old shipmates - Ships Nostalgia
22:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

old shipmates

Old 6th September 2011, 19:01
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
old shipmates

this ones for the west coast boys.wondered if you could help me.i got a transfer to greenock when rosyth got the elbow.served there for a year before taking ma money and went to work for rms back at rosyth.[i couldnt hack the traveling.2 to 3 hours driving every day].i really enjoyed masel at the great harbour and met some great characters.i was mainly on the tender felstead[not sure o spelling] anyone know mick o,conner [mbe], martin curtis,or big archie the ab/cook.jusy wondered if they were still on boats or not.chris hughes,stevie haldane,colin erskine,greg harper,alec laird[jr],kevin whyte,davie ferrier,[all ex rosyth].
Old 11th September 2011, 21:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - Present

Colin Erskin was on one of the new fleet tenders when I left Greenock back in March 2011, think he missed the mooring boats and NEWTON but thats the way things have gone ...... not many boats left now so no jobs!
Old 14th September 2011, 19:52

My location
i never even knew he was on newton slowone.i got sub-contracted out to salmoor about 10 years ago and colin was aboard so i just assumed that he was still there.im obviously out of date wi my info.you now have NEW fleet tenders ! what was wrong wi the old ones ?ps did i ever sail with you on salmaster ?
Old 17th September 2011, 15:16
Waighty Waighty is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
this ones for the west coast boys.wondered if you could help me.i got a transfer to greenock when rosyth got the elbow.served there for a year before taking ma money and went to work for rms back at rosyth.[i couldnt hack the traveling.2 to 3 hours driving every day].i really enjoyed masel at the great harbour and met some great characters.i was mainly on the tender felstead[not sure o spelling] anyone know mick o,conner [mbe], martin curtis,or big archie the ab/cook.jusy wondered if they were still on boats or not.chris hughes,stevie haldane,colin erskine,greg harper,alec laird[jr],kevin whyte,davie ferrier,[all ex rosyth].
Roo, I think Alisatair Fraser (now in charge of tugs in Aussie) might know where Davy Ferrier is and what he does these days. Al works for Svitzer Australia if you can get an email address from their website. If I find an email address I'll let you know.

By the way, see my comments in the gallery where you asked about SD Victoria.

Cheers, you'll be watching the Pars today then?
Old 17th September 2011, 19:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Roo, I think Alisatair Fraser (now in charge of tugs in Aussie) might know where Davy Ferrier is and what he does these days. Al works for Svitzer Australia if you can get an email address from their website. If I find an email address I'll let you know.

By the way, see my comments in the gallery where you asked about SD Victoria.

Cheers, you'll be watching the Pars today then?
i would have watched them but i was on deerhound from o8oo hrs til 1800.another free saturday bites the dust.lol
Old 20th September 2011, 22:07

Quote:
i would have watched them but i was on deerhound from o8oo hrs til 1800.another free saturday bites the dust.lol
My son's a Pars addict and even though he stays in London always manages to find a pub showing a Pars game. He took off north a few months back to see the Pars, Raith derby. Definitely dedicated!

Is Willie Milne still involved with RMS?
Old 21st September 2011, 09:23

Quote:
Ref Felsted

Mick O' Conner's retired now, big Archie also retired.

M Curtis, Chris Hughes jnr, A Laird jnr, big Greg, C Erskine still at Great Harbour, or what's left of it. Not sure about Stevie Haldane.

Kevin White out and Davie Ferrier out. Davie is out in Sharjah, UAE working as a Training Superintendant for Lamnalco.

Hope this helps (from a West Coaster)
Old 21st September 2011, 16:44
Department: Engineering

Hi roo, sorry I can't place you from your sign on. Yes I was on Salmaster with Willie Miller, took over from Big Bev. Left Rosyth in 1990ish and went to Bath.
Regarding the Fleet Tenders the old ones you knew are all out in the commercial world now earning a living even though the MoD said they were no good. Look at Serco Marine Services site and you will see a load of boats are up for sail, including the new tenders.
Old 25th September 2011, 12:23

My location
Quote:
My son's a Pars addict and even though he stays in London always manages to find a pub showing a Pars game. He took off north a few months back to see the Pars, Raith derby. Definitely dedicated!

