Prince Line - Ships Nostalgia
08:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Prince Line

Old 5th December 2005, 23:41
Robinj Robinj is offline   SN Supporter

Prince Line

I sailed on the Norman Prince about 1962 from Manchester to the Med and back mainly carrying fruit, Also on the Lancastrian Prince in 1967 from London to the East coast of South America with a cargo of ammunition .
Old 9th February 2009, 22:30

I just found your connection with the Lancastrian Prince,which was my last Deep Sea vessel.
I had been with Furness since starting as an aprentice in 1959 and after getting married in 1968 joined the Lancastrian Prince in Sept of that year as 2/0.
She was trading to the Spanish Main and US Gulf Ports,and the trip before I joined had been diverted into Miami by US Coastguard with a suspected bomb attached to her bilge keel.It was discovered that there had indeed been something but it had fallen off on passage.The Coastguard had ben unable to contact the ship when they first got the information as "Sparkie" was off watch and he got the message on cranking up the next morning.
While in UK we had an R/T fitted in the wheelhouse so that the watch keeping officers could listen out during the R/O off watch periods.We also had divers doing a search of the hull before leaving the last US Gulf Port.Anti Castro people were suspected and British Ships were targeted as GB was trading with Cuba.
In my time Capt.Marshall,Ken Swinbourne c/o Robin Gray 2/0 sorry can't remember the others.
Old 11th February 2009, 13:15

Smile

Hi Capt. Bob, I did a couple of stints on the Lancastrain Prince, but my last one finished Dec. 1967. No R/T at that time. Robin
Old 15th February 2009, 03:36

Prince Line

Hi RobinJ & Capt.Bob:
I joined Furness Withy's "Newfoundland" Jan.1956 and finished my time on the Queen and Monarch. I did three trips as 3rd Mate on the "Norman Prince" - very nice - she was a great little ship. Also spent quite a bit of time on the "Beechmore" before she became the "English Prince"
Old 15th February 2009, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavidson View Post
Hi RobinJ & Capt.Bob:
I joined Furness Withy's "Newfoundland" Jan.1956 and finished my time on the Queen and Monarch. I did three trips as 3rd Mate on the "Norman Prince" - very nice - she was a great little ship. Also spent quite a bit of time on the "Beechmore" before she became the "English Prince"
Hi, As stated in the thread about the band, I sailed as R/O on the Norman Prince July/62 to Sept/62.
Old 6th July 2009, 20:25

Scottish Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinj View Post
I sailed on the Norman Prince about 1962 from Manchester to the Med and back mainly carrying fruit, Also on the Lancastrian Prince in 1967 from London to the East coast of South America with a cargo of ammunition .
My first ship in 1959 was the Scottish Prince which I joined outside the lock gates at Middlesborough. I was asked if I was going ashore in the evening and as i was not was told it was my night on board, i did not have a clue what that meant. Anyway in the early ohurs of the morning the vessel berthed and about 6am i was awoken bt the C/E who said there was a problem on board. I put on my sparkling white boiler suit and went on deck to join the other engineers and donkeymen to hand carry dunnage down into the engine room and put same in the oil fired boiler. The D/M on duty had changed over the fuel tank and unfortunately the quick closing valve was not latched back, the D/M must have left the engine room and over time the boiler ran out of fuel and steam for the steam DC generator. The hand operated fuel pump was inoperable so we had to resort to putting wood into the furnace to raise sufficient steam to get systems running. Talk about a baptism. Next vessel was the English Prince, which was laid up in the River Blackwater, this was built in 1943 for "one" trip and was still going 16 years later, 3 legged Doxford. Accomodation was terrible, overrun with cockroaches, no mechanical ventilation. Loaded at several ports for discharge at Colombo where we stayed for over 4 months. The port motor lifeboat, wooden hull, was wrecked due to several crew members taking it out of the harbor for a trip to a beach. The boat ran ashore on a very rocky beach and the wooden hull was broken off. Subsequently the boat was retrieved and repaired. Joined the Mystic and did two voyages to NZ, great times down there. Joined the Tudor Prince new from Doxfords, fitted with the "P" type engine, what a disaster, suffered major breakdown going round the Horn of Africa, one side bottom end broken into two pieces and further nine found with major cracks. did temporary repairs and limped back into Aden where a full set of new, hugely modified, side rod bearings were installed. Joe Wandless was C/E, Dick Stuart was 3/E, cant remenber the 2/E full name but he was Allan ???? (also ex Mystic). Got my 2/E licence and sailed on the Cyprian Prince with Charlie Storrier as C/E. Left Prince Line in 1963 and joined Elder Dempster
Old 7th July 2009, 05:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Hi Ian: We were shipmates, I was Nav Cadet on the "Tudor Prince" on her maiden voyage having transferred from the "Cyprian Prince". What a workhorse she was and the punishment run, Abadan to Cochin, Madras and Budge Budge didn't help.

