to Soc. Misr. De Nav. Marit, Alexandria, Egypt renamed Port Sudan, 1939 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF MEX. 30.1.1947 stranded and lost near Ras al Khabba.

STAR OF EL NIL (1946-1950)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 4,930g, 6,810dwt 131.4 x 16.6 metres
6 cyl. oil engine by MAN Vulkan 14 Knots
4.5.1935 launched 6.1935 completed by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack Yard No. 711 as DÜSSELDORF for Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen. 15.12.1939 captured by British warship. 1940 renamed POLAND. 1940 renamed EMPIRE CONFIDENCE for Ministry of War Transport ( Royal Mail Mgrs).1946 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF EL NIL. 1950 sold to Lamport & Holt Line, Liverpool renamed SPENSER. 1955 renamed ROSCOE. 1962 B/U Bilbao.

STAR OF CAIRO (1947-1950)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 4,665g, 2,876n 385.5 x 52.5 feet
Triple expansion steam engine by Rankin & Blackmore, Greenock 10.5 knots
16.10.1917 launched 1.1918 completed by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton Yard No. 460 as SHERIDAN for Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate SN Co. (Lamport & Holt), Liverpool. 134 transferred to Lamport & Holt Line, Liverpool. 1947 purchased by Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria renamed STAR OF CAIRO. 1950 sold to Transoceanic SS Co., Karachi renamed OCEAN ENDEAVOUR. 1963 BU Karachi.

STAR OF ASSUAN (1948-1959)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 5,392g, 398.4 x 55.4 x 23.7 feet
Oil engine by Sulzer 13.5 Knots
21.6.1948 launched 11.1948 completed by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee Yard No. 437 for Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria. 1959 sold to Soc. Generale pour la Nav. Maritime, Alexandria. 1961 to United Arab Maritime Co., Alexandria. 1974 sold to The Egyptian Nav. Co., Alexandria. 1984 sold to Suez Stevedoring Co. 1986 B/U Gadani Beach.


STAR OF LUXOR (1948-1959)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 6,240g, 6,695dwt 408 x 56.7 x 23.10 feet
Oil engine by Sulzer 14 Knots
5.6.1948 launched 10.1948 completed by Cantieri Riuniti dell’ Adriatico Yard No. 1741 for Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria. 1959 sold to Soc. Generale pour la Nav. Maritime, Alexandria. 1961 to United Arab Maritime Co., Alexandria. 1974 sold to The Egyptian Nav. Co., Alexandria. 1983 owners restyled as Egyptian Nav. Co. renamed AFRIQUIA. 1983 B/U Split.

STAR OF SUEZ (1948-1959)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 6,240g, 6,695dwt 408 x 56.7 x 23.10 feet
Oil engine by Sulzer 14 Knots
3.7.1948 launched 12.1948 completed by Cantieri Riuniti dell’ Adriatico Yard No. 1742 for Alexandria Steam Navigation Co., Alexandria. 1959 sold to Soc. Generale pour la Nav. Maritime, Alexandria. 1961 to United Arab Maritime Co., Alexandria. 1974 sold to The Egyptian Nav. Co., Alexandria. 1980 B/U Split.



MANAGED SHIPS

WAR STAG (1918-1919)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 142431. 5249g, 3178n. 400.0 x 52,3 x 28.5 feet.
T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
28.3.1918: Launched by Wm. Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland Yard No. 525, as WAR STAG for The Shipping Controller (Watts, Watts and Co. Ltd., managers). 1918: Completed. 1919: Purchased by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREGONNELL. 1935: Sold for £15,650 to A. Lauro, Italy and renamed IRIS. 25.6.1943: Bombed and sunk during an air attack on Messina. 4.1947: Raised after 8 months work and on 21.5.1947 left in tow for Spezia for repair. 1948: Recommissioned. 1958: Sold to Cantieri Tomaso di Savoia for demolition and 10.4.1958 arrived at Spezia.

AUGSBURG (1919 1920)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 143094. 8047g, 5038n. 475.6 x 60.9 x 33.0 feet.
T.3 cyl. by the Shipbuilder.
22.1.1915. Launched by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg (Yard No. 343), as AUGSBURG for Norddeutscher Lloyd, Germany. 2.1916: Completed. 1919: Surrendered to Great Britain as a prize and allocated to The Shipping Controller (Watts, Watts and Co. Ltd., manager) 9.12.1920: Purchased for £ 180,000 by The Hain Steamship Co. Ltd. and renamed TREMERE 1924: Sold to Federal Steam Navigation Co. Ltd., London and renamed PURIRI. 1934: Sold to Japanese shipbreakers.

OCEAN MESSENGER (1942 1948)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168638. 7129 9. 4252 n. 425.1 x57.0x34.8 ft.
T.3 cyl. by J. Inglis, Ontario, 505nhp.
10.1942 completed by Todd Bath Shipbuilders, Portland, Maine (Yard No.25) as OCEAN MESSENGER for the Ministry of War Transport. Watts, Watts & Co. appointed managers. 1948 purchased by The Clan Line Steamers Ltd., renamed CLAN MACBRAYNE. 1960 registered under King Line Ltd. 27.3.1961 arrived Mihara, Japan, for scrapping, sold for £65,000.

CALORIA (1942-1946)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 120675 3,653g, 112.9 x 15.5 metres
Triple expansion steam engine 12 Knots
14.12.1905 launched 3.1906 completed by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle on Tyne Yard No. 763 for Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd., London. 1914 sold to Standard Oil Co. (New Jersey) renamed CALORIA. 1947 B/U in USA.

EMPIRE KUDU (1940-1941)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 217612 6,262g, 120.5 x 16.8 metres
Steam turbine 11 Knots
2.2.1919 launched 3.1919 completed by Federal Shipbuilding Co., Kearney, New Jersey Yard No. 8 as DUQUESNE for United States Shipping Board. 1933 to Lykes Bros - Ripley SS Co, New Orleans. 1940 to Great Britain (MOWT) renamed EMPIRE KUDU (managed by Watts, Watts & Co., London), 26.9.1941 Ashore Belle Isle Strait, total loss.

EMPIRE HARTEBEESTE (1940-1942)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 216664 5,579g, 124.8 x 16.5 metres
Steam turbine 11 Knots
4.7.1918 launched 7.1918 completed by Skinner & Eddy Corp., Seattle Yard No. 1013 as WEST GAMBO for United States Shipping Board. 1933 to Lykes Bros - Ripley SS Co, New Orleans,1940 to Great Britain (MOWT) renamed EMPIRE HARTEBEESTE ( managed by Watts, Watts & Co, London), 20.9.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.596.

CANADIAN BRIDGE / BEDFORDSHIRE
Steel screw motorship IMO 7340980 65,135g, 858 x 133.9 feet
Oil engine 15.5 knots.
5.10.1974 launched 11.1974 completed by Harland & Wolff, Belfast Yard No. 1692 for the Britain Steamship Co., managed by Watts, Watts & Co. for the Seabridge Consortium. 1977 When she came off charter renamed BEDFORDSHIRE. 26.1.1978 laid up at Loch Strachan. 1978 sold to Shell Tankers (UK) Ltd of London renamed TECTUS and made her first sailing from the Clyde to Richards Bay, South Africa where she loaded a cargo of coal for Hamburg. She was never converted to carry oil. 1987 sold to the Philippine Transmarine Carriers Inc. of Manila renamed BOCITA. 1988 sold to Tianjin Ocean Shipping Co. of China (COSCO Tianjin) renamed SHOU AN HAI. 1995 B/U Nantong.


CHARTERED SHIPS

TWICKENHAM (1902)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 112412 4,221g 2,736n 360 x 48 feet
T 3 cyl by W. Allan & Co. Ltd, Sunderland.
11.1899 Completed by Short Brothers Ltd, Sunderland for British Maritime Trust Ltd (Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd, mgrs), London. 1902 Chartered to Britain Steamship Co. Ltd (Watts, Watts & Co. Ltd, mgrs), London renamed TWICKENHAM. 1902 Returned to B.M.T. renamed CEBRIANA. 1906 Sold to Agincourt S.S. Co. Ltd, London renamed DETTINGEN. 1912 Taken over by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd and chartered to Lamport & Holt. 1914 Renamed ALGERIANA. 1917 Sold to B.J. Sutherland, Newcastle. 21.9.1917 Wrecked at Cape Cantia.