Is Willie Milne still involved with RMS?
ye definately need to be dedicated to be a pars fan mike.were scorin plenty o goals this season but were letting them in at an alarming rate at the other end. yes , willie is still with us.hes our ops manager but he still pilots and drives the dogs when needed.
Old 25th September 2011, 13:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowone View Post
Hi roo, sorry I can't place you from your sign on. Yes I was on Salmaster with Willie Miller, took over from Big Bev. Left Rosyth in 1990ish and went to Bath.
Regarding the Fleet Tenders the old ones you knew are all out in the commercial world now earning a living even though the MoD said they were no good. Look at Serco Marine Services site and you will see a load of boats are up for sail, including the new tenders.
yep . i know you then cos i was aboard during that era.i was the young guy[not anymore] wi the long hair [not any more] who drove the gemini.your er/s were dunc gillanders,dougie harper,and a tall guy wi ginger hair called davie.i remember davie langlands was chief for a wee while too.will milne was skipper,bob sutherland was mate,davie castle [rip]was caterer,vince cullen was steward,bobby cardi [rip] was cook.[replaced by billy hume the mad irishman].terry morris was bosun and bobby barr [black bob] was leading seaman.big ian dredge drove the crane.and there was loads more came and went.too many to list over the years.regarding fleet tenders, i tend to agree wi you.they were great wee boats that could be used for almost any purpose.which is probably why they have all been snapped up by commercial companys.
Old 25th September 2011, 13:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe732 View Post
Ref Felsted

Mick O' Conner's retired now, big Archie also retired.

M Curtis, Chris Hughes jnr, A Laird jnr, big Greg, C Erskine still at Great Harbour, or what's left of it. Not sure about Stevie Haldane.

Kevin White out and Davie Ferrier out. Davie is out in Sharjah, UAE working as a Training Superintendant for Lamnalco.

Hope this helps (from a West Coaster)
thanks joe 732.i take it by that statement that the great harbours been hit pretty hard then.its a bloody sin the way the **** got ripped out o that job.davies in the uae ! how did that come about?he was a junior officer when i left.but i always thought that he would go far.[didnt expect that far though].i heard that gerry furze was on the west coast as well recently.m curtis was my drinking buddy when we went away on fleet tenders.il have to look up lamnalco.[never heard o them].and big archie was one o them guys [theres one in every port], that got on wi everyone.really nice guy.and mick kept us going with sea stories [all the time lol].
thanks again.
roo.[eastie beastie]
Old 25th September 2011, 16:02

Quote:
thanks joe 732.i take it by that statement that the great harbours been hit pretty hard then.its a bloody sin the way the **** got ripped out o that job.davies in the uae ! how did that come about?he was a junior officer when i left.but i always thought that he would go far.[didnt expect that far though].i heard that gerry furze was on the west coast as well recently.m curtis was my drinking buddy when we went away on fleet tenders.il have to look up lamnalco.[never heard o them].and big archie was one o them guys [theres one in every port], that got on wi everyone.really nice guy.and mick kept us going with sea stories [all the time lol].
thanks again.
roo.[eastie beastie]
TBH, the Great Harbour is still there, but how long for, they aren't telling anyone.
The only ones' that don't seem to be under the threat of redundancy are the management.
Still, there would be no one left to fcuk up the contract if some of them went and they've been doing a pretty decent job of it up to now.
Maybe big Archie bankrupted them with his eating
How did Davie end up in UAE? Probably because another company spotted his potential more than Serco Denholm, or Serco Ltd, or whatever name they've dreamed up for themself this week.
Gerry's still through this neck of the woods, but not with Serco, obviously another one that's seen the light.

Joe
Old 27th September 2011, 20:09

My location
Quote:
TBH, the Great Harbour is still there, but how long for, they aren't telling anyone.
The only ones' that don't seem to be under the threat of redundancy are the management.
Still, there would be no one left to fcuk up the contract if some of them went and they've been doing a pretty decent job of it up to now.
Maybe big Archie bankrupted them with his eating
How did Davie end up in UAE? Probably because another company spotted his potential more than Serco Denholm, or Serco Ltd, or whatever name they've dreamed up for themself this week.
Gerry's still through this neck of the woods, but not with Serco, obviously another one that's seen the light.

