Mystery title Royal Navy - Ships Nostalgia
08:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mystery title Royal Navy

Old 28th July 2011, 01:00

Question Mystery title Royal Navy

Looking for the correct title for L Ck M. Would this be Lock Mate and if it is, what does in mean? I have never come across this title in my Royal Navy research, can anyone help please.
Old 28th July 2011, 01:49

Think it's Leading Cook, but not sure about the M. According to a website I found , L Ck S cooked for the seamen, L CK O cooked for the officers (maybe he still does!). Presumably the officers get their prawns peeled and the seamen don't.

Hope this helps.

John T

PS Just had a thought, could the M stand for "Marines"?
Old 28th July 2011, 08:06
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1969

I think this is Leading Cooks Mate.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:57

My location
No such rate in the R.M. chaps.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:12
Organisation: Royal Navy

Think it's Leading Cook, but not sure about the M. According to a website I found , L Ck S cooked for the seamen, L CK O cooked for the officers (maybe he still does!). Presumably the officers get their prawns peeled and the seamen don't.

Very funny, TDP , although there hasn't been a sub branch for officers' cooks for many years now - very high standards all round!

Leading Cook looks right indeed but, as Clevewyn points out "Leading Cook's Mate is also possible, as evidenced by http://www.pbenyon1.plus.com/KR&AI_1...l_II/Cook.html relating to early last century.

Lyn could help by giving us the context since perhaps she is doing some family research.

Jack
Old 30th July 2011, 07:01

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post

Very funny, TDP , although there hasn't been a sub branch for officers' cooks for many years now - very high standards all round!

Leading Cook looks right indeed but, as Clevewyn points out "Leading Cook's Mate is also possible, as evidenced by http://www.pbenyon1.plus.com/KR&AI_1...l_II/Cook.html relating to early last century.

Lyn could help by giving us the context since perhaps she is doing some family research.

Jack
Thanks fellows. This is a title I came across in a list of issued medals after WW1. You are all probably right and it means Leading Cook Mate as M is diffently after L cK. Then again he could have cooked for marines on board a Royal Naval vessel. Thanks heaps you have all come through for me again. I just love researching WW1 naval history. cheers
Old 30th July 2011, 08:11
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Another one long gone who or what was the 'Boatswain of the Yard' and what was so special about his Badge of Rank.
Please bear in mind I last saw one in 1969 so what with memory fade etc ---?!

Yours aye,

slick