rumours - Ships Nostalgia
11:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

rumours

Old 9th November 2011, 19:31
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1987 - Present

My location
rumours

heard a wee rumour that the sal boats are gettin the heave (again). anyone know if there is any truth in it ? i hope its not. FORGET THAT. out of date info.just ignore me.il have to sack my research assistant.lol

Last edited by roofaerosyth : 10th November 2011 at 05:25. Reason: out of date info
Old 12th November 2011, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofaerosyth View Post
heard a wee rumour that the sal boats are gettin the heave (again). anyone know if there is any truth in it ? i hope its not. FORGET THAT. out of date info.just ignore me.il have to sack my research assistant.lol

Not sure it is out of date - SALMOOR is listed in Serco's sale or charter. But SALMAID is not listed by them in either the sale or charter list or the charter only list.

RetiredPMSO
Old 13th November 2011, 14:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredPMSO View Post
Not sure it is out of date - SALMOOR is listed in Serco's sale or charter. But SALMAID is not listed by them in either the sale or charter list or the charter only list.

RetiredPMSO
aah ! the plot thickens.in that case , if both boats do go how would they do mooring work?sub contract the work out .use other less capable boats , or do they just not want that side of the job any more(cut costs).
Old 13th November 2011, 16:28

Serco cannot ditch the task as its part of the contract, however within their bid they did intend to use Briggs as a sub contractor for some mooring work.
Old 13th November 2011, 22:13

My location
Quote:
Serco cannot ditch the task as its part of the contract, however within their bid they did intend to use Briggs as a sub contractor for some mooring work.
ah. well, dont know if you are aware but i recently transferred under TUPE from my old employer (rosyth marine services), to briggs marine.so il see what i can find out on the subject and get back to ye.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:56

Quote:

RetiredPMSO
According to sources, SALMAID suffered a lot a steel whilst damage
whilst being used for tug training. So muchso it was deemed not tobe cost effective to repair her, thus she has lapsed from class and has been laid up pending sale.

The new tug drivers must have certainly bashed her around a bit!
Old 15th November 2011, 19:06

My location
hmm !

excuse my cynicism (and my spelling), but that sounds very convienient and not a very well thought out excuse.(surely someone has pictures they can post of the damage she sustained)which would prove me wrong .but is it not also true that these boats are(and always were), a big drain on the coffers.makes ye wonder.
Old 15th November 2011, 23:59

My location
Quote:
excuse my cynicism (and my spelling), but that sounds very convienient and not a very well thought out excuse.(surely someone has pictures they can post of the damage she sustained)which would prove me wrong .but is it not also true that these boats are(and always were), a big drain on the coffers.makes ye wonder.
excuse my ignorance but wot does pmso stand for? been racking ma brain but ive no idea.im gonna kick masel when ye tell me.lol. cheers.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:15

Quote:
excuse my ignorance but wot does pmso stand for? been racking ma brain but ive no idea.im gonna kick masel when ye tell me.lol. cheers.
Principal Marine Services Officer
Old 16th November 2011, 23:16

My location
were you ever in rosyth if ye dont mind me asking?what do you think of my theory on the subject o the sal boat?dont get me wrong,i loved working on salmaster(also goosander and cameron).but as far back as 1989 when i first joined salmaster , we were hearing stories about the powers that be wanting rid of sal boats as they cost too much.or am i barking up the wrong tree?
Old 17th November 2011, 14:20

Quote:
were you ever in rosyth if ye dont mind me asking?what do you think of my theory on the subject o the sal boat?dont get me wrong,i loved working on salmaster(also goosander and cameron).but as far back as 1989 when i first joined salmaster , we were hearing stories about the powers that be wanting rid of sal boats as they cost too much.or am i barking up the wrong tree?
Visted but did not serve, Devonport (NEWTON, WHTEHEAD, TYPHOON) and then Bath.

Re SAL class you must remember Serco are in it too make a profit so all sorts of factors would come into play.
Old 17th November 2011, 17:32

My location
true.i never thought of it that way.im probably a wee bit blinkered by my fond memories o the mooring boats as well.and very fond memories o the money i was making as well.which always helped.lol.any idea what the manning levels for sal class are these days? in my day it was 18.2 deck off/2 eng off/1 sparky/3 catering/3 stokers/1 bosun/1 leading seaman/and 6 abs.and if we were going away for any length o time we got an extra deck officer and an extra eng officer so that made 20.i dont suppose its anything like that these days.lol.