F T Everard and Sons Ltd - Ships Nostalgia
06:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

F T Everard and Sons Ltd

Old 19th December 2005, 23:01

F T Everard and Sons Ltd

In the early 1960's, I applied for a job with Everards the coaster firm based at Greenhithe in Kent. I recall being offered a job on a ship called Security but the offer was withdrawn and I went to work for Zim. Later, I heard that the ship had sunk. I have found a photo of a coaster called Security but this was launched in 1971. Can anyone confirm that Everards owned a ship called Security and that it came to an unfortunate end. Thanks.
Old 19th December 2005, 23:59

There was a 'Security' built in 1950. She measured 1,490GT, 242' x 36' and was diesel powered with a service speed of 11 knots.

I'll try and find more information and a picture.

Bruce C.
Old 20th December 2005, 01:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
M.V. Security

I think she was lost by collision in the Elbe approaches in 1963
Old 20th December 2005, 02:01

"Security" was anchored in thick fog in River Elbe on 2 February 1964 when she was run down and sunk by the German "Carpathia". She was raised the following month and broken up in Hamburg.
Old 20th December 2005, 10:20
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I was told to ring greenhyth 2345 and ask for a Mr Kimberley and I would get a berth, still waiting now!! ... LOL
Old 21st December 2005, 10:19

Security

Thanks to all for the various bits of information on Security.

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on. You wouldn't think that they would call another ship 'Security' after that experience; 'Calamity' might be more appropriate.
Old 21st December 2005, 13:49

[quote=Polarum]Thanks to all for the various bits of information on Security.

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on.

HI:
Can't find a picture of 'Security', but there is a small photo of the 'Stability', an identical sistership, at the following URL.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/T.../security.html

Bruce C.
Old 21st December 2005, 14:00
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Security o/n 183257 1490 tons built 1950 by Goole SB& Eng co Ltd Goole.
230.2 x 36.2 x 14.0. 4 cyl diesel by J I Thorneycroft. 1 deck. DF ESD.Code flagsMDTQ
Registered London. Owned by F T Everard & Sons Ltd Registered at LLoyds as 100A!
Old 21st December 2005, 14:14

My location
Yes she was on voyage from Arklow to Hamburg with a cargo of 1,400 tons
of stone chips .the collision was in dense fog during the evening in the lower Elbe near Krautsand.
Gp
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:55

Security - photo

Since my original posting, I have discovered this photo of the ill-fated 'Security' on Australian e-bay. I wonder what became of her sister ship 'Stability'? Toppled over somewhere, perhaps?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg security.jpg (54.7 KB, 475 views)
Old 23rd December 2005, 18:05

security/ stability

The STABILITY was sold outof the Co.in 1973 and ended her days as the Indonesian VANDARATANA. Broken up in Indonesia in 1986. I think they were the only two of that design to have black hulls
Old 7th February 2006, 17:20

Thumbs up MV Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarum
In the early 1960's, I applied for a job with Everards the coaster firm based at Greenhithe in Kent. I recall being offered a job on a ship called Security but the offer was withdrawn and I went to work for Zim. Later, I heard that the ship had sunk. I have found a photo of a coaster called Security but this was launched in 1971. Can anyone confirm that Everards owned a ship called Security and that it came to an unfortunate end. Thanks.
I did a few trips on Security 78/79 ish, The Old Man was a wonderful Captain Mumby,He was originally from Grimsbt but moved to Kent or Essex and he allways sailed with his wife,....I remember that the Grain run from europort to the London River was quite a good run where we went aboard the older Freds vessels that where laid up for sale,these were the Fred Everard,Mairi Everard and others that I don,t recall the name of,we tied up along side them whilst we waited for the Baltic exchange to open,We had a few runs out to Spain for Scrap,took Coal to Belfast but by far the best run was the Timber run from Gunness to Scandinavia in paticular to Gothenborg,yes ! plenty of memories there on board the Security......Incidentaly I have a Picture of it some where,not one that I took but out of a box of pictures of ships that I was looking through at Hull one day ,If I find it I will e-mail it on to you.
Old 8th February 2006, 16:05
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy
I was told to ring greenhyth 2345 and ask for a Mr Kimberley and I would get a berth, still waiting now!! ... LOL
His name was Mr. Kimber. In 1962, I also rang him and unfortunately he phoned back,
Gave me the Mate's job on the "Aquity". With a fresh 2nd. Mates ticket and no coastal experience, I had the luck to take the first watch leaving Leith. Asked the Captain where the pilot was to which he replied "You are He". The Old Man also reassured me that whatever I did with an Everards ship was not a big problem as someone else would have already done better.

Checked the charts to find that the latest correction was done in 1949. We had to use a carved rubber to indicate the position on the chart as erasing pencil marks would eventually wear them out.

Seriously though. I learned more about seamanship and shiphandling with Everards than anywhere else.

AQUITY
Empire Tedship 891 193 32 43 1946 Coastal Tanker.
MOWT managed by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1947 FISCHERIA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1951 ACUITY, F.T.Everard & Sons, London.
1967 VITTORIOSA, Betamar Carriers Ltd, Somalia
1968 Converted to water tanker.
1969 NEPTUNIA TERZA, Compania di Davide Russo & Co, Italy.
1975 Scrapped Italy.

also sailed on:

AMITY
Empire Tedassa 947 193 34 16 1945 Coastal Tanker.
MOWT managed by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1947 FOSSARINA, Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co.
1950 AMITY, F.T.Everard & Sons, London.
1965 Scrapped Great Yarmouth.