Joe
aye ! as usual . its the boys at the coal face that get the shaft.management just get moved on to bigger things[with bigger money]. things havent changed that much in that respect over the years then.i used to bring in a chicken & mushroom pot noodle every day when i was at great harbour[never had one since.bloody scunnered masel wi them]. but i never used the sachet o soy sauce[us rosyth boys take oor pot noodles neat ye ken] ,anyway , archie was always on hand to take the sachet off me as he would stick them in a wee locker on the boat[felsted].;they,l come in handy the next time i make a stew or a curry or anything like that;.by the time i had had enough o rmas and took ma money he had about 200 of the bloody things.

Last edited by roofaerosyth : 27th September 2011 at 20:12.
Old 27th September 2011, 21:57

Quote:

but i never used the sachet o soy sauce[us rosyth boys take oor pot noodles neat ye ken] ,anyway , archie was always on hand to take the sachet off me as he would stick them in a wee locker on the boat[felsted].;they,l come in handy the next time i make a stew or a curry or anything like that;.by the time i had had enough o rmas and took ma money he had about 200 of the bloody things.
Don't believe you'r a real Rosyth boy, otherwise you would have sold him the soy sauce sachets!!
Old 30th September 2011, 17:22

My location
Quote:
Don't believe you'r a real Rosyth boy, otherwise you would have sold him the soy sauce sachets!!
ah ! , youve obviously heard the stories about east coast boys being a bit tight wi money.well i can tell you now that its totally true.i once dropped a fifty pence piece and it hit me on the back o the heid. ive still got the scar to prove it. lol.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:15

Quote:
yep . i know you then cos i was aboard during that era.i was the young guy[not anymore] wi the long hair [not any more] who drove the gemini.your er/s were dunc gillanders,dougie harper,and a tall guy wi ginger hair called davie.i remember davie langlands was chief for a wee while too.will milne was skipper,bob sutherland was mate,davie castle [rip]was caterer,vince cullen was steward,bobby cardi [rip] was cook.[replaced by billy hume the mad irishman].terry morris was bosun and bobby barr [black bob] was leading seaman.big ian dredge drove the crane.and there was loads more came and went.too many to list over the years.regarding fleet tenders, i tend to agree wi you.they were great wee boats that could be used for almost any purpose.which is probably why they have all been snapped up by commercial companys.
Hi Roo,

After reading the above I now remember you! My brain's a bit ancient these days so it's not always easy to recall stuff. Thanks for letting me know about Willie Milne. My regards to him and Bobby Sutherland. I was sorry to hear about Bobby Cardy and Davy Castle. I guess Terry Morrice is well retired now. What's Vince Cullen doing these days? I heard that Ian Dredge had crossed the bar, is that true? I mind Bobby Barr too. He was the cox'n on the workboat when we were on Kinloss and doing PEPs moorings in the Humber. It's the only time I've been aground on a workboat, just off Grimsby!

All the best mate,

Mike

Say hello to the guys for me.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:48

Quote:
ah ! , youve obviously heard the stories about east coast boys being a bit tight wi money.well i can tell you now that its totally true.i once dropped a fifty pence piece and it hit me on the back o the heid. ive still got the scar to prove it. lol.
Ha Ha
Best one I heard from an east coast boy was telling me about him getting his house fitted with triple glazing. Said it stopped the weans hearing the ice cream van chimes.lol.
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:06

My location
Quote:
Hi Roo,

After reading the above I now remember you! My brain's a bit ancient these days so it's not always easy to recall stuff. Thanks for letting me know about Willie Milne. My regards to him and Bobby Sutherland. I was sorry to hear about Bobby Cardy and Davy Castle. I guess Terry Morrice is well retired now. What's Vince Cullen doing these days? I heard that Ian Dredge had crossed the bar, is that true? I mind Bobby Barr too. He was the cox'n on the workboat when we were on Kinloss and doing PEPs moorings in the Humber. It's the only time I've been aground on a workboat, just off Grimsby!

All the best mate,

Mike

Say hello to the guys for me.
yeah terrys retired but vince still works beside me on the 2 dogs.dont know if ian has crossed but il find out and get back to you.bobby barr is a bus driver for stagecoach these days. i hope his driving has improved..dont worry about the old grey matter in yer head letting ye down.were all getting older.it happens.im not as switched on as i used to be[which wasnt much ].i seem to remember you skippered salmaster one time while willie was on leave for that bloody awfull trial we used to do every year up off iceland.and i picked ye up in my motor to bring ye in that morning for some reason.you lived not far from the main mail sorting office.or is my brain malfunctioning ?

