S.S. Camito - Ships Nostalgia
14:41

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

S.S. Camito

Old 29th August 2011, 13:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1966

S.S. Camito

I wonder if anyone has any memories that they can share of the S.S.Camito in the early 1960's I did three voyages to Jamaica on board as a junior engineer, my last trip was in May 1964 and the master was I think a Capt. Alan Thomson.
I also served briefly on the Changuinola and Chicanoa making trips to Jamaica and the Cameroons.
I was a junior engineer at the time and remember fellow juniors Leachy, Graham and Clabby among others.
Old 29th August 2011, 23:51

My location
hi aybar, what years was u on the skin boats
cheers
terry
Old 30th August 2011, 02:05
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybar View Post
I wonder if anyone has any memories that they can share of the S.S.Camito in the early 1960's I did three voyages to Jamaica on board as a junior engineer, my last trip was in May 1964 and the master was I think a Capt. Alan Thomson.
I also served briefly on the Changuinola and Chicanoa making trips to Jamaica and the Cameroons.
I was a junior engineer at the time and remember fellow juniors Leachy, Graham and Clabby among others.
Check out the E/F thread,you may find some old shipmate there.

John
Old 30th August 2011, 21:01

thanks john

I have begun to read through the information on the site and have enjoyed it very much so far. I was only in the Merchant Navy for 12 months myself but still remember it fondly and feel very much at home with the chat as my dad was at sea for nearlly 50 years.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:15

Thank you for your interest Terry,

I did three consecutive trips on the Camito as a junior engineer, from March to May in 1965, I know this as I have still got the Farewell Dinner Menu's, and I dont think I have seen any better fare since. We were certainly well looked after in those days.

Aybar
Old 30th August 2011, 21:40

My location
cheers aybar
terry
Old 4th September 2011, 19:01

Quote:
aybar, that was probably Capt. Archie Thompson, was Howard Davies on the Camito at that time, it would be somewhere in that time frame, he maybe 4th or on the fridges. She was a good ship with a good crew, one of the best feeders I was EVER on. Big Mac
Old 4th September 2011, 21:11

Hi A.J.M.

It only has the initial A. on the Dinner Menu's that I have kept and I could not say for certain that it was Archie but probably was as you say. I remember the Chief Engineer, Jock Burns, the 3'rd hailed from Tyneside he was a keen Winter Sports enthusiast, definately on the wrong ships. Two of the engine room staff came from Sheffield and one of them was the 4th, called himself Peachy, reconed he was Mario Lanza's double and could eat his way through the full dinner menu, what claims to fame!! , most of the others were from Liverpool, including the fridge engineer , he was a dyed in the wool Evertonian and a great fun character, one among many, on the good ship Camito.

Aybar
Old 2nd November 2011, 20:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1973

Question Jeffbloke1

Camito was my first ship as deck cadet Aug 68. Did 6 trips. Anyone got a photo of her?
Bosuns' mate nicknamed 'Tarzan' married a girl from Port Antonio.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:14

My location
ss camito

Quote:
Hi A.J.M.
only has the initial A. on the Dinner Menu's that I have kept and I could not say for certain that it was Archie but probably was as you say. I remember the Chief Engineer, Jock Burns, the 3'rd hailed from Tyneside he was a keen Winter Sports enthusiast, definately on the wrong ships. Two of the engine room staff came from Sheffield and one of them was the 4th, called himself Peachy, reconed he was Mario Lanza's double and could eat his way through the full dinner menu, what claims to fame!! , most of the others were from Liverpool, including the fridge engineer , he was a dyed in the wool Evertonian and a great fun character, one among many, on the good ship Camito.

Aybar
the engineer was maybe ken peach who enjoyed a few sherbets and the fridgie was probably ernie whitehead a mad scouser and a great bloke,think ernie could have been a leckie though regards rob mcbride e.d.h. on camito around the same time as you
Old 4th November 2011, 10:16

My location
tarzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbloke1 View Post
Camito was my first ship as deck cadet Aug 68. Did 6 trips. Anyone got a photo of her?
Bosuns' mate nicknamed 'Tarzan' married a girl from Port Antonio.
bosun was billy hendry and bosuns mate was frankie hunter regards rob mcbride
Old 20th November 2011, 13:29
Active: 1961 - 1963

Quote:
Thank you for your interest Terry,

I did three consecutive trips on the Camito as a junior engineer, from March to May in 1965, I know this as I have still got the Farewell Dinner Menu's, and I dont think I have seen any better fare since. We were certainly well looked after in those days.

Aybar
Hi Aybar
I was a J/E on the CAMITO from March 1962 til Feb 1963. Fare was
brilliant, I especially remember the Lancashire hotpot & the breakfasts, so appeciated after the 4-8 watch.

Last edited by richard mathieson : 20th November 2011 at 13:36.
Old 22nd January 2012, 19:18

Camito relaxing in main lounge

I wonder how many of these fine men still have a full set of their own teeth. This was taken 1959-60. Any one put names to any of them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camito Off Duty.jpg (120.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1982

Tarzan

Billy Hendry was Bosuns mate when I sailed on the Camito. Done a few trips in 68 as a deckhand. Attached is a picture of Billy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lee early years_0029.jpg (102.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Lee Jones : 23rd February 2012 at 13:40.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:21
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Check out the E/F thread,you may find some old shipmate there.

John
Hi John,
I too was a junior engineer on the Camito in the early 60's, Jock Burns was the chief and the third engineer was Bill Rankin. I was his junior. We became best friends despite the lofty position occupied by a third to my being a junior. Bill emigrated to Canada and we lost touch. A pitty as I thought a lot of him. I do have a slide of myself in the engine room plus a few other shots which I will see if I can find.
I recall one evening having a concert in the main saloon, we had somebody from the magic circle, a super pianist after the style of Winifred Atwell (ask your dad) and I played my clarinet. We also had some army captains onboard who were dentists, going to Jamaica where the Royal Hampshires were building a railway for the Jamaican government. I became involved with the C.O's daughter so if you ever read this Patsy, best wishes.We played a lot of deck cricket if I remember, over the wall was out and up on the next deck was a six. We had a fireman called Joe Golding who was murdered by someone called Nobby Clark, he was pushed down the garbage shoot and would have gone right into the props. Although we all knew who had done it we didn't say anything and Clark was arrested at Southampton. I was invited to a party at the Harbour Masters house and I went resplendent in number 10's, when I got there everybody was in very loud shirts and shorts. I was somewhat overdressed. The donkey man was an Australian named Miller, a big blond bugger naturally christened "Dusty" he would never have his photograph taken and the story was that he was wanted in Aus. From the Camito I went to Canadian Pacific on their flagship the "Empress of Canada" and when she was sold I left the sea and joined Shell. Happily now retired and enjoying life.
Old 24th February 2012, 09:25
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.McMahon View Post
I wonder how many of these fine men still have a full set of their own teeth. This was taken 1959-60. Any one put names to any of them?
The one on the extreme left is Howard Dean. As that's me I can confirm it. Afraid some teeth missing however.

Last edited by Howard Dean : 24th February 2012 at 10:46.
Old 20th March 2012, 21:14

photo

hi howard

that was an interesting read, i wonder if the the guy on the left wing in the photo who looks familiar to me is the 3rd or 4th engineer, he came from newcastle, and I think his name was bob, this might jog the old memory as i realise it was some time ago now, but he was a real sound guy and good company,

aybar