I think the old man was Captain Kent but not sure. Bob? Ditchburne was C/O and Mike Smith was 2/O. Mike was tragically lost at sea in 1981 when, as a Pilot he was boarding a tanker in the Strait of Canso in a storm.

The officers salon steward was Ivan the tranny, used to dress to the nines to go ashore to the Seaman's Club in the Abadan refinery while we were more interested in the Brit and American refinery employees daughters. I think his quests were more successful than ours,

I thought we had the new "J" type Doxford installed but what would I know as a Deck Whalla!

I look at the bright side of things, if that fine example of British engineering hadn't gone kaput, we would have ended up with two years on that lousy run.

Last edited by Keltic Star : 7th July 2009 at 05:35.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
Hi Ian: We were shipmates, I was Nav Cadet on the "Tudor Prince" on her maiden voyage having transferred from the "Cyprian Prince". What a workhorse she was and the punishment run, Abadan to Cochin, Madras and Budge Budge didn't help.

I think the old man was Captain Kent but not sure. Bob? Ditchburne was C/O and Mike Smith was 2/O. Mike was tragically lost at sea in 1981 when, as a Pilot he was boarding a tanker in the Strait of Canso in a storm.

The officers salon steward was Ivan the tranny, used to dress to the nines to go ashore to the Seaman's Club in the Abadan refinery while we were more interested in the Brit and American refinery employees daughters. I think his quests were more successful than ours,

I thought we had the new "J" type Doxford installed but what would I know as a Deck Whalla!

I look at the bright side of things, if that fine example of British engineering hadn't gone kaput, we would have ended up with two years on that lousy run.
You are correct it was a "J" type, this was the forerunner to the "P" type and only a few were built, in fact the Tudor Prince was the first British vessel with this engine. The "J" & "P" refer to the name, Percy Jackson, the Design Director at Doxfords who was the brains behind the new development. The Stuart prince was fitted with the "P" type. Als remember the Sherry Lee was one of the engine cadets and the other was nicknamed "Why" as every time you gave him a job he always said "Why". As you say it was a terrible run, we might have had better ports if the breakdown had not occurred.
Happy days and many memories some good and some not so good.

Cheers
Old 7th July 2009, 15:41

Dear RobinJ,
I have a photo of ms Lancastrian Prince. Will try to represent it in a Gallery.
I bough this photo several days ago in one of local shops and have no time to renovate it yet. Could I ask You to advise i-net resourse where I can read
more about Prince Line. Many thanks.
Best regards from Russia,
Andrey
Old 8th July 2009, 00:38

Spent a few years with Furness,Withy in the mid '50s including flying to Mombasa to join s.s.Brazilian Prince for a year on the run South and East Africa to Australia and New Zealand. A good ship, ex Canadian "Park", with British officers, Zulu crew, South African Indian catering staff. I was 2nd Engineer and she became my favourite ship. Have just had my oil painting of the ship posted in the "art" section.
Bill Hay
Old 9th July 2009, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Nelogov View Post
Dear RobinJ,
I have a photo of ms Lancastrian Prince. Will try to represent it in a Gallery.
I bough this photo several days ago in one of local shops and have no time to renovate it yet. Could I ask You to advise i-net resourse where I can read
more about Prince Line. Many thanks.
Best regards from Russia,
Andrey
Hi Andrey, Many thanks for the photograph you have posted although it is an earlier ship than the one I sailed. If I remember correctly if you go to the Red Duster website there is a thread on Prince line. Regards Robinj
Old 14th August 2009, 20:47

Guys I was never on the Tankers but Black and Southern Princes then the Rowanmore. I thought it was the P Type and the Stuart was the "normal" version. The first J Type as I recall went onto the North Sands which after a crankcase explosion took the life of the 2/E who was ex Furness. He was from the Glasgow and had a run in with the Chief "Dick the S**t" whose true identity escapes me
Old 14th August 2009, 22:11

Prince Line

I'm glad to see some Old Prince Line hands have come out of the woodwork.What about the Furness men, time to hear from them.
By the way, we have the "Tall Ships" here in Belfast until Sunday 16th.
Not many Red Ensigns among them.The whole thing seems to have been taken over by the "Yachties"
Bob

