Wake up Bolton boys........ - Ships Nostalgia
08:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wake up Bolton boys........

Old 14th August 2010, 14:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Wake up Bolton boys........

Here is a kick start to your day (just managed to get my scanner configured)........

m.v. Reynolds circa late 70s. Cabin party in my cabin (2/E)

Who do you recognize...and do you see two people who really screwed up (literally).....

Looking forward to your replies.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reynolds Cabin Party 01.jpg (318.7 KB, 290 views)
Old 14th August 2010, 14:13

My location
So, which ship was this taken on?

I believe it was Christmas '78 and when a copy got back to Minories they went ape sh*t. Well, we thought it was funny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Father Rubens.jpg (308.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 14th August 2010, 14:38

My location
m.v. Rievaulx 1972

Guess what we were doing?

L -> R:

Donkey(?), J/E Trevor Kenny (in the hole), J/E Peter Beard (crouching), J/Lecky(?) (standing and working, unbelievable!), 4/E Lloyd "Big Lloyd" Housley.
Happy days......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rievaulx 70.jpg (177.9 KB, 178 views)
Old 15th August 2010, 10:12

after my time at Boltons will ask SAMMY SANVID when i see him//
Old 24th September 2010, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J. Huckin View Post
Here is a kick start to your day (just managed to get my scanner configured)........

m.v. Reynolds circa late 70s. Cabin party in my cabin (2/E)

Who do you recognize...and do you see two people who really screwed up (literally).....

Looking forward to your replies.

Ian
From full-face 9 o'clock, clockwise: Chief Eng: Sammy Sanvid, Mrs Aberwardnie? Prob 4th Eng: 'Sankie' Aberwardnie (ok, terrible spelling . . .), unknown, unknown, unknown Deck Cadet, sailed with him for a very short period, no name in my memory. Captain Parsloe, 3 other ladies, unknown. With so many ladies of board would this have been in UK/European waters/port, Ian?
Old 24th September 2010, 19:10

Quote:
So, which ship was this taken on?

I believe it was Christmas '78 and when a copy got back to Minories they went ape sh*t. Well, we thought it was funny.
MV Rubens . . . . . IIRC. Well, looks like a portrait of the artist Rubens
Old 24th September 2010, 19:14

Quote:
Guess what we were doing?

L -> R:

Donkey(?), J/E Trevor Kenny (in the hole), J/E Peter Beard (crouching), J/Lecky(?) (standing and working, unbelievable!), 4/E Lloyd "Big Lloyd" Housley.
Happy days......
Posing. While waiting for tea-break while 'doing' a unit (cylinder overhaul) on one of the Doxford engines ore carriers? A guess from me, as my time was after the ore carriers had gone, but I'm guessing a Doxford engine from the side connecting rods. Now, Ian isn't *that* old, so if this photo is in his collection, I'm guessing this must be it.

What's the prize, Ian?
Old 25th September 2010, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Pick View Post
From full-face 9 o'clock, clockwise: Chief Eng: Sammy Sanvid, Mrs Aberwardnie? Prob 4th Eng: 'Sankie' Aberwardnie (ok, terrible spelling . . .), unknown, unknown, unknown Deck Cadet, sailed with him for a very short period, no name in my memory. Captain Parsloe, 3 other ladies, unknown. With so many ladies of board would this have been in UK/European waters/port, Ian?
I sailed with Sankie on the Lin in 1985. One of the nicest chaps you'll ever meet. He met and married a girl who worked in the local dental clinic in Bridgeport if my memory serves me right.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:51

My location
Blanket reply to everybody that responded to the pictures....

The Doxford unit o/h was during my apprenticeship...yikes, when I think of all the things I've been up to since then (and still counting!!!!)

The picture was of the artist Rubens, we dressed him for Christmas...great party. The Co. got to see a copy of the picture and were not impressed.

The cabin party was in my cabin when I was 2/E, on the REYNOLDS of course, the partyingest ship ever...

O.K. here is who L -> R

Sammy Sandvid (C/E), Hiranthe Aberwaradene, Sanki Aberwaradene (3/E), Jane Avenin (wife of Richard Avenin C/O), Colin Hills (Bosun),
standing 2/O, sitting Alan (Cook), next to Jane is Mary (wife of 2/O), Captain Parsloe (Daisy) and Peggy Sandvid.

