nosira ships - Ships Nostalgia
05:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

nosira ships

Old 17th October 2011, 14:14

nosira ships

is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years
Old 17th October 2011, 20:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years
I was on the building team for these ships. For the first one, Lin, I had over 600 guarantee defects, there was a condition of class on her crankshaft before she did her maiden voyage and the first cargo was suggested as being 30,000 ton of pipe brackets as she vibrated so bad. This was partially cured by installing an electronically governed balancing unit in the steering flat. I can explain it more but it would take ages.....

Ugly, uncomfortable ships at best.....
Old 18th October 2011, 22:05

yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs
Old 7th January 2012, 23:20
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1982 - 2000

I was on both the Lin and the Madeleine ..some good times, some not. I'm looking for a port name from the Lin trip, the dates were from November 87 to May 88. One of the Southern Pacific Islands. I've a feeling it was in Fiji, but other than that my memory fails me....anyone help?
Old 13th January 2012, 19:37

My location
Was long gone by then. Actually though for the best part of '89 I was on a 500 ton specialized reefer scooting around all the Islands picking up tuna from Korean long liners and Islander pole boats. Rotuma Island and Fijian crew...stopped every Sunday for a church service on deck. Strange times.....
Old 7th July 2012, 17:43
Active: 1980 - 1990

I sailed on the Lin sometime in the mid-eighties... Canadian Lakes.. Great run.
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemec2004 View Post
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.
Its ironic that his (Arison-Nosira) other ships were Carnival Cruises
Old 29th August 2012, 17:57

My location
Quote:
Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...
Old 29th August 2012, 20:22
Active: 1980 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J. Huckin View Post
Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...
Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!
Old 30th August 2012, 12:37

Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.
Old 30th August 2012, 14:02

I usually find that a good/bad feeder is down to the Chief Thief or tucker fuker

Last edited by A.D.FROST : 30th August 2012 at 14:18.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:53

My location
Quote:
Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!
After sailing for four years on early 50's built Doxford engined Ore Carriers I went and stood by building Rossetti (longest trip 22 months) Reynolds and Rubens and they were as good as any bulker in those days. Reynolds was the partyingest ship EVER!!!!

However, your point about the Nosira ships is well taken. I stood by building Lin and Sharon and they were the pits...read my earlier comments. Generally 6 on 2 off (on pay) then after about 14 years I went foreign flag usually 8 on and 3 or 4 off depending on how the money lasted. Best feeders were SSM worst was a 500 ton reefer trading around the Pacific Islands. Well the food was good but it was what we caught from the sea or bought at local markets ourselves. The company just paid a huge amount of money and you looked after yourselves!!!

Nothing even approaches how much fun I had in eight years of trading up the Lakes with Boltons and other outfits....bliss!!!!
Old 4th September 2012, 21:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.
I remember Dave, I was 2/eng on that voyage....bloody rattle trap ship.....
Old 5th September 2012, 07:14

I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.
Old 5th September 2012, 15:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.
As long as he does not remember the aweful mischief me and Richie Avenin (Mate) got into up in Duluth
Old 7th November 2013, 05:45
Department: Deck
Active: 1983 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs
nomad I was on this ship at this time was my first trip to sea don't know if you remember my name was findus
Old 11th November 2013, 00:56

remember you? I was the one that gave you that name lol I sent you a private message