International Marine Radio Company - Ships Nostalgia
20:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

International Marine Radio Company

Old 7th March 2011, 23:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1992

Smile International Marine Radio Company

This was one of the best companies I was ever employed by, certainly big change from Marconi as far as 'personal touch' went.

I was with them from Sept 1970 to April 1974 - first ship 'Texaco Ghent' and last ship 'Orduna'; virtually all ships I was one were virtually new and equipped with ST1400 (1500W ssb Tx) - big change from Oceanspans/Reliance Tx's.

Any more IMR R/O's out there ? Must be a few still kicking.

Any ideas when George Todd 'crossed the bar' ? He was one of the best.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:53
Active: 1951 - 1962

Hello,
Altho a Siemens R/O I had the pleasure of working with IMR equipment on the 'Stanvac South Africa' a new build at Mitsubishi Nagasaki - I was there for 3 months while the gear was being installed (the first build 'Stanvac Japan' had an engine explosion on her maiden voyage at Singapore - hence the caution).
The Japanese wouldn't release the technical handbooks until the day of maiden voyage departure and then they were photocopies!
Great equipment - lots of power!!

Best wishes,

BOB
Old 28th March 2011, 23:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman1969 View Post
This was one of the best companies I was ever employed by, certainly big change from Marconi as far as 'personal touch' went.

I was with them from Sept 1970 to April 1974 - first ship 'Texaco Ghent' and last ship 'Orduna'; virtually all ships I was one were virtually new and equipped with ST1400 (1500W ssb Tx) - big change from Oceanspans/Reliance Tx's.

I was with IMRC 1958-62 having had 3 years with Marconi with very little leave between trips. The 7 trips down to BA on Blue Star 7 Weeks, gave me 2 weeks leave which was good news as by then i had something to come home for. The only trouble was the main TX, a lot of background noise from the motor/alternator situated beneath the TX, so much so on HF i had to powerdown between transmitting so i could hear GKA and others. Still enjoyed the time with them. Harry
Old 6th February 2012, 16:55
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2013

Hi. I'm ex IMRC. Went to sea with Siemens Bros/AEI/Marconi. Same company changing names. Couldn't stomach Marconi so moved to GKL/GNF for a year. Then back to sea with IMRC in 1966 and went through all the changes of name till finally being made redundant after 27 years. Final 19 years was with the Geest Line. Was second to last R/O to leave. From there it was back to college to get my brains blown out and come back to sea as a Mate. Still at sea but now as a Mate/S.D.P.O. in the offshore industry. There is a IMR/STC association going. If you like will let you have details when I get home. Malcolm
Old 6th February 2012, 19:44

Me also- ex IMR that is! Must have been about 1967 for a few years, I had a great time, usual stint - Orepton (MD??)to learn - Carinthia (GVDQ) to build up experience, (what a life, loved every minute, not always following company policy I don't think), the Volnay as a brand newie. However, the money freelancing was too much of a temptation, and I think back at how lucky we mere boys were at being able to make a telephone call or two, and back came the telegram "join such and such" on double or more the money.
George was looking after us then, I thought he was a good guy. Also a ladies man, dontcha know!? He absolutely charmed my mum on the fone when he was lining up some old crock of a ship, she thought I would be joining the QE2. (Not really, the old crock that is, but she knew her boy would be in safe hands). Courses were good, ships were good, and when I talked to the guys in MIMCO and heard stories of the callsigns at the depots I knew I had made the right choice. So raise your glasses to George Todd all you freshers!! 73's - Hugh
Old 6th February 2012, 19:54

I was with IMRC for my 13 years at sea, 1974-1987.
Great company to work for, never had any problems with them.
Good gear (apart from the odd old ship that they had inherited)
I'm also in touch with Don MacRae, who worked with them for many years, right through to the end.
Old 12th February 2012, 09:18

I spent my whole sea career with IMRC from 1976 to 1987, good company, Dave Wardley was the manager at Croydon and also when they moved to Commonside East at Mitcham.
Old 14th February 2012, 16:33
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Assembled multitude !

