BOT Lime Juice - merged threads - Ships Nostalgia
17:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BOT Lime Juice - merged threads

Old 19th March 2011, 09:18
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Lime Juice, Salt tablets, and of course, Paladrin

Who remembers the daily ritual of lime juice, salt tablets ( for the workers) and , was it, Paladrin - anti Malaria tabs?

Some thought the lime juice was to stop you feeling randy!!
Old 19th March 2011, 10:16
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

My location
Alan,
The anti malarial tablets were called Paludrine and believe it or not are still in use today, but only it seems by shipping companies!

Jim
Old 19th March 2011, 11:02
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Used to use the lime juice to clean the wooden chopping block, Salt tablets on the tables in both messroom and saloon,Paludrine tablets on tables also before and during your stay in malarial ports.

Ray
Old 19th March 2011, 11:11

Developed a taste for Rose's lime juice at sea; perfect in combination with Vodka, but nice with only water on hot summer days.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:14
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Salt tablet dispenser on the bulkhead.... next to iced water machine...

Last edited by Cisco : 19th March 2011 at 11:23.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:16
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
lime juice to stop you feeling randy? I think it has just started to work..........
Old 19th March 2011, 11:24
Active: 1958 - Present

Brocklebanks used fresh Indian limes when available, but usually well watered down in the interests of economy.
I could never take the salt tablets, salt tablet down=sick as a dog.
Ian
Old 19th March 2011, 11:24
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
Developed a taste for Rose's lime juice at sea; perfect in combination with Vodka, but nice with only water on hot summer days.

BOT Lime Juice, Rose's lime juice sold in slop chest with other cordials.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:42
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1990

Paludrine, were on a dish in the dinning room at lunch time. Pusers limers was avalaible for the steaming crews. Puser's cheifs (sorry cooks) put sufficent salt in the food that salt tablets were not required althouth I did have them on my first ship the Carysfort in the late 60s.
Old 19th March 2011, 11:48
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Who remembers the daily ritual of lime juice, salt tablets ( for the workers) and , was it, Paladrin - anti Malaria tabs?

Some thought the lime juice was to stop you feeling randy!!
Alan,
Much better than lime juice on the maplebank was the saturday tot of rum.Dont think that we apps were supposed to get it ,but the chief steward was a kind chap,and we were very popular with the abs if we gave them our tot.

jim
Old 19th March 2011, 13:09

My location
Paludrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Alan,
The anti malarial tablets were called Paludrine and believe it or not are still in use today, but only it seems by shipping companies!
Hallo Jim,

Thanks for the spelling - come to think of it, Paludrine must have done a great job over the years. Sailed with a mate who had recurring Malaria, and it was not much fun...
Old 19th March 2011, 13:12

My location
Rum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Alan,
Much better than lime juice on the maplebank was the saturday tot of rum.Dont think that we apps were supposed to get it ,but the chief steward was a kind chap,and we were very popular with the abs if we gave them our tot.

jim
Crikey, Jim - I think our deck crowd would have gone haywire if they got their hands on a rum ration! Must have been a generous Master? Was it Capt Mountain or later?
Old 19th March 2011, 13:27
Active: 1969 - 1981

Never had lime juice but alway OJ or Tom Juice on the table, with Paludrin on the side.
We used to have a help yourself box of 500 sugar coated salt tabs on the manouvering platform desk with a battered coffee pot of iced water (from the fridge flat).

Rum sounds fantastic.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:39

Took the salt tablets once and spent the rest of the day speaking to god on the great white telephone!
Old 19th March 2011, 14:19
Retired Ancient Mariner
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
The BOT lime juice used to be kept in the bonded locker as it had an alcohol content of 10%.
Great when mixed with Four Bells and some raw sugar.
Stopped you getting scurvy too!
Old 19th March 2011, 14:37
Active: 1955 - Present

Salt tablets and paludrin on the saloon table in E.D.'s. Lime juice went well with Gordons and iced water. I still have one as a lunch time drink of choice with lots of ice. I religiously took the daily paludrin but I collapsed on deck while on nights working cargo and came to in hospital in Takoradi. I was diagnosed with malaria and very well looked after. I have never had it again, luckily, so it obviously wasn't the recurring strain. There is still traces of it in my blood apparently so I was never allowed to give blood.
Old 19th March 2011, 15:12

