Info-pic wanted - Ships Nostalgia
00:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Info-pic wanted

Old 18th January 2006, 20:45

Info-pic wanted

1) Tamahine, ex NLB Fingal. (Prrobably Hong Kong).
2) Surveyor, ex NLB May. (Probably Gt Yarmouth).
3) Sperus, ex NLB Hesperus. (Seismic North Sea).
4) Elizabeth Bromley, Hull.
5) Rockchime, grab dredger.

Regards.........................WLH
Old 18th January 2006, 20:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
picture of SURVEYOR or BRITONIA in my gallery if it is the one you are looking for?
Jim
Old 18th January 2006, 21:18

Hi WLH:
I've just finished reading the reminiscences of your times on the 'Rockchime'.
A really interesting and enjoyable story.
It's truly worth visiting:
http://www.leithhistory.co.uk/2004/0...-i-have-known/

Bruce C.
Old 21st June 2007, 12:47

Hello WLH,

I sailed on the Sperus as Mate back in the 1970's.
She was owned by a Company by name of COSAG offices in Great yarmouth and Aberdeen.
Joined her in Great Yarmouth after a few weeks we came North to Aberdeen then on to do survey work off Orkney and Shetland.
She caused quiet a stir when she arrived in orkney and Shetland as the locals recognised her immeadiatly as the old Hesperus.
Excellent sea ship and an enjoyable time onboard.
Old 26th June 2007, 08:11

Hi Sheddy
I joined the Sperus in 82 South Shields as bosun. We were there for around three weeks then up to Dundee for conversion to for survey work. I left for a weeks leave from Lerwick but never got back , regretfully I was lured in to the big money oil stuff.
An old mate of mine got the bosun's job on my behalf Doogie Mc Guire . I heard the Sperus was gutted and went to the bottom in the Minch around 85. And John I have a wee photo of her somewhere which I will dig out and try to upload for you. I got it from mate at that time who's name was Don ??? was'nt you Sheddy ! was it ??????? Cheers !
Old 26th June 2007, 22:13

Hi Joesoap,
No my names not Don, its Jim.
Only name I remember from that dim and distant past was the skipper Bert Flett , I Think he ended up at Sullom Voe.
Other character i remember was the Stewardess, name is long gone. Also an sailor from America who could never pronounce Lerwick always used to say Leuick and another old retired sailor.
Enjoyed the times onboard.
Sheddy
Old 26th June 2007, 22:33

Sperus

HI Sheddy
Well I dug out the book and checked for a name and it was Don Carmicheal that signed me off . I think he was the 1st mate then and that the skipper had already gone off on leave which had left Don IC . Was him gave me the snap of the boat. My trip was 3/5/82 - 21/7/82 just around tens weeks but enjoyable as the survey game was new to me and quite a change of scenery. Was the bosun or that old guy you refer to not Doogie Mc Guire from Cambuslang , was Doogie that I put up for the job and he got it . Lost touch after that. Your certainly out with your time as that was her first trip on survey work.
Anyway not the worst trip of my career for sure but then looking back they were all good. A wonderful thing is nostalgia. Cheers !
Old 26th June 2007, 22:41

Sperus Pic !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLH View Post
1) Tamahine, ex NLB Fingal. (Prrobably Hong Kong).
2) Surveyor, ex NLB May. (Probably Gt Yarmouth).
3) Sperus, ex NLB Hesperus. (Seismic North Sea).
4) Elizabeth Bromley, Hull.
5) Rockchime, grab dredger.

Regards.........................WLH
WLH
Found that pic of the Sperus and scanned it to mail to you but sad to say you would'nt even recognise it as a something that floats but yet the print is not all that bad so it is probably my doing , one of the posts was on about the same thing so maybe you could put me right on that. I also tried another couple of prints the Drakensberg Castle and the Simandou but same result and they were postcards so where am I going wrong. Cheers !