Ships Nostalgia banner

Balder London

11K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Che Geldard 
#1 ·
I think I have spelt it correctly did a trip on her before she got took over for the Falklands war anyone got any info or pics Tony,ps it was with a Hull company called Uglands mainly car boats

#12 ·
Hi broady i was on this ship early 80s ithink half the crew his was from hull and grimsby young skipper had his wife and kid aboard bosun was a grimbo loved country music. had a great trip

ken
Hi Ken I canot remember much about the crew and names but I do remember jioning in Abijan with a lad from Hull whose name was Ian Ward if my memory serves me right.I am from Grimsby and I got the job from Hull pool as ours had closed by then and as you say not a bad ship but then it was'nt in the same league as BP where I had come from.

#6 ·
Ken

Ken.

I think that the first two skippers whilst it was with Ugland were Richard Myton and Jim Walmsley, both of who were quite young. Ken Wallace was skipper during the Falklands trip.

I joined as chief mate in October 1979 and was there on and off until August 1982. I had my wife and three year old daughter on board for two of those trips.

I was skipper in late 1983.

The first two trips in 1979/1980 were mostly from Hull and Grimsby because this was where Ugland were based and where they recruited for the car carriers.

Regards,

Larry Collier

#7 ·
larry Collier

Hi larry you jogged my memory a bit.Richard Myton was skipper when i was on her we had a good trip mostly carrying naptha only on her for 4 months as AB. if i remember rightly it was more like a family cruise skipper had his wife and son chief eng had his wife and son and sparky had his wife they'd just got married i think. I got the job from the pool but their office at that time was in whitefrigate in hull as i live there it was quite handy. anyway thanks for the info larry

all the best
ken

#11 ·
Hello,
just writing to ask any of the serving crew members of the Balder London my name is Garry jones but i write on behalf of a dear friend of mine, his name is John Potts 4th engineer and served with her in the late 70s early 80s? My main list of men is as follows Chief Engineer Ken walker,William hamilton,John geldard, 2nd Eng jimmy stone,3rd Eng Rodger hallet, Elec Eng John anderson/Ray gash and mates? John hopes to hear from his friend John anderson as the last he knew he was looking for him in his local pub in Hull and missed him. He tells me great times were had and the crew were just fantastic. Anyone wishing to contact John is welcome to contact me on 07725 723001 or please get in touch via email as John has no access to the internet (YET).

#22 ·
My name is Ché Geldard, I'm the son of John Geldard (Chief Eng). My mother Christine and brother (Christian) had the pleasure of sailing aboard the Balder London and Balder Freighter. Unfortunately, my father died in Spain 2 years ago and Ken Walker passed last year 2020.

It's great to read the memories people had aboard her. I have only very fond memories of my time aboard, the crew were fantastic and we had our own adventures in Nigeria.

#17 ·
Greetings,

Joemcd, I sailed in her a couple of time in her alter-ego as RFA Orangeleaf. Sadly she is now the only one of the class left. Considering what they were designed for they were all very competent ships as RFAs. May I please take a copy of your pictured for the RFA Association website and archive (suitably credited of course).

#21 ·
Hei John,

My name is Ché Geldard, I'm the son of John Geldard (Chief Eng). My mother Christine and brother (Christian) had the pleasure of sailing aboard the Balder London and Balder Freighter. Unfortunately, my father died in Spain 2 years ago and Ken Walker passed last year 2020.

It's great to read the memories people had aboard her. I have only very fond memories of my time aboard, the crew were fantastic and we had our own adventures in Nigeria.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.