SS Explorer - Ships Nostalgia
03:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SS Explorer

Old 21st December 2011, 22:53
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 2009 - Present

SS Explorer

Anyone here involved with the preservation efforts of the SS Explorer Preservation Society?

Would be interesting to hear how they're getting on. Website for anyone interested
http://ss-explorer.yolasite.com/
Old 27th December 2011, 23:28

Hi Scottish Rover.
Thanks for your interests in the Explorer. I hope I can give you an update of the progress aboard the Explorer.

I am a regular volunteer aboard the Explorer, a committee member, one of the facebook moderators and the above website creator...

We are currently engaged in several projects. These include stripping and rebuilding of the main engine, various re-wiring and electrical upgrades, establishing a pressurised f/w system aboard, painting of the hull, re-rigging of the masts & derricks, interior decorating and upgrades, boiler maintenance and general day-day maintenance. In addition to these labour tasks, we are currently compiling a worklist and work record of tasks completed and also a spares, tools and machinery list for reference purposes.

We are also currently inviting various companies to tender for work aboard the vessel on tasks ranging from dry-docking, to rewiring, re-decking, shot blasting and boiler upgrades. This is with the intention of putting a cost on the project of returning the vessel to an operational standard and will help us realise what we need to raise financially.

In addition to the website, which I am delighted you have found (new proper www.com address to be issued soon) we have two facebook pages which volunteers use to update each other on various tasks on the go and to plan ahead for attendance. These can both be found by logging into facebook and searching for: SS Explorer.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me for any further information or to arrange a visit. I can be reached either directly through the website contact form or through the society's email: ssexplorer@ymail.com

Regards
Simon