Kindles & Kobo Readers - Ships Nostalgia
19:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kindles & Kobo Readers

Old 7th February 2012, 16:32

Kindles & Kobo Readers

I was thinking about getting a Kindle to keep my downloaded ancient nautical reference books on. The lady at the library, however, said that Kindles wouldn't take that sort of thing, but suggested a Kobo Reader that could have its memory extended by sticking a 32gb micro sd card in it. She said that she believed that a Kobo would accept anything in PDF. Can anyone confirm this please?
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 16:38

On checking the books that I downloaded some time ago (Ancient Lloyds Registers) from http://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...3Atexts&page=1

I find that they do, in fact, supply them in Kindle format, but as the Kobo seems more versatile, would the PDF download work in a Kobo?

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
I was thinking about getting a Kindle to keep my downloaded ancient nautical reference books on. The lady at the library, however, said that Kindles wouldn't take that sort of thing, but suggested a Kobo Reader that could have its memory extended by sticking a 32gb micro sd card in it. She said that she believed that a Kobo would accept anything in PDF. Can anyone confirm this please?
Bob

Kindle can read pdf's, just connect to your computer by USB the kindle will appear as another drive on your pc - then copy and paste them over.
This presumes your books are words not pictures?
Kindle is 4 Gb so space shouldnt be an issue.

Gareth.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:47

Looks like it would - here's a demo of someone doing it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8BAfoSWOs
Old 7th February 2012, 16:50

Thanks Gareth. The Lloyds Registers are just words, but some of the downloads of other technical books I have contain images. But when I convert word documents to PDF, the images come out OK using Acrobat Reader, or does Acrobat Reader not come into it? The reason I am leaning towards a Kobo, is the extra memory facility. My Lloyds Registers alone use up over 1 Gb and quite a lot of the other books are quite big as well.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 16:54

Gareth,
Thanks, that was an interesting little U Tube on the Kobo. Hope he didn't bust it when he dropped it at the end.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
Thanks Gareth. The Lloyds Registers are just words, but some of the downloads of other technical books I have contain images. But when I convert word documents to PDF, the images come out OK using Acrobat Reader, or does Acrobat Reader not come into it? The reason I am leaning towards a Kobo, is the extra memory facility. My Lloyds Registers alone use up over 1 Gb and quite a lot of the other books are quite big as well.
Bob
OK Bob, at this point i have to confess that my prevoius answer came from my son who is well qualified in I.T. - here's his next answer

4:49:14 PM) David: When he converts them - that's a converter engine doing the work and not adobe reader itself.
(4:49:37 PM) David: he could always buy a kobo and try it and send it back under distance selling act for a full refund if he wants a free trial (though might have to pay return postage)
(4:49:47 PM) David: if it doesnt work to his satisfaction of course
(4:49:57 PM) David: if he is keen on extra storage then yes i guess the kindle is out - 4GB only
(4:50:14 PM) David: other option would be an ipad, 16gb 32 or 64, but cost is massive
(4:50:38 PM) David: 399 at least, but then you'd have lots of other applications outside of reading PDF's on it
(4:50:46 PM) David: best screen though

Unquote Hope that helps

Gareth

Last edited by Gareth Jones : 7th February 2012 at 17:00.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:03

Gareth,
Thanks, it does. They sell Kobos in town, so I will put a register and a download with images on a micro disk and see if they will try it for me.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 17:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 1976

My location
No e-reader can handle PDF well. I'd suggest a tablet or ipad type or possibly a larger screen (9"+) e-reader. I own a Kindle 3 (6" screen), a Sony PRS-T1 (6"screen) and a Sony PRS-350 (5"screen) and they all have trouble with PDF due to the small screen size. I mentioned the larger screen e-readers for PDF as I've been reading about them on http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:52

Thanks Jacko,

I am now undecided and think the best course of action is to take my micro disk up town and see if anyone will demostrate anything to me.

I put a register and a reference book on a micro disk today in readiness.

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 19:07

Have a look at this website, it shows the features of all three KOBO models.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...ookReader.aspx

The basic readers both claim to accept PDF
The top of the range is actually a 7" tablet running Android 2.3, which will also read and display PDFs.
Old 7th February 2012, 19:40

Thanks Landsman,
It look like they can handle images. I hope someone will be able to give me a demonstration.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th February 2012, 19:44
Active: 1958 - 1976

My location
They can all read PDF, it's a clarity problem especially with diagrams,drawings or pictures.The screen is too small. I'd go with a large e-reader, 9"+(can be read in sunlight, longer battery life with e-ink, about 3 weeks). Or if colour needed, a larger tablet or ipad, but very much shorter battery life, a day or so. Can't be read very well in daylight. Ipads are very expensive tho and won't accept micro sd cards. Android will though.. So it would be either a larger e-reader or an Android tablet. all 9"+

Last edited by Jacko123 : 7th February 2012 at 22:02. Reason: grammar was always my weak point
Old 7th February 2012, 20:01

With any of the e-readers (Kindle etc), their native file formats allow for font re-sizing, change of orientation, etc.