Last edited by CAPT.BOB : 14th August 2009 at 22:14.
Old 15th August 2009, 08:01

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT.BOB View Post
I'm glad to see some Old Prince Line hands have come out of the woodwork.What about the Furness men, time to hear from them.
By the way, we have the "Tall Ships" here in Belfast until Sunday 16th.
Not many Red Ensigns among them.The whole thing seems to have been taken over by the "Yachties"
Bob
Hi Bob: Not sure if any of us knew whether we were Prince Line or Furness. My Indentures read Furness Withy & Co but the only Furness ship I sailed in was the Sycamore, all others were Prince Line and the last was the Western Prince which was more aligned to Manchester Liners. I guess we were meant to be one big happy family but I have a feeling the lads on the Pacific --- class seemed to think they were the true blue Furness men, hopefully not in an incestuous way!!

As for the tall ships, we saw them off a couple of weeks ago on their way over to you and I fully agree that with the exception of the few National ships, the yellow wellies have taken over through ASTA (American Sail Training Association). I did an extended six month "delivery" on one a few years back and my crew were a group of wayward lads and lasses trying to find themselves! I must admit though, it was a lot of fun and one of the kid's is now 2/E with Stolt Nielson and a young lady is doing her Articles prior to being called to the Bar in London.

Last edited by Keltic Star : 15th August 2009 at 08:03.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:49

Hi Should I call you keltic or star,
Where are you living now?I take it somewhere in Canada.
I was in the States earlier this year and met Jim McIntyre in "Intercourse"Penn for lunch.I'd never sailed with him and had made contact through this site.I've also managed to catch up with Danny Milliken after 40yrs.since we sailed on the Scottish Prince with Chick Allison, who he tells me is now dead.
Here in N.Ireland among my friends and aquaintances I list Terry Griffiths,Ivan Davidson and George Crowe who joined Furness a few years after me.
I was with them from 1959-69.
I look forward to hearing more from you,
Bob
Old 16th August 2009, 07:49

My location
Just call me Bob, Keltic Star is the company, for the life of me, don't know why I picked it as my ID when I joined SN.
Live in Halifax, NS now, which of course was a big Furness port in days gone by. When I first came ashore in Montreal, worked with several of the Furness shore supers but eventually they retired and I moved on to Toronto and then the east coast so lost touch with them. Used Furness shore staff in London to do an inventory on a cruise ship in Germany back in 1977 and regularly used Furness Trinidad as agents when I had reefer ships down there, Jack Lawlor, ex Furness Pacific---? master was the Manager at the time. Also used Furness Holder for marine insurance for many years, just because of old loyalties to the company that gave me the chance to go to sea in the first place.

No recent contacts with Furness/Prince Line guy's except through SN.

Cheers

Bob
Old 7th December 2009, 20:34

My location
My indentures are Prince Line,buttons badge and flag.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT.BOB View Post
I just found your connection with the Lancastrian Prince,which was my last Deep Sea vessel.
I had been with Furness since starting as an aprentice in 1959 and after getting married in 1968 joined the Lancastrian Prince in Sept of that year as 2/0.
She was trading to the Spanish Main and US Gulf Ports,and the trip before I joined had been diverted into Miami by US Coastguard with a suspected bomb attached to her bilge keel.It was discovered that there had indeed been something but it had fallen off on passage.The Coastguard had ben unable to contact the ship when they first got the information as "Sparkie" was off watch and he got the message on cranking up the next morning.
While in UK we had an R/T fitted in the wheelhouse so that the watch keeping officers could listen out during the R/O off watch periods.We also had divers doing a search of the hull before leaving the last US Gulf Port.Anti Castro people were suspected and British Ships were targeted as GB was trading with Cuba.
In my time Capt.Marshall,Ken Swinbourne c/o Robin Gray 2/0 sorry can't remember the others.
Remember this incident well. It was said it was a limpet mine attached to the hull. I think I may have been the last crew man on the Black Prince, had to connect shore power to switch gear. Many ships laid up in River Falmouth at that time.
Old 6th July 2010, 02:58