I just added a scan of the pic taken of some of the HQ staff (inc Dave Wardley) not long after the move from Peall Road, Croydon, to Commonside East, Mitcham, sometime in late 1978 or more likely early/mid 1979.

If you recopgnise any names, please add them.

The pic is here : http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...7897&nocache=1
Old 21st February 2012, 22:30
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Round about 1960 ish....some of the Houlder Bros. small ore carriers had their IMRC equipment removed...I was on Ayresome Wharf on the Tees when the engineer asked if anyone wanted a marine radio.
So we became the owners of an IMR72 which I carted all over the UK when I moved ports........I later gave it to a neighbour whose son was going to sea with Marconi!

geoff
Old 8th March 2012, 12:11
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1961 - 1996

I'm ex-GTZR..

After getting my 1st Class PMG from the Watt in Greenock, I joined IMR in 1960. First trip was 3rd R/O on the Cunarder RMS Media/GSWR on the Liverpool to New York run. After 4 months I joined a one man band, mv Lancastrian Prince/GHBC on the Medi run. Then I was sent tramping on the Geordie mv Essex Trader/MYFT for a year. My last ship with IMR was Blue Star's ss Brasil Star/GTLF with 75 pax. The R/O's cabin was a sweat box with no ports about 5 decks below the radio room. I hated it I remember the main transmitter on there had a great clunking keying relay which had a delay when you pressed the key, very disconcerting! I had bought a Vibroplex bug key in New York on my first ship and found I could not use it on the Brasil Star due to that damn relay - it just would not follow on "dots"!

I left IMR in 1963 on wages of 32 quid a month to go freelance. My first foreign ship was under Norwegian flag, m/t Jagala/LACY and my wages shot up to 112 a month. I remember I went to the Norwegian Shipping Office in Liverpool and was given a choice of 3 ships - it was almost summer and all the Norwegian R/O's wanted to be home at that time of year! The gear on the Jagala was amazing too with a high power transmitter so no problem to work LGB from anywhere in the world. I never went back to British ships after that.

One other thing I recall, when I gave my notice to IMR I got a letter from the ROU telling me about the desperate employment situation and asking me to reconsider. When I told them my mind was made up I got another letter from them a few days later offering to find me employment on foreign flag ships! I used them later on and they always came up with something pretty fast - usually Greek owned liberty ships and other rust buckets at that period - but what a time we had on them. A month in port was a quick turnaround
Old 5th April 2012, 20:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1962

Hi, You must have joined Brasil Star after me. The R/O cabin was below decks but did have a port hole. Must have changed along the way. Cheers, Harry
Old 5th April 2012, 23:25
Active: 1956 - 1970

Hi, Landoburns,interesting that you were on the Media for your first trip,I was on the Parthia GSWQ in 1956 as 3rd RO,but I was working for Marconi. I thought it a very pleasant introduction to seafaring.
Old 6th April 2012, 00:40
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Old Member
Active: 1971 - 2011

I thought crew accommodation regulations on a Gxxx vessel guaranteed natural light. Passengers could be carried any way one liked. Perhaps I am showing my youth.
Old 30th April 2012, 00:17
Active: 1966 - 1971

Quote:

Hello,
I joined IMR in March 1967. Most of the staff at Riversdale Tech were ex-IMR so there was a pretty good pipeline into the Liverpool office.
I went through 3 CR/Os during my 6 month training and when I was ready to get my own ship, was transferred to the original QE in Southampton.
Rather than take a transfer to a freighter on a Pacific run in 1968 I jumped ship to Cunard Brock and joined the Franconia in NY on the weekly Bermuda run. Transferred to the new QE2 in John Brown's Greenock yard and stayed with her until I came ashore after marrying a NY gal that I met on the Franconia.

Can't speak for the competition but both IMR and Cunard Brock were good places to work.

