Seaman's Record Book - Ships Nostalgia
17:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Seaman's Record Book

Old 7th March 2011, 23:20

Seaman's Record Book

I've just come across my Dad's record book. It has details of voyages for Tetela, Manistee, Camito, Chicanoa, Tetela and Sulaco from 1957 to 1962 if anyone is interested and Cape Sable and Cape Wrath with Lyle's up to 1963. I enclose an attachment of one entry. I'll post the rest if anyone wants to see them.

Colin Inverarity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRB1a.jpg (217.1 KB, 202 views)
Old 8th March 2011, 18:45

Fyffes Days !

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin.i2 View Post
I've just come across my Dad's record book. It has details of voyages for Tetela, Manistee, Camito, Chicanoa, Tetela and Sulaco from 1957 to 1962 if anyone is interested and Cape Sable and Cape Wrath with Lyle's up to 1963. I enclose an attachment of one entry. I'll post the rest if anyone wants to see them.

Colin Inverarity
Hi Colin, Was that Frank or ?? I met both but any sailed with one. The were several sets of brothers in Fyffes as C/eng or 2nd eng. My last trip in Fyffes was 9-10-62 on the Reventazon (ex German supply vessel)
Old 11th March 2011, 19:46

Seaman's Record Book

My dad was Frank, perhaps the lesser of two evils !
Old 12th March 2011, 17:16
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Hi Colin - I would certainly like to see posts of your dad's record book for Camito and Chicanoa two ships that I sailed on although much later than your dad's time.
I did sail briefly with your Uncle Pat from Southampton to South Shields in the summer of 1968. Your uncle was C/E - I was 2/E but my relief was sailing with me so it was he who was quizzed by your uncle. Chicanoa was a sister ship to Changuinola the first of a class of four that I always associate with Pat Tetela of your posting was one of a large class of 19 ships - She was built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead in 1926 so she was getting on in years and would have been a bit of a "challenge". She was broken up in Belgium in 1959.
Old 12th March 2011, 20:05

Camito/sailed with dad

Quote:
My dad was Frank, perhaps the lesser of two evils !
Hi Colin, I sailed with you dad on the Camito, but it was only one voyage that he was there, I cannot re call if he was sailing as chief or supernumerary. It must have been Pat that I sailed with on the Matina, I was on Matina from 12/5/60 to 9/3/62. Both very different but Fine people. Camito 22/12/58 to 22/3/60 Regards AJM
Old 12th March 2011, 20:11

"T" Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Hi Colin - I would certainly like to see posts of your dad's record book for Camito and Chicanoa two ships that I sailed on although much later than your dad's time.
I did sail briefly with your Uncle Pat from Southampton to South Shields in the summer of 1968. Your uncle was C/E - I was 2/E but my relief was sailing with me so it was he who was quizzed by your uncle. Chicanoa was a sister ship to Changuinola the first of a class of four that I always associate with Pat Tetela of your posting was one of a large class of 19 ships - She was built by Cammell Laird at Birkenhead in 1926 so she was getting on in years and would have been a bit of a "challenge". She was broken up in Belgium in 1959.
Hi Jim, could be one of the German built ships in this time frame
Old 12th March 2011, 20:25

T-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.McMahon View Post
Hi Jim, could be one of the German built ships in this time frame
Hi Tony,
The six T-Class from Bremer Vulkan were built between 1960 and 1962.
The dates on Frank's record are 1957-58

Jim
Old 18th March 2011, 21:43

More Voyages

More voyages as requested.

Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SRB2a.jpg (90.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg SRB3a.jpg (87.3 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg SRB4a.jpg (85.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg SRB5a.jpg (91.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 18th March 2011, 22:31

Sea Service

Colin,
Thank you for posting samples from your father's Discharge Book.
The last entry is poignant.

Regards,
Jim S
Old 29th March 2011, 18:56

Quote:
More voyages as requested.

Colin
That last entry comes as a shock Colin. A cousin of mine, who was an apprentice during the war, also had an accident entering a hold on one of R. Smiths ships. I think that was in Singapore.
Old 30th March 2011, 13:22

Tony,
Having had another look at Frank Inverarity's Discharge Book entries - he sailed on both the old turbo-electric Tetela for at least 10 trips up until August 1959 and on the new German built Tetela from February to August 1961.

Jim
Old 22nd April 2011, 22:41

Colin,
Your father's 1st trip on the Chicanoa,was my last trip as 2nd Engineer. I'm afraid I don't remember him,as I resolved to have as little contact with Chief Engineers as possible,as his predecessor was a useless alcholic. I seemed to run the engine room O.K.with little input from the Chiefs. I just remember being pleased that my last Chief seemed to be normal!
Cheers,
Roy
Old 24th April 2011, 16:27

Sign of the times

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy quirk View Post
Colin,
Your father's 1st trip on the Chicanoa,was my last trip as 2nd Engineer. I'm afraid I don't remember him,as I resolved to have as little contact with Chief Engineers as possible,as his predecessor was a useless alcholic. I seemed to run the engine room O.K.with little input from the Chiefs. I just remember being pleased that my last Chief seemed to be normal!
Cheers,
Roy
Hi Roy,
Now you got me thinking. Which of the Chief's does he mean? there were a number with the same disposition. We were fortunate in our sea time, not dodging bombs or mines, hardly surprising a few became numbed by the demon drink !!
Good to see you are still aboard, pop in for an ale.
Best Regards. AJM
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:00

hi colin,
been checking my dis. book and see i sailed with your dad on two trips on manistee. sept. to oct. i was 2nd cook 1959 and chief cook also 1959 which was xmas at sea.did your dad have any photos of that era.nice to make contact good luck to you. john martin
Old 18th February 2013, 11:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1963

Telde 63

Hi colin, I didn't know your father but I sailed with your uncle Pat Inverarity CH/ENG on the Telde Feb-Jul 63, a very knowledgeable & respected engineer. For some reason on this trip the captain (Raywood-Williams) and the chief stopped talking to each other and I recall the chief had to phone the E/R to establish the port departure times. In the engineroom he wore a white boiler suite with a blue belt resembling an exhaust steam pipe, blended in quite well.
Other engineers on board were 2nd Ron Mollison, 4th Joe Mullins, J/E Jack Wilkinson.
Dick Mathie J/E

Last edited by richard mathieson : 18th February 2013 at 11:37.