I too was a Prince line apprentice, buttons, badge and all, the "Black Price" was my first ship, Capt Kemp, who was usually well oiled, a gordie I believe, and c/o Parrish who was actually married to a vicars daughter, the rest is all rather hazey now, loved Malta but hated Haifa.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vincent View Post
I too was a Prince line apprentice, buttons, badge and all, the "Black Price" was my first ship, Capt Kemp, who was usually well oiled, a gordie I believe, and c/o Parrish who was actually married to a vicars daughter, the rest is all rather hazey now, loved Malta but hated Haifa.
.....Parrish was c/o on the Sycamore on my first trip to sea. Now, finding out he was married to a Vicars daughter explains why he was pi--ed off when two of his first trip cadets got lucky in Famagusta.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:47

Keltic Star. I honestly thought all c/o's were never smiled being with Parrish, he certainly did not like cadets that's for sure. I still have my cadet journel with his snide comments. As Falmouth was my home port I was pi'ed that my first foreign port as a cadet was Fowey to load china clay for Haifa. He would not let me go ashore in case I ran away. Sad also as I saw the Prince boats come into Falmouth as have their funnels painted out and handed over to their new owners, the end of an good company.
Old 7th July 2010, 04:15

My location
Quote:
Keltic Star. I honestly thought all c/o's were never smiled being with Parrish, he certainly did not like cadets that's for sure. I still have my cadet journel with his snide comments. As Falmouth was my home port I was pi'ed that my first foreign port as a cadet was Fowey to load china clay for Haifa. He would not let me go ashore in case I ran away. Sad also as I saw the Prince boats come into Falmouth as have their funnels painted out and handed over to their new owners, the end of an good company.
It was certainly a great company and almost all their ships I sailed on were very happy ships. From my experience, Parrish was an exception in the fleet.
Old 7th July 2010, 04:37

Keltic Star. I thought I had seen the last of him after my first trip, no way, he turned up when I was third mate on the "Royston Grange" as the super in the Royal docks for the Furness Gruop ships, still the same stoney face. Your right even the "Black Prince" was happy but the best were the three hatch boats out of Manchester, I heard them called coffin ships because that was the only way you could get a job was when someone died
Old 8th July 2010, 05:27

My location
Quote:
Keltic Star. I thought I had seen the last of him after my first trip, no way, he turned up when I was third mate on the "Royston Grange" as the super in the Royal docks for the Furness Gruop ships, still the same stoney face.

Your right even the "Black Prince" was happy but the best were the three hatch boats out of Manchester, I heard them called coffin ships because that was the only way you could get a job was when someone died
Fortunately I never came across Parrish again after my first trip. I was on two of the Manchester three hatchers, Northumbrian and Cyprian, the smartest yachts in the Med.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:12

Reading this thread I wonder if any of you were on this trip: My 2rd trip to sea was on the Tudor Prince Jan 9th/62 under Capt Kent , I always thought it was the maiden voyage but reading the thread I realize I am wrong. I was 17 and my job was galleyboy. Not the best job in the world(peeling spuds, some times by hand when the Hobart broke down) but I enjoyed the ship and the fact that I was at sea. We sailed from I.of Grain to Aruba then back to Hamburg and Rotterdam, then to everyones disappointment except mine we sailed for the Persian Gulf. We arrived in Abadan where my colleague !!! the pantryboy had a boxing match with a steward on the dockside at mid-day temp 126f !! How stupid can one be.
We left the Gulf and sailed for New Zealand by the time we arrived we were running seriously short of everything in the food line. We called at Bluff, Littteton, Dunedin, New Plymouth etc and then sailed for Australia Freemantle. On arriving there the Chief cook "Windy" was sent home with with some serious illness, Archie the 2rd cook and baker moved to CC and myself moved into Archie position, and we share the CC wages !! We left Auss and I believe we were then on our way back to NZ when we broke down on the Barrier Reef (not sure what the course must have been to be there) I think for the next 2-3 weeks the engineers worked trying to get us going, we would move some distance and then stop again for a few more days. During this time it was considered a good idea to fish for sharks. I think we hooked 3 but they got away !! What the hell would we have done if they had been landed. My job was to provide the liver blood. We eventually limped into Singapore where we spent 3 weeks replacing something in the engines!! During that time a new CC was sent out frm the UK so a galleyboy I went back to.
We eventually sailed back to the Gulf and returned to UK after a voyage of 7 months, I paid off with 108pounds more than what I had every had. I then joined the Pacific Envoy for 3 trips to N.America, and left the sea in 65. I have fond memories of Furness Withy especially sitting outside the galley peeling veg and being watched by albatross which glided alongside for hours and days at a time. After a great career in computing and now retired it is great looking back with no regrets even "peeling spuds" they make lovely stories to tell.
Pete