Ships Nostalgia banner

Capt. BRYAN HILL

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  willie mac quarrie 
#1 ·
Does anyone recall a Captain Bryan Hill ex Blue Funnel in Denholms from 1972 to 1982? Also his last vessel in 1982 KARAMU FOREST?

Stephen

#2 ·
I've just been going through Bryan's correspondence with me, of which there is quite a lot! In a letter dated 3rd Feb. 1994 he writes:-
'What happened was I was about to coast Jason to Glasgow in Jan.1972 when personnel (department) dropped the bad news in a far too casual way. Just couldn't understand it at all. But, not prepared to let opportunities slip, I walked into Denholm's Ship Management office immediately after arrival. They gave me an immediate interview with a second one two weeks later: and I was IN. Had nine excellent years in command with them before retirement came my way.
Had an extra year with a Singapore company, thanks to Swedish charterers, before giving up the sea completely'.

#4 ·
Hallo Roddy,

I trust all is well.

Just spent a couple of hours browsing old Denholm News and found Capt Hill's name a few times. He seemed to have spent his time on small bulkers, SCOTSPARK type and a few of the general cargo boats... DUNELMIA and such.

I see a note in Denholm News for Summer 1982 that ADVARA ex KYOTO FOREST was sold to Singapore owners in August 1981. That just might explain the KARAMU FOREST question.

Best,

Stephen

#6 ·
Sailed with him on the Atholl Forest for a few months. He relieved another
Brian ( MacManus).
We had a bit of a time on her in the Baltic. Stuck in ice for a week , main
power failure , no heating , power to the galley etc. among other things.

Guess he would also be glad to forget that trip.

#17 ·
Hi LTS
I see in you're profile that your time in Denhoms was similiar to mine.
You were also on the Nordic Patriot and then spent a bit of time with Maersk?
It's a small wee World out there. I was on the Patriot and also the Fighter (Very briefly and ungloriously)
Perchance at the same time??

Archie

#14 ·
I was mate on her during the "ice " trip , loading glossy newsprint paper in
Rauma and Helsinki on a voyage charter to Finnlines.
She then went to Teesport to load a deck cargo of steel rails and containers.

I left her there but went back to Yokohama to rejoin when she was sold and
did a 4 week handover trip , leaving again in Vancouver BC.
Great days.

Archie , must have left when you joined in Teesport and joined when you left
in Yokohama !.

#16 ·
Hey John,
We must have passed on the gangway at Yokohama.
A few things I remember from then............
Five days in a hotel in Yokohama because the DC10's were falling out the sky at the time. This meant they were all grounded and we couldn't get home 'cos there were nae flights....bugger.
Taking the tube to tour round the Emperors gardens and Tokyo Zoo...... only because the Second and Third mates had the good grace to organized it all. Good guys
Being surrounded by Japanese Schoolgirls determined to practice their English with us in the Zoo and on the Tube [=P]
(Maybe I shouldn't remember those bits in public B\))
It all happened a long while time ago now but - some bits you don't forget. other stuff just disappears!!
Archie

#18 ·
Yes indeed Archie. After you all left and before the Greeks arrived there was
only David Livingston ( as ship manager ) , the cheng and me on board.
Still can see DL sitting alone in a lighted office in the small hours waiting for
the phone call from the UK to say that the handover had gone through.

Was glad that I had asked the ch.stwd ( was it Dan Sweeny ?)to keep a
case of corned beef and a case of tinned salmon hidden away before he
left. Just as well , couldn't get used to the new crowd's food - swimming
in olive oil.

The handover trip was worth a book in itself. 3rd.mate was the old man's
son and had only been on deck before. Remember going up to the bridge ,
first day out of Yokohama , dense fog , no radars on , and hearing a
Japanese fishing fleet all round us. Only one of the many frightening things.
That handover trip was a real eye opener.

#19 ·
Hand over trips were often eye openers. I am still surprised at the lack of serious shipping accidents, folk thrown in at the deep end. I handed over a few and took over some. One; Cast Puffin, from Hong Kong. No one on board had seen the engine run. I started her and off we went, out too sea with a typhoon about to clear the place! We never went back in. Exciting times!

regards Malky

#21 ·
Captain Bryan Hill

I sailed with Captain Hill on his first trip in Denholms. He joined the 'Vancouver Island' in Genoa towards the end of July 1972, relieving Captain T.Turner.
I sailed on the above as 2nd Mate on the maiden voyage, joining her in Upper Clyde Shipbuilders February 1972. We sailed from Tail of the Bank on 6th April 1972 loading grain in Duluth/Baie Comeau for discharge Leningrad. Then loaded pig iron in Raahe(Northern Finland) for discharge Genoa where we got caught in a dockers strike. Spent the whole month of July in Genoa. Then loaded phosphates in Casablanca for discharge Melbourne. Loaded grain in Geelong for discharge Corral (Chile) finally paid off here towards end of October 1972.
Good crowd, very enjoyable trip.
Donald Murray

#22 ·
Capt Bryan Hill

I know this is a few years after the original post but I sailed with Bryan as Jnr on the Atholl Forest. What a true gent. Still have a Paquebot letter envelope posted at sea off the Paracel Islands, South China Sea amazingly decorated by the man himself. Joined in Nanaimo BC 24.08.78, did the tour of the BC sawmills then through Panama to Cardiff and Felixtowe discharge. On then to Finland for more timber finally discharging in Hong Kong where I paid off 03.11.78. The only ship I wanted to stay on cos she went from Hong Kong back to BC. Would have gone round the world on one trip- Bummer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.