The RFA, RMAS, PAS?? - Ships Nostalgia
22:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The RFA, RMAS, PAS??

Old 30th November 2005, 16:18
Ex-Motorman

The RFA, RMAS, PAS??

Following on from a discussion in HERE.

During my time with the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service, and laterly Serco Denholm between 1991 and 2000 I had heard about the Port Auxiliary Service.

Are there any dates as to when PAS was perhaps disbanded and RMAS started? Would this be a time where Boom Defence and Mooring & Salvage vessels took on the buff and black colour scheme?

Also was the Typhoon an RFA? The sea going tugs that I know of, Roysterer, Rollicker and Robust being (ex)RMAS.

And here is a link to an ex PAS boat VIC 56. http://www.vic56.co.uk/detail.htm

Last edited by Hendo! : 30th November 2005 at 16:21. Reason: HIGHLIGHTING A LINK
Old 30th November 2005, 17:41
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hi Hendo,

I sailed RN 1976-1988. All the vessels you mention I have seen in my time. The answer to Typhoon is RMAS.

Regards
Hugh
Old 30th November 2005, 19:19
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:51am

Interesting because my Discharge Book actually quotes RFA for my time on them in the early 60\'s!!. I am familiar with the RMAS..but my recollection was that it applied to the Dockyard and associated vessels...not the seagoing vessels that I was on...could be it was changed after I went on to other things??..any thoughts??.
It certainly was the RFA tugs in my time that did the towing of naval vessels around the UK coast for refit or strategic reserve purposes, and overseas for that matter.
Cheers..

------------------------------
Doug

Hendo and Hugh,

Thanks for that confirmation. As I said before I only remember TYPHOON as being an RMAS vessel. However, as Doug says in his message, his discharge book entry refers to RFA. Did these big tugs change from RFA to RMAS in the mid to late 60s?
Old 30th November 2005, 20:48
Ex-Motorman

A quick Google later reveals this.
Quote:
There has been a need to supply the Fleet prior to sailing and on its return since the days of Pepys when all support functions were carried out by civilian manned organisations. The RMAS took shape over the last 30 years, initially by the amalgamation into the Port Auxiliary Services of various separate areas of waterborne activity formerly managed by Captains of Dockyards, Senior Victualling , Armament Supply and Naval Stores Officers. This was later followed by the amalgamation in 1975 of the then separate Services comprising Ocean Tugs, Admiralty Cable Ships and certain trials vessels into the RMAS.
From http://www.sd-dev.demon.co.uk/page3.html

So if RMAS started in 1975 perhaps Ocean Tugs such as Typhoon came under RFA until then, which could explain Dougs Discharge Book entry.

Boomers, I have a book called Argyll Shipwrecks which mentions a Boom Defence Vessel called HMS Barcombe which ran aground at Mull in January 1958. Any ideas when these vessels became civilian manned? Again perhaps 1975?
Old 30th November 2005, 21:55
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Guys,

In the original discussion about TYPHOON in the Gallery I remembered seeing these tugs in Gourock sporting two colour schemes. Latterly they have had black hulls and ochre superstructures. Prior to that they had black hulls and grey superstructures.
Doug, can you recall if the ships were black and grey when you sailed on them - that certainly seems a more likely colour scheme for RFA vessels.
Old 30th November 2005, 22:33
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Guys,

Here are a couple of sites that may help. The first has a pic.

http://www.clydeshipping.co.uk/viewa...er=Auxiliaries

http://www.nelmes.fsnet.co.uk/paxman/paxmanRN.htm
scroll down mid page for info on the RMAS Ships.

Hugh

even more pics or the RMAS Typoon here: http://www.tugtalk.co.uk/viewalbum.a...+and+Rollicker

Hugh

Last edited by Hugh MacLean : 30th November 2005 at 22:43.
Old 1st December 2005, 04:56

They (Ocean going tugs) were all black hulls and grey superstructure without any doubt...and certainly entitled RFA. The harbour tugs were black hull and yellow/ochre colouring..so my thought would be that changes took place some years after I left. Also, in hindsite, I guess that the reason for the Ocean going RFA tugs diminishing quite quickly was that the Navy started shrinking very quickly...and commercial salvage, well that looked after itself. I also recall that the dockyard vessels were always referred to as "RMAS" even in those days (early 60's)...interesting isnt it.
There is a picture of mine in the Gallery of the RFA Advice dropping a Destroyer conversion, she certainly has a grey superstructure but the hull is not so obvious...will see if I can dig out some old pictures of her.

Last edited by Doug Rogers : 1st December 2005 at 04:59.
Old 1st January 2006, 21:23
Old Sea Dog

Came across this list of RMAS vessels, sorry no date for it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rmaspennantlist.jpg (63.7 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by jbryce : 2nd January 2006 at 21:38.
Old 2nd January 2006, 21:40
Old Sea Dog

Managed, at last. The pic was to large, have reduced it to 600 pixels deep
Old 2nd January 2006, 22:10

For what its worth I came out yesterday with a little booklet entitled "Navy on Review 77" in which all tugs and harbour craft are entitled RMAS.
I would hypothesise that the change would have taken place long before that date, possibly 10/12 years before but I havent found anything in the slightest definitive to confirm that.
Cheers...
Old 3rd January 2006, 19:59
Old Sea Dog

A couple of sites with some more info:
http://www.sd-dev.demon.co.uk/page3.html
and
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/gb-rfas.html
Old 4th January 2006, 04:06

Thanks for details of those two sites, interesting, will have to try and do a little more digging when time permits!!.
Old 13th January 2006, 22:16
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Deck
Active: 1984 - Present

Do any of you well learned chaps know what happened to RMAS Auricula (Test and Experimental Sonar Tender) she was built by Ferguson Brothers in the Early 1980's, and was sold in mid 1990's and stationed at Portland. My Father Tony Straw was Able seaman for the whole time she was under the Anchor and 2 wavy lines. I did hear that she was unstable and sold for scrap, can anyone confirm this? Thanks Andy
Old 14th January 2006, 00:34
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Andy,

RMAS Auricula is still going strong.

