Heavy Weather Damage - Ships Nostalgia
08:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Heavy Weather Damage

Old 3rd February 2011, 23:10
Active: 1969 - 1973

Heavy Weather Damage

Ey'up you Bank Liners(it,s all gone quiet)I was telling a tale today about the damage we used to get from the sea or minor collisions and how the plating was in shreds.Now,the bloke I was telling it to is disbelieving, as he is a steel erector shoreside and I know that the repairs on Bank Line ships were exceedingly fast and always watertight wherever we were.
So big thanks to those who affected the repairs whoever they are.
Old 4th February 2011, 04:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

All Quiet on the Bank Line Front.....

Storm damages to ships was a regular occurrence on newish ships as well as old. My biggest job was to install a cement box over a cement box in No.1 DB on "Laganbank" after severe and continuous forward pounding in the Atlantic on light ship passage between Britain and the Gulf. I bet it was still there when she was sold!

Another notable repair was to a vertical crack that suddently appeared on the port side shell plating of the "Inchanga". The old lady was 26 years' old at the time and sweat had accumulated behind the DB sounding pipe that ran down the inside of the hull just forward of the bulkhead at the after end of No.1 hatch. Years of sweating and moisture accumulation and not enough paint as the pipe was hard up against the shell plating and the plating split open to the sea along the line of the pipe. A good reason to ensure future sounding pipes and drains are raised from their nearby bulkhead!

The repair was done in Colombo with the ship ballasted to raise the bow and list to starboard. Poor "Inchanga"! She looked almost abandoned during the several days the repair took for completion. The Bay of Bengal can be pretty treacherous at certain times of the year.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
FIRBANK, 1961. Clouted the railway iron fender in Trincomalee (pilot, queens harbourmaster, general nabob in destroyer mode, Captain Betts in head pulling-off mode). Big dent, lots of pani in hold. We spent days shifting bales of jute over, listed the ship ( or is it heeled), drilled out popped rivets and put in bolts with leather washers as per Reeds Seamanship. It worked and we were given the OK til next drydocking. Bloody hard work though.