Homemade entertainment on board - Ships Nostalgia
14:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Homemade entertainment on board

Old 30th November 2011, 17:18

Homemade entertainment on board

Did any of you sail with creative entertainers?
We were to be at sea for Christmas 1979 and decided to make our own instruments to play in the bar.
The 2/O (Gordon Head, used to be in the Liverpool City Stompers) was a fine guitarist so made a harp.
Mick the 3/eng made a flute from a cooler tube (raised eye-brow from the C/eng, Davy Carr)
R/O "Yank" played the whiskey jugs.
I made a skiffle bass out of the tea-chest the engine-room rags came in and used indicator card cord for the string (another raised eyebrow from C/eng).
We could knock out a half decent "Danny Boy", "Annie's Song" and a bunch of Christmas tunes by the time we were done.
It's always stuck in my mind.
Highlight of the day was seeing a dozen grown men cry when we opened gift boxes from the school kids in Brownsville, Texas. We had all received a letter and presents on Christmas day. So thoughtful.
Bill
Old 30th November 2011, 20:36
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Bill
You have posted this in Shaw Savill but what ship were you on please?
Old 1st December 2011, 03:47

Hi Paul,
I was a "Slow Starvation & Agony" cadet from 75-79, sailing in Malvern Prince, Chilton Prince, Orduna & Laurentic. Promoted to Junior Engr on latter then let go with the mass exodus and moved to Bibby Bros for a couple of years. This was actually on the Wiltshire with Bibby Bros and I didn't realize I'd posted it in a SS&A thread.
More in my profile.
Bill
Old 1st December 2011, 08:51
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1960

Pacific Northwest - 2nd. mate & I played guitar, 3rd. mate the accordian, and someone else on the tea chest base. Played a lot of skiffle, but did play at a dance at the New Westminster Flying Angel one night. Afterwards, one of our bunch had the bright idea to turn up at the local radio station (CKNW - still in existence) and play there. There wouldn't even let us in the door, but when we spilled back out onto Columbia Avenue we set up on the sidewalk. About 1:00 a.m. by now, but a taxi pulled over, held his microphone out of the window, and got us patched in to the rest of the fleet --- so we did get to play on the radio for a short time anyway. (No - down boys - not that kind of short time - there wasn't a girl in sight.)
Old 1st December 2011, 09:01
Wire Puller
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
We used to play music over the PA from the bridge on one BP tanker I was on. Saturday lunchtimes as I recall. Anyone could put in a request and supply the required track from their own music collection. The Captain was dead keen on it. It was a very primitive system involving a handheld mic' held over a compaq disc tape recorder. Happy days....
Old 1st December 2011, 10:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwoodwardart View Post
Hi Paul,
I was a "Slow Starvation & Agony" cadet from 75-79, sailing in Malvern Prince, Chilton Prince, Orduna & Laurentic. Promoted to Junior Engr on latter then let go with the mass exodus and moved to Bibby Bros for a couple of years. This was actually on the Wiltshire with Bibby Bros and I didn't realize I'd posted it in a SS&A thread.
More in my profile.
Bill
OK Bill will leave here in SSA as you have attracted some additional comments.
Old 1st December 2011, 20:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM ALEXANDER View Post
Pacific Northwest - 2nd. mate & I played guitar, 3rd. mate the accordian, and someone else on the tea chest base. Played a lot of skiffle, but did play at a dance at the New Westminster Flying Angel one night. Afterwards, one of our bunch had the bright idea to turn up at the local radio station (CKNW - still in existence) and play there. There wouldn't even let us in the door, but when we spilled back out onto Columbia Avenue we set up on the sidewalk. About 1:00 a.m. by now, but a taxi pulled over, held his microphone out of the window, and got us patched in to the rest of the fleet --- so we did get to play on the radio for a short time anyway. (No - down boys - not that kind of short time - there wasn't a girl in sight.)
I believe I caught one of your practice sessions when you were docked in Astoria in the late 1960s.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgee View Post
OK Bill will leave here in SSA as you have attracted some additional comments.

Paul,
How would a moron go about moving it to the right place? Could a non-moron do it for me?
Bill

Last edited by billwoodwardart : 2nd December 2011 at 14:55. Reason: Me moron
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:47
Super Moderator

Bill
It is doing all right here but probably more of a "Mess Deck" item. I can move if you wish

Regards
Paul