nosira ships - Ships Nostalgia
05:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

nosira ships

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 17th October 2011, 14:14
nomad nomad is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26
nosira ships

is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17th October 2011, 20:23
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years
I was on the building team for these ships. For the first one, Lin, I had over 600 guarantee defects, there was a condition of class on her crankshaft before she did her maiden voyage and the first cargo was suggested as being 30,000 ton of pipe brackets as she vibrated so bad. This was partially cured by installing an electronically governed balancing unit in the steering flat. I can explain it more but it would take ages.....

Ugly, uncomfortable ships at best.....
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18th October 2011, 22:05
nomad nomad is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 7th January 2012, 23:20
andyburn andyburn is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1982 - 2000
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 65
I was on both the Lin and the Madeleine ..some good times, some not. I'm looking for a port name from the Lin trip, the dates were from November 87 to May 88. One of the Southern Pacific Islands. I've a feeling it was in Fiji, but other than that my memory fails me....anyone help?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13th January 2012, 19:37
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Was long gone by then. Actually though for the best part of '89 I was on a 500 ton specialized reefer scooting around all the Islands picking up tuna from Korean long liners and Islander pole boats. Rotuma Island and Fijian crew...stopped every Sunday for a church service on deck. Strange times.....
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 7th July 2012, 17:43
marinemec2004's Avatar
marinemec2004 marinemec2004 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1990
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
I sailed on the Lin sometime in the mid-eighties... Canadian Lakes.. Great run.
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 8th July 2012, 10:59
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemec2004 View Post
I sailed on the Lin sometime in the mid-eighties... Canadian Lakes.. Great run.
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.
Its ironic that his (Arison-Nosira) other ships were Carnival Cruises
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29th August 2012, 17:57
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemec2004 View Post
I sailed on the Lin sometime in the mid-eighties... Canadian Lakes.. Great run.
In 10 years spent in the Merchant Navy, never been on such poor feeders as these ships. Did another one of theirs, the Reynolds! Crap ships, everything done on the cheap.
Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29th August 2012, 20:22
marinemec2004's Avatar
marinemec2004 marinemec2004 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1980 - 1990
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J. Huckin View Post
Hmmm, guess you are being serious after your other comment about the Reynolds...
Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30th August 2012, 12:37
Pat McCardle's Avatar
Pat McCardle Pat McCardle is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,829
Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30th August 2012, 14:02
A.D.FROST's Avatar
A.D.FROST A.D.FROST is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,789
I usually find that a good/bad feeder is down to the Chief Thief or tucker fuker

Last edited by A.D.FROST : 30th August 2012 at 14:18.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 4th September 2012, 21:53
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemec2004 View Post
Ian , only telling it as I found it... I was on the crew side, so maybe it was different for you guys " up top".. You cannot argue that the ships were cheaply made.. The accomodation on the Lin ( for us anyway ) wasnt up to much.
The food, like I said earlier -never ever did I sail on a ship other than the Lin were everything was rationed. Couldn't have been much of a budget.
Like I said though the run up the lakes was superb..
Each to his own.
Also, may only have done 10 years, but 5 of them were with Joe Shell, and every one of them was a minimum of 6 months -how long were YOUR trips. Also, sailed on 25 + year old tankers and enjoyed them more than both of those Bolton trampers!
After sailing for four years on early 50's built Doxford engined Ore Carriers I went and stood by building Rossetti (longest trip 22 months) Reynolds and Rubens and they were as good as any bulker in those days. Reynolds was the partyingest ship EVER!!!!

However, your point about the Nosira ships is well taken. I stood by building Lin and Sharon and they were the pits...read my earlier comments. Generally 6 on 2 off (on pay) then after about 14 years I went foreign flag usually 8 on and 3 or 4 off depending on how the money lasted. Best feeders were SSM worst was a 500 ton reefer trading around the Pacific Islands. Well the food was good but it was what we caught from the sea or bought at local markets ourselves. The company just paid a huge amount of money and you looked after yourselves!!!

Nothing even approaches how much fun I had in eight years of trading up the Lakes with Boltons and other outfits....bliss!!!!
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 4th September 2012, 21:56
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
Just mentioned this to a mate of mine who joined 'Lin' on her maiden tip out of Sunderland. He was a Steward on her, Dave Lisle, he said the food & accommodation was very reasonable.
I remember Dave, I was 2/eng on that voyage....bloody rattle trap ship.....
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 5th September 2012, 07:14
Pat McCardle's Avatar
Pat McCardle Pat McCardle is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,829
I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 5th September 2012, 15:32
Ian J. Huckin's Avatar
Ian J. Huckin Ian J. Huckin is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1994
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
My location
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
I'll mention you to him when I next see him....he's off angling in Norway.
As long as he does not remember the aweful mischief me and Richie Avenin (Mate) got into up in Duluth
__________________
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in, but the holes are small, that's why rain is thin...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 7th November 2013, 05:45
darren23 darren23 is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1983 - Present
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad View Post
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs
nomad I was on this ship at this time was my first trip to sea don't know if you remember my name was findus
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11th November 2013, 00:56
nomad nomad is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26
remember you? I was the one that gave you that name lol I sent you a private message
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ships' Photographers Cruise Ships wing25 Ship Research 4 26th March 2012 19:05
Tall Ships begin Race Four of the Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge shamrock Tall ships 0 1st July 2009 08:15
reefer ships, ships in general , forget the rest chris larkin Say Hello 12 17th April 2009 22:43



Search the net with ask.com
Support SN
Ask.com and get


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.