M.v.flaminian - Ships Nostalgia
18:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

M.v.flaminian

Old 5th November 2011, 17:43

M.v.flaminian

Hi All,
Looking for some help on one of the old Ellerman ships built at the Leith Shipyards of Henry Robb the FLAMINIAN which i have seen some photo's of with damage to her bow it looks as if it may have been a collision but with what i dont know, does anyone of you wise people on this huge source of info have an answer, when/how/date etc, as i would like to feature it on the website at her pages.

www.leithshipyards.com

"Fairline" A line that is pleasing to the eye.
Old 10th April 2012, 17:17

I am interested in a ship called 'Flaminian' I was a Cadet at the School of Navigation Warsash, Southampton in 1949/50 Just before I left I with others of my term, went to Marchwood Military Port, Nr Southampton where we were given pactical cargo-handling construction on board said vessel for one day.. Whether she was the 'Flaminian' that you are referring to or an older vessel with the same name, I don't know. I would be interested if you had any information regarding her.
Old 10th April 2012, 17:47

FLAMINIAN(IV) bt.1956 Henry Robb,Sept.1965 Collided off Gibralter with French tanker FLOREAL.Soc.des Transport Maritimes Petrolliers.(FLAMINIAM set on fire.)1974 r/n CITY OF IZMIR,1975r/nCLIMAX PEARL,1981 r/n MALDIVE PEARL1984 Apr.3 Arr Gandani Beach.
FLAMINIAN (III)bt.1917 1939 taken over by the admirality r/nEMPIRE FLAMINIAN,1946 She ended the war as a Royal Engineers depot ship at Southampton.r/n FLAMINIAN 1950 July 21st. Arr.for scrapping Dover.

Last edited by A.D.FROST : 10th April 2012 at 17:59.
Old 10th April 2012, 19:10

Thank you for the info, it was obviously Flaminian 3 (Empire Flaminian) which us Cadets from Warsash were given instruction and experience in handling cargo for just one day. She was across the other side of Southampton Water at Marchwood Military Port.
Old 18th April 2012, 22:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1960 - 1966

A.D Frost is correct. Flaminian did collide with French tanker Floreal. I was 3rd mate on board (not guilty, not on watch) and collision was on approach to Gibraltar. We spent 6 weeks in Gib for temporary new bow to be fitted at RN dock, then returned to North Shields at 5 knots for permanent new bow. I believe Floreal was able to continue her voyage to France despite being holed and losing some of her crude oil cargo. There were no injuries on Flaminian. I left the sea at the start of containerisation and the beginning of the demise of the British Merchant Navy as we knew it.
Old 23rd April 2012, 20:51

FLAMINIAN New Bow!

Thanks all,
Now have her story on the website.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff1310 View Post
A.D Frost is correct. Flaminian did collide with French tanker Floreal. I was 3rd mate on board (not guilty, not on watch) and collision was on approach to Gibraltar. We spent 6 weeks in Gib for temporary new bow to be fitted at RN dock, then returned to North Shields at 5 knots for permanent new bow. I believe Floreal was able to continue her voyage to France despite being holed and losing some of her crude oil cargo. There were no injuries on Flaminian. I left the sea at the start of containerisation and the beginning of the demise of the British Merchant Navy as we knew it.

www.leithshipyards.com

"Fairline" A line that is pleasing to the eye.