WALSINGHAM (1955-1957)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 183760 3,343g, 363ft 1in 51ft 2in
4cyl diesel 2 S.C.S.A. Rowan-Doxford 12 knots
5.5.1949 launched 2,1950 completed by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co., Burntisland Yard No. 330 as SYCAMORE for Johnston-Warren Lines Ltd's Mediterranean services. 1955 chartered to Watts, Watts & Co. renamed WALSINGHAM. 1957 reverted to SYCAMORE. 1965 transferred to Prince Line Ltd and renamed MERCHANT PRINCE. 1968 sold to Kaldelion Shipping Co., Poseidon Shipping Agencies, renamed ELIAS L. 1973 sold to Maccomar Shipping Co., Limassol renamed JARA. 1975 sold to Melteco Navigation Ltd. renamed MELTEMI for operation by Fulmar Navigation Co. of Nicosia. 1977 sold to Green Spirit Inc. of Limassol renamed TEMI under the same management and on 10.5.1979 arrived Gadani Beach where she was broken up.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16th October 2010, 17:32
maritiem maritiem is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,159
Additions Britain SS Co.

SANDRINGHAM QUEEN (1955-1968)
Steel screw motorship
O.N. 186298 IMO 5311038 1,308gt
21.7.1955 launched, 9.1955 completed by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd., Goole Yard No. 499 for Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1972 sold to Catapola Shipping Co Ltd, Famagusta, Cyprus renamed BRIGHT SKY. 1976 sold to Lefktron Marine Co Ltd, Limassol renamed GREEK SKY. 1977 sold to Luxury Shipping Co. Ltd. 1.1983 B/U Ravenna.

OSBORNE QUEEN (1965-1968)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 187581 IMO 5265916 1,424gt
18.12.1956 launched, 5.1957 completed by Ardrossan Dockyard & Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Ardrossan Yard No. 423 for Queenship Nav. Ltd , London. 1965 sold to Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London. 1968 sold to Eskgarth Shipping Co. Ltd, London. 1972 sold to Nefeli Shipping Co Ltd, Famagusta, Cyprus renamed NEFELI. 5.11.1972 on fire and wrecked Dollar Cove, Land’s End.

PUTNEY / BALMORAL QUEEN (1965-1968)
Steel screw steamship O.N. 168594 IMO 5040304 1 423g, length 225 7/12' x breadth 36 7/12' x depth 15 9/12' (75.6 x 11.2 metres)
21.1.1954 launched 7.1954 completed by John Lewis, Aberdeen Yard No. 240 as RAMBLER ROSE for Hughes Holden Shipping Ltd., Swansea. 1961 sold to O.Dorey & Sons Ltd., Guernsey renamed BELVEDERE. 1965 purchased by Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed PUTNEY. 1965 renamed BALMORAL QUEEN. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1968 sold to Eskgarth Sg Co Ltd., London. 1969 sold to Elias S.Condos & others, Piraeus renamed SOLON. 1971 sold to Dimsa Cia Maritima SA, Piraeus renamed MALENA. 1972 sold to Fortuna Shipping Co Ltd., Famagusta. 1979 sold to Aristos Kaisis, Limassol renamed KAISIS I. 1980 B/U Limassol.

MORTLAKE (1965-1968)
Steel screw motorship O.N. 187479 IMO 5391947 1,036gt
5.9.1956 launched, 11.1956 completed by G. & H. Bodewes, Martenshoek Yard No. 423 as WINDSORBROOK for Williamstown Shipping Co Ltd (Wm.France, Fenwick & Co Ltd), London.1963 rename NORDGAS. 1964 renamed LOCKWOOD. 1965 sold to Britain Steamship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed MORTLAKE. 1966 renamed WINDSOR QUEEN. 1968 Bibby Bros. bought the Britain Steamship Co. 1969 sold to Rederibolaget Wallona, Mariehamn, Finland renamed WALLONA. 1971 sold to N. Dimitriadis & M. Kiosseglou, Chalkis, Greece renamed MAHI. 1978 sold to Crete Shipping Co Ltd renamed CRETE. 1984 to Kalliopi G. Chatzileni & G.A. Chatzilenis. 1985 renamed KRITI. 1985 sold to Siren Maritime Inc., San Lorenzo, Honduras renamed MIKE I. 1987 sold renamed POPI H. 1994 deleted from Register.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WATTS Watts - Greenwich. albertwebster Watts Watts & Co - Ships & History 40 22nd April 2014 09:48
M V Wendover (watts watts) howard james Watts Watts & Co - Ships & History 6 15th April 2014 09:19
Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963 richensj Watts Watts & Co - Ships & History 42 30th October 2012 18:14
MV Woolwich Watts Watts Co theaskew Ship Research 54 28th May 2012 22:47
Watts Watts & Co. Part 2 maritiem Watts Watts & Co - Ships & History 2 6th October 2010 06:11



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.