** History
GHPB/Booker Venture IMR 1967
GBSS/QE IMR 1967 to 1968
GTKX/Franconia 1968
Brock freighter on a 'repositioning' trip back from NYC to the UK name/callsign forgotten.
GBTT/QE2 1968 to 1971

Clive Russell now VE4AAK
Old 1st May 2012, 19:09
Active: 1956 - 1964

Hi Landoburns
Got my tickets at Jimmy Watts in 1958, Joined Marconi and started on 32.00 per month. Think you have had a slight memory twitch with your leaving salary om (dont we all nowadays?)
cheers Bob
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:58
Active: 1966 - 1977

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive123 View Post
Hello,
I joined IMR in March 1967. Most of the staff at Riversdale Tech were ex-IMR so there was a pretty good pipeline into the Liverpool office.
I went through 3 CR/Os during my 6 month training and when I was ready to get my own ship, was transferred to the original QE in Southampton.
Rather than take a transfer to a freighter on a Pacific run in 1968 I jumped ship to Cunard Brock and joined the Franconia in NY on the weekly Bermuda run. Transferred to the new QE2 in John Brown's Greenock yard and stayed with her until I came ashore after marrying a NY gal that I met on the Franconia.

Can't speak for the competition but both IMR and Cunard Brock were good places to work.

** History
GHPB/Booker Venture IMR 1967
GBSS/QE IMR 1967 to 1968
GTKX/Franconia 1968
Brock freighter on a 'repositioning' trip back from NYC to the UK name/callsign forgotten.
GBTT/QE2 1968 to 1971

Clive Russell now VE4AAK
Clive, do you remember me at Riversdale? We must have studied to gether under that excellent man Mr Bruce (ex IMR). You may also have come across a more recent colleague of mine, Colin Huchison, who also sailed as R/O on the "Queens" around the same time as yourself.

Best Wishes

Alan Melia
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:26

IMRC/RTC memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Clive, do you remember me at Riversdale? We must have studied to gether under that excellent man Mr Bruce (ex IMR). You may also have come across a more recent colleague of mine, Colin Huchison, who also sailed as R/O on the "Queens" around the same time as yourself.

Best Wishes

Alan Melia
Sure do Alan. In fact I saw a couple of your posts and tried to email you a week or so ago. I guess you never received it. Mr Bruce was an excellent prof and as you say, likely the reason I chose IMR. He probably was sending references to the Liverpool office, unsolicited or otherwise. I also tried to contact Brian Neary (Neary's theories) but didn't hear back from him. Sorry to hear about STJ/G3UMZ now a SK. Lost track of everyone else including the other Crewe-ite, Dave Hurst who did one trip then got a job with one of the early computer makers. Can remember Mssrs Wilks,Parker,Teasdale!!!, Old Jimmy Halton with his magnetron magnet (Pi 'pon 2), the ex-RAF guy?? forget his name for the moment and the very nice Mr Brown.
Any of the others from RTC hiding on this site that you're aware of?
Colin Huchison doesn't ring a bell. was he IMR or Cunard Brock because I only did about 6 months on GBSS before switching to Cunard direct employ. (Had a little misunderstanding with someone on the QE which may have precipitated me getting moved) Funny how things work out as otherwise I wouldn't have met my then future wife when she booked a cruise on the Franconia.
Nice hearing from you so shoot me an email if you'd like to catch up some more.
73, Clive
Old 9th May 2012, 08:57

My location
Clive, nice to hear from you.
Did get your e-mail but managed to loose it.
There are a number of threads on here for radio colleges and "lecturers we knew" so you can catch up with some of the old boys. Was the raf guy Mr Bonner? he could wiggle his ears!
Richard Walton did one trip and then joined the Marconi Depot in Liverpool. I joined Bibby's for several years before coming ashore to Lecture in Bristol. Yes there are a number of Riversdale old boys on here and with their collective memory, its possible to piece together quite a picture of who went where etc.