Can you possibly believe this ship is still sailing after 36 years!!!!!!!! I guess us engineers who built and sailed her must have done a pretty good job...plus the other lot kept her off the rocks!!!!
Old 27th August 2012, 15:16
Active: 1980 - 1990

Reynolds! -Ugh what a horrible ship as was Boltons !Cheap and Nasty springs to mind!!
Old 28th August 2012, 06:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1981

mv "Reynolds"

I beg to differ I spent three very enjoyable years with Bolton's, all trips on Reynolds.
Nice to see some old faces Ian.
Old 29th August 2012, 17:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemec2004 View Post
Reynolds! -Ugh what a horrible ship as was Boltons !Cheap and Nasty springs to mind!!
You are joking right???
Old 29th August 2012, 18:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bailey View Post
I beg to differ I spent three very enjoyable years with Bolton's, all trips on Reynolds.
Nice to see some old faces Ian.
Hey Terry, great to see another familiar name pop up. How are you doing??? Drop me a PM

Who is that bloke "marinemec2004" anyway? He was not at sea that long so I guess he was just inexperienced. Either that or he was not invited to any of the parties etc... In 26 years deep sea Bolton's rated right up there from the Management, to the ships and, especially, to the personnel, well MOST of them.
Old 29th August 2012, 23:44
Active: 1963 - 1967

Jeez Marienemec2004 that is a rugged call. I only had the one trip with Bolton's on Ribera, I thought in comparison to ships of that period they were top notch accommodation wise, food was OK too as were the conditions in general. Just too many Geordies (: though with them you don't stop laughing & she had plenty of that, laughter, across the crew too.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:45

Had two very happy trips on the Reynolds, she was a great ship, great crew, and as I was the babbling brook, the food was excellent and plenty of it.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:45

Although not an ex Bolton man,I do remember one day in 1966/67,Me and another deck apprentice were ashore in Corpus Christi,and met two girls.They were the daughters of the Old Man and the chief engineer of a Boltons ship(can't remember the name)moored astern of us(Gloxinia Stag Line).Did Boltons have a ship called Redcar,or was that where one of the girls lived?Our cook was murdered in Corpus Chisti,and the police questioned the crews of both ships.It was a local man who was charged.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu View Post
Although not an ex Bolton man,I do remember one day in 1966/67,Me and another deck apprentice were ashore in Corpus Christi,and met two girls.They were the daughters of the Old Man and the chief engineer of a Boltons ship(can't remember the name)moored astern of us(Gloxinia Stag Line).Did Boltons have a ship called Redcar,or was that where one of the girls lived?Our cook was murdered in Corpus Chisti,and the police questioned the crews of both ships.It was a local man who was charged.
Mr Kudu, Boltons did indeed have a Redcar. She was a 50s built 15,000 ton iron ore carrier on a 15 year charter to BISCO (British Iron and Steel Corp) I heard tales of that trip....I was on Rievaulx...
Old 4th September 2012, 22:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Batstone View Post
Had two very happy trips on the Reynolds, she was a great ship, great crew, and as I was the babbling brook, the food was excellent and plenty of it.
I remember fixing the radar gearbox on the Reynolds with parts from that Hobart Dough mixer just inside the door....my favorite ship...she was broken up in 2006. I stood by her building in 1974....not a bad life eh???
Old 4th September 2012, 22:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leratty View Post
Jeez Marienemec2004 that is a rugged call. I only had the one trip with Bolton's on Ribera, I thought in comparison to ships of that period they were top notch accommodation wise, food was OK too as were the conditions in general. Just too many Geordies (: though with them you don't stop laughing & she had plenty of that, laughter, across the crew too.
Remember any names? I got stuck on the ore carriers in the North Atlantic/Arctic Circle while my Geordie friends did all that Pacific and Indian Ocean stuff on the Ribera....she became the Benvorlich I believe....
Old 4th September 2012, 22:59

Quote:
I remember fixing the radar gearbox on the Reynolds with parts from that Hobart Dough mixer just inside the door....my favorite ship...she was broken up in 2006. I stood by her building in 1974....not a bad life eh???
Wondered why the cook before me made his rolls on the monkey island!!
Old 5th September 2012, 00:12

Nick the railing around the monkey island on Ribera used to vibrate really loudly you could hear it very clearly in the bridge when the ship reached a certain speed so he could have been using that to mix his doe (:
Old 5th September 2012, 15:35

My location
Quote:
Nick the railing around the monkey island on Ribera used to vibrate really loudly you could hear it very clearly in the bridge when the ship reached a certain speed so he could have been using that to mix his doe (:
Wondered why the cook before me made his rolls on the monkey island!!

If he was making rolls then the weather was probably beam on....!

Last edited by Ian J. Huckin : 5th September 2012 at 15:38.
Old 5th September 2012, 21:21

Quote:
There was a lot of vibrating on the Reynolds and Rubens as well, it took you a couple of weeks to stop shaking after you paid off.

There again that might have been due to the alcohol
Old 6th September 2012, 00:17

Ripper comment Nick & I thought it was just getting your shore legs back (:
Old 7th September 2012, 20:03

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Batstone View Post
There was a lot of vibrating on the Reynolds and Rubens as well, it took you a couple of weeks to stop shaking after you paid off.

There again that might have been due to the alcohol
I can assure you that Lin, Sharon and Madeleine were worse as far as engine induced shakes...I'm sure the 'R' boats were worse for drink induced shakes...SSM were pretty good for that too....