My location
Tradition has it that, in the old days, lime juice was dosed to British seamen in order to prevent scurvy. However, the story goes that Captains James Cook and William Bligh actually fed their crews on sour kraut for that purpose. Small wonder Bligh's crew mutinied!
Old 19th March 2011, 16:05
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Crikey, Jim - I think our deck crowd would have gone haywire if they got their hands on a rum ration! Must have been a generous Master? Was it Capt Mountain or later?
Yup capt. Mountain started it off and when he was lost and capt .Thorne took over ,rum was still issued by the chief steward on a saturday morning at sea,often wondered if it was discontinued on white crew ships after 1954.

jim
Old 19th March 2011, 16:30

My location
Was the BOT lime juice fortified?

Memory of being sent for it by 2nd on my first deep sea watch still fresh. (Jan '67 Blue Flu's Ixion)

Chief steward mumped away saying he should have been ready for request as he knew 2nd was a big fan of it in all weathers.
He told me to come back later as it was buried away in his stores, so I returned down below thinking I'd done well bringing down 6 cold cokes.
When we did get it I was instructed on how it should be made exactly to 2nd's taste.
One teaspoonfull, six heaped teaspoons of sugar, all in a half pint china mug and stirred like a whirling dervish.
My first taste clapped my cheeks in, so I opted for the Roses, on one day consuming a whole bottle.
Constipation was not a problem

The bosun told me some cadets had used the BOT stuff neat in some poor girls Vodka when they ran out of Roses and she was a hospital case.
Old 19th March 2011, 19:54
Forever a Seaman
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
The lime juice was laced with bromide. That was the stuff that was meant to keep it in your trousers - never had the slightest effect.
Old 19th March 2011, 21:01
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu83 View Post
Tradition has it that, in the old days, lime juice was dosed to British seamen in order to prevent scurvy. However, the story goes that Captains James Cook and William Bligh actually fed their crews on sour kraut for that purpose. Small wonder Bligh's crew mutinied!
I heard it was James Cook who fed his crew sauerkraut. When they refused it he announced that it was for officers only. Later he issued it,
strictly rationed, to the whole crew. I can't swear that this is true, but it should be.
Old 19th March 2011, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakercapt View Post
The BOT lime juice used to be kept in the bonded locker as it had an alcohol content of 10%.
Bill, BOT lime juice was indeed kept in the bond for the reason you say. It was kept in large glass bottles perhaps about a gallon size. The cork was covered in sealing wax with the BOT stamp. In my time at sea, on British ships, refusing to take anti scorbutics was an offence under the MSA and a log book entry was reqired stating offenders name and penalty imposed. On a BTC tanker in 1946, in the focsle, our only source for coldish water was from our chattis pots which hung from the awning spars, supplemented at noon daily by a bucket of cold BOT lime juice. Happy days.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:10
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
In Brocklebanks when out East we always had fresh lime juice and water at Smoko . Very refreshing and and certainly helped . That included some limes in the " Panai Bucket " during watches . There was always salt tablets at the table and also a bottle of salt tablets on the desk in the engine room .

We drank lots of tea and lots and lots of water during a watch .

The fix was very simple ; If your sweat running into the mouth did not taste salty . Take a salt tablet .
The early salt tablets were terrible to take but after a year or so they provided us with tablets that had a coating and did not have a bad taste .

Only know of 1 Brocks Engineer during my period of service who lost his life to Heat Exhaustion .
Old 19th March 2011, 23:40

Derek,taste your own sweat was the rule I learned.Don't know if that was scientifically correct but it seemed to work.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:42
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
Yup capt. Mountain started it off and when he was lost and capt .Thorne took over ,rum was still issued by the chief steward on a saturday morning at sea,often wondered if it was discontinued on white crew ships after 1954.

jim
No still getting our tot in 60s on tankers I used to swop mine for cordial, did not drink when 16 year old.

Now well

Ray