They will also display a pdf document, however you have to concider them as a 'picture' (think the screen on the back of your digi camera) You can zoom in and move round the picture but it doesn't make for easy viewing. Also the Kindle is only b&w so no good with pics where you may need colour.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:54

I got a Kobo this morning. As far as it goes, it is fine reading the books on it, but it has defied all my attempts to add something to it. I eventually managed to get the programme into the computer, but have no idea how to transfer a PDF book into it.

The instructions are fairly straightforward - "Enjoy the Kobo reading experience" They just seem to assume that the buyer knows all about them.

I have a PDF book on an SD card - how do I get it in the Kobo? (Not the card - the PDF document!) Any ideas please?

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th February 2012, 19:39

Hi Bob

When you connect the Kobo to your computer (presumably via a USB lead) the Kobo will show up as a USB drive - probably E

Have a look into that drive, there is probably a folder where the e-books are stored.

Drag and drop the required pdf file into that folder.

Unplug the Kobo and then the pdf document will be in your Kobo library.

John
Old 9th February 2012, 20:27

Hi John,
I seem to be able to drag and drop it into the folder, but goodness knows where it goes after that. I can't find it in the list in the Kobo at all!

I have been battling with it most of the time since about midday and still can't do it.

The shop says they will be able to show me how on Saturday!

Same old story "we sell dozens of these a week and no-one ever has any problem" Then I come along with 25 years experience on computers and can't work it!

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 9th February 2012, 20:40

I just sent an e-mail to Kobo Help desk asking if they could tell me how to do it. It immediately "bounced" as undeliverable!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 10th February 2012, 00:56
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
Bob
I use Adobe Digitial Edition to load my Nook with ebook and other pdf files.

You can get Adobe Digitial Ediition (ADE) free from the Adobe web site.
Once you have the file on your computer you can browse the computer
Tolocate the fil and put the book into the book shelf. I would have
Your Kobo plugged in before opening ADE so it will find it to drag and
drop.

Joe
Old 10th February 2012, 07:00

Hi Joe,
I did download ADE and can apparently put them in the Kobo, but I can't find them once they are in! I have come to the conclusion that it is faulty and will take it back tomorrow. They say that if the e-book is placed on an SD card and put in the Kobo, it will appear in the book in a few minutes and can be read (as long as the card is left in). When I try this, it just tells me to "wait, processing the new entry" or something along those lines. It then continues to display this message until I finally get fed up of waiting (an hour or more) and turn it off. As the e-book came from the Kobo site and is a small one anyway, it should be compatible. It has downloaded correctly because if I put the SD in the computer, it reads OK!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 11th February 2012, 12:46

I took it back today. The Kobo expert had the same problem as me and decided it was faulty. An hour later, and trying three new Kobos in my presence, he couldn't get them to work either. Got refund!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 21st February 2012, 13:11
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Got myself a kindle yesterday, asked in the shop currys what it can do besides downloading books and mags. Told it's only purpose is for reading books and mags.

Ray
Old 21st February 2012, 13:33

The only reason a Kindle is no good for me is that there is no slot for an SD card to extend the memory. I have pdf downloads of a lot of ancient reference books and they wouldn't all fit in a Kindle. There is also the question of whether a Kindle can cope with pdf.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 21st February 2012, 19:25

Bob

I have the basic Kindle and I accepts pdf's no problem.

I download all minutes and agendas for a local group on to it, saves carrying loads of paper.

I'm on the Fylde coast (Thornton) is you wanted to have a look at some pdf's on one.

John
Old 21st February 2012, 19:56

Kindles are no problem as far as using them are concerened. I tried one in the store. The one and only problem is that the memory is not big enough for what I require. I have many decades of Lloyds registers in pdf and they will simply not fit in a Kindle. I can look at them on the computer OK, but it is a bit tedious if I am writing on the computer and then have to open another window to look at the Lloyds Register. If I could have an e-reader next to the computer to refer to, it would be a lot easier. I really need one that can take an SD card.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships