Edgar Owen - Ships Nostalgia
13:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Edgar Owen

Old 1st May 2011, 05:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Edgar Owen

Well I dont seem to have reached anyone that remembers big Joe Keig from the Isle of Mann but how about Edgar Owen ,I had the privaledge of sailing with many good old boys in my 12 years at sea but Edgar was way up there he was not a tall man but he certainly was a big man, lovely way and the thing that always stood out about him in my minds eye was how tough he was I can remember him on numerous occasions sliding down the mast stays hand over hand and thinking nothing of it ,I think we were cabin mates in Agapenor I was told that some years back by a fella who I beleive was deck boy at the time I beleive his name is Tony Dennis this would have been back in 1962 so if I,m getting my ships and names mixed up I,m sorry lads the thing about the Agapenor was again in my minds eye how great the deck crowd where, in fact on the way home the mate asked me back but I declined because she would have been in the u.k. to long the mate got in touch with Birkenhead to try to fit me in with another deep sea sailing as soon as possible that,s how I ended up in Perseus not for me such a great ship after her I left Blueys went back on the pool but within 2 years I was back again in Antilochus and Pyrrhus so to all those good old boys I sailed with in that great shipping company thanks for the memories I can no longer remember all your names but you can be sure I have never forgotten you, all the very best mates Dave .

I still see o,er the ocean, a ship with funnel blue
Reminding me of golden days and shipmates that I knew
Drawn from greek mythology, their wondrous names live on
I still see Agapenor on her way to Belawan
Perseus standing off , in the great sea of Japan
Antilochus wends her way through the gulf of old Siam
Pyrrhus forging onwards making way to Singapore
Within our hearts Blue Funnel ships sail on for evermore .
R692044
Old 1st May 2011, 12:49

Hi there,

Joe had a stroke about 15 years ago and he just gave up really. I never sailed with Joe unfortunatly, but being from the same place we spent a lot of time together when on leave.
Old 1st May 2011, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred ball View Post
Hi there,

Joe had a stroke about 15 years ago and he just gave up really. I never sailed with Joe unfortunatly, but being from the same place we spent a lot of time together when on leave.
Hello there Fred I have a photo of joe myself and another fella taken way back , in a bar I myself was about 20 or there abouts at the time , looking at Joe I would think he would have been around about 35 at that time as I say this would have been about 1962 I did hear that he made bosun in one of the A boats but it,s all a long time back but I would not be surprised if he did and if he did I have no doubt he would have made a great bosun I will try to sort this photo out I,m ok at sending them in emails but I can never work out how to do it on here, I have had numerous people try to put me on the right course ,but me and computers dont get on to well off the top of my head I would think that Joe would have been in his mid 80,s about now thanks for that anyhow Fred and best wishes Dave .
Old 1st May 2011, 19:21

I did hear that Joe Keig made bosun, I never sailed with him but we were on different ships together in Glasgow one time and he came aboard to see some lads he knew. A pleasant bloke, as was Edgar Owen who I sailed with on the Memnon in 1960. I didnt have much to do with him, he was AB and I was JOS, but he certainly knew his way around a ship.
Regards,
Pat
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I did hear that Joe Keig made bosun, I never sailed with him but we were on different ships together in Glasgow one time and he came aboard to see some lads he knew. A pleasant bloke, as was Edgar Owen who I sailed with on the Memnon in 1960. I didnt have much to do with him, he was AB and I was JOS, but he certainly knew his way around a ship.
Regards,
Pat
Thanks for that Pat ,yes Joe and Edgar where both good old boys hard to think it was nigh on 50 years ago now strange though how I can still see some of the lads I sailed with in my minds eye but their names have long gone from my memory ,it would have been so easy to have kept some sort of diary even if just to write down the names of those you got on with well ,but I for one just took it all for granted and who would have thought that 50 years later we would have been putting messages on here thanks again best wishes Dave .
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:10

Very true Dave, I sailed on 58 ships in all, and can remember about 20 names of all the deck crowds I sailed with.
But when someone mentions a name, as you did with Edgar Owens, a picture of him floats into my mind and slowly the ship usually follows on .
Similarly with photographs. Ships were so commonplace in my life that taking photos of them never occurred to me until I realised that they were vanishing rapidly.
Best regards,
Pat
Old 2nd May 2011, 17:51

Quote:
Very true Dave, I sailed on 58 ships in all, and can remember about 20 names of all the deck crowds I sailed with.
But when someone mentions a name, as you did with Edgar Owens, a picture of him floats into my mind and slowly the ship usually follows on .
Similarly with photographs. Ships were so commonplace in my life that taking photos of them never occurred to me until I realised that they were vanishing rapidly.
Best regards,
Pat
I suppose it,s the names Pat , a name like Edgar is very rare I have this picture of him in my minds eye not very tall quite a sturdy man and do you remember if he had his front teeth missing because that strikes a bell with me although I have to say I sailed with Edgar quite some time after you , all the best Dave .
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:22

Dave,
Edgar had all his teeth when I sailed with him. As you say not very tall, sturdy, very tanned, always wore the regulation BF 'revie' in blue denim. He just did his job without fuss, like most of us did I suppose.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:26

Quote:
Dave,
Edgar had all his teeth when I sailed with him. As you say not very tall, sturdy, very tanned, always wore the regulation BF 'revie' in blue denim. He just did his job without fuss, like most of us did I suppose.
Best Regards,
Pat
Right on Pat well tanned and as you rightly say did his job without a fuss and if you where the type who wanted to make a fuss you just would not have fitted in, to much of a work up on deck the only way when leaving port was get stuck in and get her flattened out and everything stowed away untill the next time, I think I was in Agapenor with Edgar best wishes Dave .
Old 17th April 2012, 07:19
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Right on Pat well tanned and as you rightly say did his job without a fuss and if you where the type who wanted to make a fuss you just would not have fitted in, to much of a work up on deck the only way when leaving port was get stuck in and get her flattened out and everything stowed away untill the next time, I think I was in Agapenor with Edgar best wishes Dave .
Just read your posts regarding Edgar Owen. Sailed with him on the Ajax Oct 65-Feb 66 'Bangor Bull was bosun' If you can access the "M.N. Old Timers" website I have an Album posted under James A Stuart, SS Perseus. There is however, one shot of the Ajax "Breaking Out The Jumbo" The seaman flat out on his belly virtually underneath the block is EDGAR OWEN! Bangor Bull is looking on.
Best Wishes James A Stuart (Tony)
P.S Think I coasted with you Pat Kennedy 1964-1966?
Old 17th April 2012, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stuart View Post
Just read your posts regarding Edgar Owen. Sailed with him on the Ajax Oct 65-Feb 66 'Bangor Bull was bosun' If you can access the "M.N. Old Timers" website I have an Album posted under James A Stuart, SS Perseus. There is however, one shot of the Ajax "Breaking Out The Jumbo" The seaman flat out on his belly virtually underneath the block is EDGAR OWEN! Bangor Bull is looking on.
Best Wishes James A Stuart (Tony)
P.S Think I coasted with you Pat Kennedy 1964-1966?
Tony,
I replied to your e-mail on April 13th, did you not receive it?
best regards,
Pat