Last edited by roofaerosyth : 2nd October 2011 at 14:20.
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:09

My location
Quote:
Ha Ha
Best one I heard from an east coast boy was telling me about him getting his house fitted with triple glazing. Said it stopped the weans hearing the ice cream van chimes.lol.
its a little known fact that copper wire was accidently invented by two eastie beasties fighting over a penny.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:56

Quote:
yeah terrys retired but vince still works beside me on the 2 dogs.dont know if ian has crossed but il find out and get back to you.bobby barr is a bus driver for stagecoach these days. i hope his driving has improved..dont worry about the old grey matter in yer head letting ye down.were all getting older.it happens.im not as switched on as i used to be[which wasnt much ].i seem to remember you skippered salmaster one time while willie was on leave for that bloody awfull trial we used to do every year up off iceland.and i picked ye up in my motor to bring ye in that morning for some reason.you lived not far from the main mail sorting office.or is my brain malfunctioning ?
Hello to Vince then. Has he seen the photo in the galleries of him on the Cairn as a young man? At least Bobby Barr won't put a bus aground!! Yeah I remember that trial we used to do - called a JMC I think (joint maritime course). We had to put into Stonorway to land a DRA guy who'd crushed his hand. I know the lads got upset because I wouldn't go alongside! I also remember Big Colin asking me why we were going out to sea in that force 11 gale! I can't remember if you picked me up or not, I stayed at the back of Asda then, the old one, I was just off Woodmill Road.
Old 14th October 2011, 16:03

My location
Quote:
Hello to Vince then. Has he seen the photo in the galleries of him on the Cairn as a young man? At least Bobby Barr won't put a bus aground!! Yeah I remember that trial we used to do - called a JMC I think (joint maritime course). We had to put into Stonorway to land a DRA guy who'd crushed his hand. I know the lads got upset because I wouldn't go alongside! I also remember Big Colin asking me why we were going out to sea in that force 11 gale! I can't remember if you picked me up or not, I stayed at the back of Asda then, the old one, I was just off Woodmill Road.
yeah hes seen them.thats right then . i did pick ye up for some reason .am i right in sayin that we anchored just outside the harbour?
Old 20th November 2011, 20:12

My location
mr curtis

Quote:
Ha Ha
did i see martin curtis on tv a few years back hitching a lift to somewhere abroad to have a holiday on one o those converted fleet tenders? and they say east coasters are tight.lol.
Old 20th November 2011, 20:34

Quote:
did i see martin curtis on tv a few years back hitching a lift to somewhere abroad to have a holiday on one o those converted fleet tenders? and they say east coasters are tight.lol.
Yep, you couldn't mistake that mug for anyone else.
Old 20th November 2011, 22:39

My location
Quote:
Yep, you couldn't mistake that mug for anyone else.
how many boats does the great harbour still have joe? there used to be 6 or 7 fleet tenders,2 trvs , 2 sals, lodestone ,waterman and an oil boat.and various wee boats too.just how much has the place been run down.thanx again. roo.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:11

Quote:
how many boats does the great harbour still have joe? there used to be 6 or 7 fleet tenders,2 trvs , 2 sals, lodestone ,waterman and an oil boat.and various wee boats too.just how much has the place been run down.thanx again. roo.
Roo

I don't work there any more, saw the light and moved to pastures new.

Definately 2 of the newer fleet tenders are still there ( well about 10-11 years old) and various other scrap heaps in various shades of repair or disrepair depending on Serco's mood at the time.

The oilpress and waterman were supposed to have been replaced by dumb barges, Oilpress is on bareboat charter down in Harwich, no Serco punters on it though.

Lodestone was well sold, years ago, think it's been converted to a private yacht now.

SD Eva is Adamants replacement.

Sorry I can't help you any more with names of what's left, as I said, I don't even think Serco know what their doing with whats left.

Think one of the Salboats is well dented after they used it for tug training.

Made me laugh when they renamed all their vessels with the SD prefix as in Serco Denholm.

They then dropped the Denholm connection and became just Serco Ltd.

All the boats still called SD.