Best wishes
Alan
Old 10th May 2012, 16:01

Who was that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M29 View Post
Clive, nice to hear from you.
Did get your e-mail but managed to loose it.
There are a number of threads on here for radio colleges and "lecturers we knew" so you can catch up with some of the old boys. Was the raf guy Mr Bonner? he could wiggle his ears!
Richard Walton did one trip and then joined the Marconi Depot in Liverpool. I joined Bibby's for several years before coming ashore to Lecture in Bristol. Yes there are a number of Riversdale old boys on here and with their collective memory, its possible to piece together quite a picture of who went where etc.

Best wishes
Alan
Yes. it's nice to get in touch again. Forgot about Mr. Bonner but the guy I'm thinking of was the deputy head of the department. Skinny, fair hair and talked out of the side of his mouth. Ring any bells? There was also the red headed ex-IMR/Cunarder who had the artificial leg. Can't remember his name either. Guess I need a new set of nv-ram.

Take care and enjoy the summer.

Last edited by Clive123 : 10th May 2012 at 16:03.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:59

My location
Clive
I think you are refering to Mr Grithiths (spelling?), talked out the corner of mouth, humerous tales of RAF, could talk his way through the action of the Q29 autoalarm in real time, amazing.
The guy with the false leg took a dislike to me for some reason but we only had him for morse. Mr Teasdale, "you can solder a cats a**e to a brick wall so long as both surfaces are clean" also Mr Parker who sounded London but I believe was from Southampton way. Mr Brown was head of department. Mr Andrews was it? who ran radar.
Some great guys, I really enjoyed college although it was hard work.

Best Wishes

Alan
Old 14th May 2012, 21:53

I remember Mr Griffiths, as you say ex RAF, he passed his driving test at a "mature" age and purchased a Triumph Herald. He used to go cruising along the front at Rhyl, forget the time and oversleep when he got back. Well that was his story.
Mr Teesdale was a slightly wild eyed teacher, great for morse and equipment. We spend hours with him when the Torrey Canyon distress was in progress.
A great college.

Regards
Richard Walsh
Old 21st May 2012, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBXZ View Post
I remember Mr Griffiths, as you say ex RAF, he passed his driving test at a "mature" age and purchased a Triumph Herald. He used to go cruising along the front at Rhyl, forget the time and oversleep when he got back. Well that was his story.
Mr Teesdale was a slightly wild eyed teacher, great for morse and equipment. We spend hours with him when the Torrey Canyon distress was in progress.
A great college.

Regards
Richard Walsh
I might be wrong after all this time but seem to remember the tanker accident while I was on an early trip with IMR, heading away from the action in the Bay of Biscay.
I remember Mr Teesdale's reaction to a Tech Elec classmate who tried to 'zero' a variac causing the release of its latent smoke. The previous week he'd covered valve voltmeters, hence the confusion. Apart from Mr Parker's circuit descriptions of "well just look at it, it's gotta work, it can't help itself", I remember him showing the heating effect of microwaves by waving his hand in front of a disconnected waveguide. Life was cheap in those days.

Clive
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:00

IMRC Radio Office

Quote:

I found some nice pictures of the radio room on GHPB which happened to be my first ship after graduating with my PMG & MOT tickets. They are to be found in the gallery on the Bookerline site posted by Don Macrae and here's the link to one of them.

http://www.bookerline.com/Gallery Files/Crew/Don Macrae tuning the ships main receiver.htm
Old 24th May 2012, 13:41

From 59 until coming ashore in 82 I sailed a little with Marconi and Redifon but mostly freelance both Brit and foreign I didnt have many problems and made the most of what equipment and spares were aboard I always made sure though that everyone aboard knew I was answerable to one man only the Captain and didnt take any crap from anyone else who thought they could pull rank on me,thats why I dont think I could have worked ashore in a coast station with management looking over my shoulder which seems to be the case reading some of the coast station R/Os threads
Old 31st July 2013, 20:59

Sparks

I joined Marconi in 1969 later worked for IMRC eventually joining the IMR Newcastle as Radio Engineer must have been about 1977.