Ships Nostalgia banner

Sidewheeler Tugs

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  senior pilot 
#1 ·
I remember standing on the foreshore in Torpoint, watching the tugs jostling Ark Royal (which I still regard as the 'real' Ark Royal) and other carriers being tended by sidewheeler tugs. But need help with the names.
Anyone help, or know what happened to them? Was one called ...Powerful?

#2 ·
Nick, Are these Royal Navy Paddle Tugs you are thinking of?
The information is from the Paxman History Pages; all seven tugs were diesel electric with Paxman diesels:
Seven paddle tugs built for the Royal Navy, with the main role of providing berthing assistance to aircraft carriers. The very wide beam over the paddles allowed the tugs to tuck under the protruding flightdecks of carriers without catching their funnels. Dexterous, Director, Faithful and Forceful were built by Yarrow Shipbuilders at Scotstoun in 1957. Griper and Grinder were built by William Simons & Co at Renfrew in 1958. Favourite was built by Ferguson Brothers of Port Glasgow and launched on 1st July 1958. She was scrapped in 1980.
LOA 157', breadth 60', draught 10', 473 grt.
Engines: Four 12YHAXZ per vessel, each with a 24 hour rating of 585 bhp at 1,000 rpm. The engines for Favourite were ordered in January 1956 and despatched in December 1957.
Electrical Machinery: Each engine coupled to a 340kW generator. Two 600 volt DC propulsion motors per vessel, each producing 800 bhp at 212 rpm. The electrical machinery and control gear were manufactured by British Thomson-Houston.

Alex

#11 ·
info i have from bill hannan's book DEXTEROUS sold24/11/81to desquaces del guadadquiver , seville spain
DIRECTOR18 12 79 sold towed from rosyth 15/5/80 brken up at Gijon spain
FAITHFUL12/4/83 towed by robust to gib 21/4/83 sunk as target by ALARCITY,BATTLEAXE,& BRAZEN
FAVOURITE 11/1 80 BROKEN UP GIJON SPAIN
FORCEFUL 10/11/81 TRANSFERRED TO DNAW AS A MISSILE TARGET AT ABERPORTH RANGE
GRINDER 3/3/80BROKEN UP GIJON SPAIN
GRIPER 29/2/80 BROKEN UP GIJON SPAIN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.