If anyone has photos, would sure appreciate them
Old 22nd February 2006, 16:54

FT Everard & Sons Ltd

The mans name was Mr Kimber Billy Boy and so long as you were out of work you got a job
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:04

Does anyone remember The Astrality I remember her being the biggest of the fleet in 1957. I went from her on to the Acuity before going deep sea. Really good times for six months on the Acuity . Skipper was Fisher,mate was Len Sallis, second mate Johnny Fareham and the chief Engineer was Growcock.
Old 22nd February 2006, 21:41
danube4

My location
Any one remember this: Liverpool Express January 9th 1952, same time as the Flying Enterprise. Stop press.
Another ship is taken in tow.
Towline passed from tug to London tanker Audacity today after she drifted helplessly for ten hours in Cardigan Bay with broken propeller shaft, smashed stern , her bulkheads carried away, and water pouring into engine-room . Crew of 14 aboard.
Old 23rd February 2006, 20:42

My location
Astrality

Yes I remember the Astrality, I sailed in her in 1961, her master at the time was Peter Collier who together with the mate, kept a collection of vintage and classic motor bikes in the centrecastle. We used to transit the Manchester Ship Canal, I can remember having to lead the main telescopic topmast wire over the fiddley and down to the mooring winch on the poop, because there wasn't a winch on the main deck, or something like that. If I remember correctly the 3 cylinder Doxford used to push her on at a fair speed [ex Bolma of Shell]. .
Old 23rd February 2006, 23:36

My location
In the late 60's and early 70's I did a lot of research into the ships and history of Everards which I then passed onto the Company together with over 100 photographs of their various vessels. I was invited to Greenhithe for the day to do this as the guest of Miss Ethel. The 'Alf Everard' was alongside and I was given a guided tour by this good lady and the Master (can't remember his name but he was a small gentleman with an Irish accent). The 'Frederick T Everard' had just been sold foreign and her bell was proudly hanging in the foyer of the office. Also met Miss Rosemary and all in all it was a very pleasant day indeed and the Company in those days certainly had an 'olde worldly' feel about it.
I was also living near Hamburg when the 'Security' was lost (I have a photo of the wreck taken from a German newspaper) and at that time she was sporting yellow livery. They also lost another of the class (can't remember the name) when she came ashore in Robin Hood's Bay with a cargo of paper pulp from Norway in atrocious weather conditions. I gather the crew were not impressed when they were landed by the RNLI Lifeboat to be met by two gentleman from HM Customs who asked if they "had anything to declare"!
Although it would not have been an easy life I can well understand why many of you speak so fondly about your days with this Company.
Peter4447
Old 24th February 2006, 07:53

My location
Fred Everard

The Ship that ran aground near Ravenscar, Robin Hood in 1965, was the 'Fred Everard'. Captain Conn, [may not be the correct spelling] was master.
Old 24th February 2006, 13:57
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Found a very old piccie in the "old shoe box" with her details.
The Centurity, scanned from Hippo Books 1962 British Tramps & Colliers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Centurity1956.jpg (74.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Centurity1956-data.jpg (106.6 KB, 107 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b

Last edited by ruud : 24th February 2006 at 16:08.
Old 24th February 2006, 18:47
LEFO

Was on the Security in summer of 56 as my mother was in hospital so I took a coaster,Conn was the master he was from Sunderland/Tyne the mate was Samuellsen a Norwegian and then me,7 weeks was enough.When he knocked the deck crew off of an evening Conn would tell them to leave their gear and he would go out and do some chipping himself,[a real company man.]and this was when we were on passage.

Last edited by dnobmal : 24th February 2006 at 18:54.
Old 26th February 2006, 20:43

I spoke to the Company secretary recently about any info or photographs and to try to trace ex crew members.
He told me that all Fred's records were in the document store that was burnt to the ground some time back.
So all the old company records, photo's, historys etc etc are no longer.
What a crying shame - and they think it was vandals that caused it!!
Old 27th February 2006, 03:20
Banned

When I was serving my time in the 50,s two of us were sent to replace
some valves on the deck of an Everards tanker,after knocking off half an inch of paint and rust,we discovered that every nut had been welded,so it was cold chisel and hammer,apparently she,d been carrying pure alchohol;to keep the crew sober I suppose,
Old 27th February 2006, 05:35
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairda59
I spoke to the Company secretary recently about any info or photographs and to try to trace ex crew members.
He told me that all Fred's records were in the document store that was burnt to the ground some time back.
So all the old company records, photo's, historys etc etc are no longer.
What a crying shame - and they think it was vandals that caused it!!
How convenient
Old 3rd May 2006, 08:15
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarum
Thanks to all for the various bits of information on Security.

It would be great to see a photograph of what I narrowly missed working on. You wouldn't think that they would call another ship 'Security' after that experience; 'Calamity' might be more appropriate.
Ahoy Polarum,
Here you are,I had the opportunity that I could make a scan from the book Everard of Greenhythe by K.C.Garrett[ISBN:0 905617 58 4]photo courtesy by C.Hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Security1950 by C.Hill-1 (Medium).JPG (40.8 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Security1950-data (Medium).jpg (23.8 KB, 37 views)
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b

Last edited by ruud : 3rd May 2006 at 08:40.