She changed her name to Lowland Searcher in 1995 and again to Teknik Putra in 1997 (Panamanian Flag). She is now listed as a Research/Survey tender.

Have a look at this link

http://www.crest.com.my/Contents/Spe...knik_Putra.htm

Last edited by Gulpers : 14th January 2006 at 00:46.
Old 14th January 2006, 16:00

Gulpers, you are a star. Thanks everso for the info! Down the bar for a wee Dram?
Old 14th January 2006, 16:55
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
My pleasure Strawberry.
Old 8th February 2006, 18:16

Ocean going tugs and salvage vessels were once a separate section of the RFA managed by the Director of Dockyards as opposed to the main section managed by the Director of Stores (later Fuel,Movements and Transport).
PAS became RMAS which is now much reduced with most harbour craft under commercial management. Cant recall any dates but will try to find them.
Old 8th February 2006, 18:36

I hope the following extract from the Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service Association, Devonport website will provide the answers you have all been eagerly awaiting:-

"[[color=Red]The RMAS took shape over the last 30 years, initially by the amalgamation into the Port Auxiliary Services of various separate areas of waterborne activity formerly managed by Captains of Dockyards, Senior Victualling , Armament Supply and Naval Stores Officers. This was later followed by the amalgamation in 1975 of the then separate Services comprising Ocean Tugs, Admiralty Cable Ships and certain trials vessels into the RMAS.

In August of 1996 the running of the majority of the RMAS vessels were awarded to Serco Denholm Ltd under a Government Owned/Commercially Operated (GOCO) contract. The RMAS remains in operation today running only the trials ship RMAS Newton and the various Mooring and Salvage vessels. All harbour tugs, passenger carrying vessels and barges are operated by Serco Denholm. The RMAS also have the Naval Armament Vessel (NAV) KINTERBURY which is being kept very busy transporting cargo throughout Europe. Up in Kyle of Loch Alsh the RMAS operates vessels which are there to support the range at Raasay and personnel based on Rona.

Serco Denholm operate in Devonport (and Falmouth), Portsmouth and Greenock/Faslane."
Old 9th February 2006, 22:31
Ex-Motorman

Many thanks to those who replied!
Old 9th February 2006, 22:35
Ex-Motorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRAWBERRY
Do any of you well learned chaps know what happened to RMAS Auricula (Test and Experimental Sonar Tender) she was built by Ferguson Brothers in the Early 1980's, and was sold in mid 1990's and stationed at Portland. My Father Tony Straw was Able seaman for the whole time she was under the Anchor and 2 wavy lines. I did hear that she was unstable and sold for scrap, can anyone confirm this? Thanks Andy

I think I may have been invloved in either a water replenishment job with RMAS Waterspout or a fuelling job with RMAS Oilpress for RMAS Auricula at Loch Long in the early - mid 90s.
Old 10th February 2006, 17:24

Yes Hendo, you did. My Dad Tony was A.B (He was also on the crew of the Waterman when Waterspout was changed over in Portland. He transferred to the waterspout when Waterman sailed to Scotland. Were you crew then Hendo?
Old 10th February 2006, 20:23
Ex-Motorman

When Waterman arrived at Greenock I was on the Torpedo Recovery Vessels, probably Tormentor at the time.
Old 21st May 2006, 10:52

My location
RMAS Water Carriers

Now online

RMAS Water Carriers
WATERSPOUT, WATERCOURSE,
WATERFOWL, WATERMAN,
WATERFALL, WATERSHED, WATERSIDE

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...ecwll/rmas.htm

If anyone can add or correct any information,
I would be very grateful.

Best Wishes
Raymond
Old 15th September 2006, 13:21

Pas

You should talk to the RMAS association in Devonport they will have what you need to know
Old 15th September 2006, 21:27

My location
In the 60's the large tugs were definately RFA. On one particular occasion I was putting stores for an RN towing crew onto a Coastal Minesweeper that had been laid up in Gibraltar. The CMS was at that time berthed outboard of an RFA tug ready to be towed back to the UK. Halfway through the storing, when I had several boxes on the tug's deck, I was confronted by a very red faced gentleman wearing four gold stripes on his shoulder boards, who had clearly had more than his fair share of the amber nectar. I was told in no uncertain terms to get my ?**$% boxes of his !**&&&%%% deck or I would find myself ending up in the %%%^^%!! oggin very quickly indeed. The RFA lads in earshot were clearly very embarrased over what occured and once the said gentleman had departed and the boxes were on the CMS, I found myself invited to the ship's bar - can't remember much more after that only that a good night was had by all!
Peter4447