Days Of Trident Tankers ---ardlui & British Architect - Ships Nostalgia
12:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Days Of Trident Tankers ---ardlui & British Architect

Old 23rd November 2011, 06:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1986

Days Of Trident Tankers ---ardlui & British Architect

Hi Everyone!
Does anyone remember this incident back in 1970 ish? British Architect was tank cleaning in South China Sea off Philippines and she was struck by lightning. Her main deck was ripped apart in the resultant explosion! Ardlui was in the vicinity and rescued the crew!
Ardlui was in ballast and had sailed from Builders Yard in Japan on her maiden trip towards AG. Captain Cedric Ducker was the Master!
It was my last trip a Deck Cadet at the time!

Any info or photos would be great.
Regards, Mike.
Old 25th April 2013, 12:12

The only thing I can remember about that incident involved the recovery of the ship, in itself a complex matter as I have a feeling she had been signed off as salvage.
The heresay (yarn?) that I recall was that the dashing chief engineering supt and ex spitfire pilot chartered a plane to view the ship to assess the damage and when the pilot wouldn't (or couldn't) get close enough yer man took the controls and made a really low pass.
At subsequent inaugurations of eng cadets he would recount this tale along with his spitfire exploits and on one occasion the dialogue dried up and a spotty oick from the floor piped up "tell us about the spitfires again".
Which went up like a lead balloon.
As I say hearsay, you might get a more informative answer if you asked on the british tankers section.
Old 20th November 2013, 00:28

I realise that this is a very old post, however, Captain Ducker is my Grandad, so I have a lot of photographs and information about what happened if you are still interested.
Old 20th November 2013, 10:22
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings SSS and welcome to SN. We are always interested in maritime matters. Bon voyage.
Old 11th February 2014, 22:30

Sparks

I've just noticed this post and I am happy to report that, yes, I recall this tanker explosion very well. My dad was the Radio Officer who called in the Mayday from the British Architect. He had many stories to tell of the explosion and indeed the rescue. The only photograph I have ever seen of the ship was a great front page photograph which was published on a Chinese newspaper after the explosion happened. There was a huge gap where the centre ship had been. Unfortunately the paper is long gone. I would love to hear more or see any photographs of the British Architect.
Old 12th February 2014, 20:41
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Kelly12345

Try searching this Gallery. Here is one of her being repaired+

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...hitect/cat/503