Ships Nostalgia banner

Visit to USA preserved battleship.

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  surfaceblow 
#1 ·
I'm trying to arrange a visit to the USA to include a look round one of the peserved "New Jersy" Class battleships.
Does anyone know if any travel agencies arrange such visits or do I book a holiday and arrange a visit locally?
Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks

#3 ·
The USS New Jersey is preserved and open to the public at her berth in Camden New Jersey. Just to be technically correct the New Jersey is a "Iowa class" battleship named after the lead vessel. By the way the Iowa is slated to come to the port of Los Angeles next year and be perminently preserved there.
The USS Wisconsin, one of the four Iowa Class battleships, is on display at the National Maratime Center in Norfolk, Virginia.
If you want to make the trip, go see the USS Missouri preserved in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Besides the Arizona Memorial next door, Hawaii makes a great vacation.
Most of the ships you can just turn up and board, but they all have their respective web sites which gives you information on times and ticket prices.

John

#4 ·
I'm not aware of any holiday tours designed specifically to visit these ships but you might enjoy a visit to Philadelphia and New York which could include visits to both the battleship New Jersey anchored on the Camden side of the Delaware river across from Philadelphia, and also the aircraft carrier Intrepid in New York. Here are websites for more information:-
http://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/
http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Ray

#7 ·
You could visit the IKEA and have a lite meal it's cafeteria over looks the United States.

The last time I visited the USS Wisconsin in Norfolk you could only wander about the upper decks and look into a few portholes. The rest of the ship is being dehumidified and is sealed tight. There is a navy display in the museum next door and some of the volunteers actually sailed on her.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.